1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compressor recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TWhitelaw, Aug 25, 2016.

1. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Hands down I think the Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic is the best pedal on the market.

MacFangus likes this.
  2. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Maxon CP-101 / Ibanez CP-835

3. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Wampler Ego Compressor for me.

4. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

I agree with the OP on the Joe Walsh DC. I tried a Maxon CP9 Pro+, but had to send it back. The input signal cuts-out when you engage and disengage the compressor. Booooo!

I purchased a Joe Walsh Double Classic, and couldn't be happier. :)

grolan1 likes this.
  5. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

PS I should have mentioned I'm talking about the older '80s ones.

6. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

Was going to try a CP-101, but ended up getting the JWDC.

7. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

There's a much loved and respected fellow who pipes in on this forum from time to time named Redd Volkaert. He knows a thing or two about Teles and tone, and I'm sure he would suggest that the Durham Sex Drive you already have would provide ample compression when set right. ;-)

I've owned too many to count. I play a lot of country, but I'm not a compression nut - I tend to lean towards subtle comps that enhance tone. My all-time favorite is the most recent versions of the Bearfoot Pale Green. The Diamond is a real winner as well, but a real estate hog. I found the Wampler sound great, but a touch loud at settings I liked - of note, he has a mini version of this pedal on the way. The small box Barber is a little quieter through my rig. The Xotic is also nice, but louder than either of the Wampler and Barber for me. I did find it fatten things up more, a la XP Boost, but if you take it out of Low it has more floor noise in my rig.

Happy hunting.

8. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

I use a compressor for slide only. I've always felt that the best compression comes from the amp that supplies it. EL84 circuits are great for this, but the finest tube amp compression (IMO) comes from a NMV Marshall.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  9. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Tele-Meister

elmoscafeo likes this.
  10. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I e had a CS2 for years and absolutely loved it. Out of the blue I got the urge to try something new so I sold it to force me to get something. I'm waiting for a deal on a Seymour Duncan Vise Grip based on the feature set, great reviews, and of course YouTube videos. Wish I could find one to try out somewhere.

11. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I had an old non-LED Dyna Comp, sold it, missed it and bought a Whirlwind compressor, which to my ears sounds just like the old Dyna Comp. It has a very distinct personality and coloration so it may or may not be what you want, but it's certainly a classic sound. And it can give you ridiculous amounts of "squish" if that's what you want.

I also had a BBE Bench Press which I thought was superb, and had an extremely useful Attack control, but I really don't use compression much, especially live, so I sold it. it looks like the newer BBE Vari Comp might be the same pedal with a new name and look.

12. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

To address my previous complaint...

I decided to order a new Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic from ProGuitarShop.com. It arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be happier! :)

I don't know what's going on with Sweetwater, but nearly every pedal I've purchased from them (since returning a Kemper) is broken! Are they shipping previously returned items, in retaliation for returning the Kemper? If I purchase 3 pedals - 2 are screwed-up! I never had a problem with Sweetwater prior to returning the Kemper. Missing paperwork, fingerprints on the pedals, etc... Weird!

I'm looking forward to purchasing a proper Rumble Seat pedal as well, but not from Sweetwater.

The JWDC compressor is the best pedal-based I've ever used.

13. rockycreeker

rockycreeker Tele-Meister

Have used a Boss CS-2 for close to 35 years. Bought it brand new. Leave it on all the time - with Fender guitars my settings are Level 3 o'clock, Comp 10 o'clock, attack - fully clockwise - all the way up. The only change I make with humbuckers is the Comp goes down to 9 o'clock. When I try to do without it, it feels like half my tone is gone. I use it with several Fender amps - 76 Deluxe Reverb, 66 Vibrolux, 66 Twin. It provides a great base for my clean sound, and drives any dirt pedals I use - currently an old Keeley modded Boss Super Overdrive and a Marshall Jackhammer pedal very well.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have three that I use. An old block logo Dyna-Comp, a BBE Bench Press and a Mid-America Whisper Compressor, built from a kit. I like the BBE the best. I dial in just a little squash and leave it be. I'm not happy with the Dyna-Comp right now. Maybe I should change the battery? The Whisper Comp is an optical compressor that I use with bass. I really haven't used it much, so I can't comment on it.

Anyway, I'm going to pick up a TC Hyper Gravity just because it offers a lot of bang for the buck and I like the tone print pedals to dial in exactly what I want. There's a lot of good choices out there. Even if I get another comp, I'll keep the MXR around for the Rickenbacker.

I have a Pre-Sonus rack compressor in my PA rack that I need to pull out and play with on guitar and bass sometime just to compare with the stomp boxes.

15. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I made this same mistake, I hate to say it but I think you will regret selling that CS-2. I bought a CS-2 in '84 and it became a part of my sound. I sold it off in the early 90's and went on a path of "compression depression" for 20+ years. Nothing I tried was working for me. CS-3, Keeleys, MXR's, Wampler, countless mods, etc... etc... They just didn't feel/sound right to me. 2 - 3 years ago I found a CS-2 at a good price and bought it. THERE IT WAS! That feel/sound I had been missing for so many years. I love my CS-2.

+1... had I not gone down that silly path of chasing something better I would have been one of those 35 year users as well. I use my CS-2 in a similar way that you do, maybe just a little less compression. The CS-2 has a warmth and a feel like no other compressor I have tried.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    rockycreeker likes this.
  16. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I don't always use a compressor. But when I do, I use Moen Unicomp.

17. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

I use both the EHX Blackfinger ( since 2004 ) Optical Tube Compressor, and the new Roger Mayer 615 Smooth Limiter/Compressor.

I run the Mayer 4644 Drive 1st into the EHX Compressor, and then the Mayer 615

This really gives me huge attenuation possibilities, with no loss of harmonics, dynamics.

Blackfinger also has 2 Matched x NOS Mullard I61s.

The Mayer is also both Line Level, and Instrument Level capable. Both run on full voltage.

18. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Try having both compressor and OD on, with compressor after overdrive: it adds sustain and encourages harmonic feedback. I have a lot of fun with my Green Rhino going into my SP Compressor; even modest settings give you ring for days.

To the OP: another vote for the Xotic SP Compressor. I've previously had a Boss CS-2, a Janglebox and a Philosopher's Tone. My SP does everything I want it to.

TelePrankster and dlew919 like this.
  19. MacFangus

MacFangus TDPRI Member

I've discovered that a compressor is redundant, when used with an EL84 amplifier.

dlew919 likes this.
  20. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

By coincidence I played a mooer today. I'm seriously considering it ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.