Compressor with gain

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by golfnut, Aug 4, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Are there many compressors with a gain knob for adding a bit of grit\dirt? List them here.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Most all of them have some kind of level control, but I don't know any that have a knob to create any kind of distortion or overdrive. That's not a compressor's job.

artdecade, dodona, marcflores and 2 others like this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pigtronix philosophers tone comps have a grit switch as well as gain that isn't dirty.
    Also they have a knob to add back some attack to keep some original dynamics while adding more to the decay.
    I have the bass version and the grit switch is not subtle.
    Might not be what you're looking for.

The Rt66 by puretone or visual sound has a pretty good comp on one side and a very nice version of a TS808 on the other side.
    You can run both and the lowest setting of that 808 circuit is an excellent clean boost, so you can add more subtle grit there.
    It also has a bass boost switch and a tone knob allowing treble and bass boost for less mid hump, should you prefer.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is your answer. The best compressor I have used and you can add some grit with the Drive pot. Only recommended for experienced compressor pedal users IMHO. IMG_4045.JPG

sanfi4u and richiek65 like this.
  6. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

7. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Analog Alien has one. It works and it’s yellow. That’s all I remember about it.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  8. cm3ohana

cm3ohana TDPRI Member

JHS Pulp N Peel v4 has a grit toggle switch and a small trim pot to adjust the amount of grit in the mix.

9. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I support via ime...the vfe white horse...and I'm a compressor noob.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Boss make a great compressor which has great sustain.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting I thought this was just a clean optical comp. Where is the drive pot? I don’t see it.

12. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

As someone mentioned, the Philosopher's Tone has a grit knob. I usually keep it turned down all the way. I'm not crazy about how it sounds. The PT, though, has some very useful features for me, anyway. The blend knob allows you to mix dry signal with compressed, the result being that you can keep your attack intact. And it has a treble knob that allows you to keep your top end present and, as a side benefit, works well at getting that nice jangly thing happening.

13. Obsessed

Top dead center. It is a black splined post sticking out. I assume so you don't accidentally bump it, but it works really well on top of a very quiet optical compressor. I had borrowed three compressors from a good buddy while he was in recording mode and learn as much as I could spending most of those two years on the Empress. I think you really need to understand all of the compression attributes, before using the White Horse. Otherwise, I think it would be easy to get lost. The gain is really something to behold, but as good compressors go, this is fairly subtle, so don't expect a RAT-in-a-compressor box.

14. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

The Philosopher's Tone is a way underrated pedal IMO. You can find them used on the cheap now, it may be just what you're looking for.

15. Obsessed

Oh, BTW, the "Response" and "Bass" on the White Horse use similar black posts. You should be able to see the line indicator on the top of these posts in the pic.

rze99 likes this.
  16. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Cali76 Compact has input & output level controls. I use the output to drive the amp & use the input to control the amulet of compression. Takes a while to learn to drive it but this thing gives a nice kick to the front end of the amp. The way I use it, it's not a subtle effect -- light compression & a fair amount of clean boost. Any dirt comes from the amp, not the pedal.

MrGibbly and Wallace Snr like this.
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Durham SexDrive

18. MilwMark

Also, if the OP specifically wants a comp with a dirt knob, why do so many feel the need to post their favorite comp that lacks that function?

19. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

My plain ol' Dynacomp is unity gain at about 2 or 3 oclock, adds enough after that to push my Blues DeVille very nicely.

20. MilwMark

The OP wants a comp with a drive knob (or maybe toggle). Why is that so hard to understand?

Every comp with enough level will drive an amp harder but that’s not what was asked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.