Compressor? Where to go in the effects chain?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by richey88, Jun 12, 2018.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Thinking about getting another compressor. My experience is dirt pedals suffer with comp before them ...do you squash everything by putting it last? Your experiences are appreciated!

4pickupguy likes this.
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I've always used compressors 1st in the chain, though I don't have one on the board at the moment. I've noticed that two things happen to the dirt pedals after a comp. They pick up additional gain by being boosted by the compressor, but at the same time the comp makes them sound "smaller" if you know what I mean. YMMV, I say experiment for best results. :cool:

studio1087 likes this.
  3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Like so many things, I don't think there is a right answer. After seemingly eons of fiddling with my pedal board I have settled on having it after my wah and fuzz but before my OD. I use the OD as a clean boost with a little mid bump. It works for the combination of sounds I am looking for. Typically, I use the gain on the amp for my dirt (it.s a Boogie) rather than from a pedal. The exception is for fuzz sounds. I can't think of any instances where I use the fuzz and the comp together... I don't like the sound of squishing modulation or time effects so it definitely goes before those.

4. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

It's all personal preference. Trey Anastasio with Phish puts his Ross Compressor after his two Tube Screamers. My tuner is first, followed by my MXR Phase 90 and Boss BF2, they go into my Keeley Compressor + into an old Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal and a Keeley modified Boss SD-1. The compressor and dirt pedals are looped through a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, then the signal goes out to a Digitech Digidelay and a Boss DD-2 to the amp - either a 76 SFDR modded to BF or a 66 BFVR. My compression level is never past 10- o'clock and the level is around 2 o'clock, which gives me a nice fat sustain that does not sound very compressed. The dirt pedals then add drive as needed. I like the phaser and flanger before compression or dirt, they seem to stay cleaner and more defined that way. Putting them after dirt "wads up" the tone in my opinion. Do it however sounds best to you.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

First.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have to agree that it depends, but I think compression is more manageable before dirt. It didn't take me long to find out that I liked it up front in the chain, but everyone should probably experiment. My logical thought is how compression is typically added on in the recording studio after recording, but for me using compression for my sound seems better early on. I do wonder if the type of amp can perhaps affect that decision, because I'm basically a Fender amp guy. FWIW

7. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

I don't know why (something about impedance?) an orange squeezer on after Fulltone '69 sounds especially glorious and huge. And the same orange squeezer (a clone by Chicago Stompworks) sounds best before a Fulltone OCD. But take this all with some salt because I also much prefer wah after all dirt.

You have to use your own ears with your own rig because none of us know what kind of nasty sound you'll like best.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Thanks all for your input!! I am thinking in between dirt and boost, but will try different things.

4pickupguy and King Creole like this.
  9. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Yup.

10. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

It may depend on how much compression is inherent to the OD circuit. I personally wanted more compression from the OCD when I tried it. Maybe I should have put a compressor before it before I sold it off.

King Creole likes this.
  11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I like the OCD boosted and tightened up a little with the compressor. I'm really fond of the OCD--I've been using it for years, and nearly always in tandem with a compressor.

4pickupguy and SweetClyde99 like this.
  12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

OCD user here (clone,haven’t had a real one in a while. I like the eno trouble.)...may have to reinstall. Trying to down size.

IMG_0058.JPG

King Creole and 4pickupguy like this.
  13. John O

John O Tele-Meister

i have always used my boss CS-3 right after the tuner, and before the BD-2 (blues driver OD/gain) and then any modulation effects used out front. i turn it off when i use the envelope filter and when i use humbucker guitars, but I almost never do...

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

After running it first for a long time I have switched it to after dirt. In fact, it’s after my preamp. The thing that convinced me was the BD-2. It’s one of those pedals that is extremely dynamic. Play soft, it’s clean. Play hard it dirties up. The compressor was killing the expression of the ODs. Then I tried it after dirt. The dynamics are all there but the nuances of the quieter stuff are enhanced. I use far less dirt and still have plenty of smoke on the leads. Less dirt is tonier and way more complex sounding IMO. Parallel compression is great for this.

This all goes out the window when playing loud... Up loud, I don’t use comp and dirt at the same time...

Experiment as suggested though!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Yep, the louder you go, the milder the compression settings you need. Especially after dirt, a little comp goes a long way.

My VFE White Horse sets after higher gain stuff like Purple Plexi but it's still in front of med-low gain pedal like Page. Comp running into Page is swank.

16. The_Nork

The_Nork TDPRI Member

I usually put my compressor right after the tuner and wah pedal, very close to the front. I use a Diamond Comp Jr. usually and sometimes a Wampler Ego Compressor.

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Kinda how I remember my past experience (DOD 280 (?)). Ordered a mini comp (kokko?) on Amazon, will try it out and move up to something if I feel the need. Thanks for TPS post and to everyone for sharing!

4pickupguy likes this.
  18. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

I like mine before dirt.
    I have tuner>wah>comp>dirt>amp
    Delay, modulation, reverb in the loop.

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

After my low gain (touch sensitive) dirt pedal(s). My comp is always on, but subtle rather than obvious squish.

I used to always run it first... but have since changed my mind on that. If I place it after my low gain dirt I get the best of both worlds. When the dirt pedal is off, the comp is still first in line.... when the dirt pedal is on I get full dynamic control of the overdrive, yet refine it just a little with the comp.

RetroTeleRod and 4pickupguy like this.
  20. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

I like my Wampler Ego before my screaming blues. I've tried them both ways and this just sounds better to my ear.

There is no right or wrong answer, though.

Do it the way you like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.