1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compressor recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TWhitelaw, Aug 25, 2016.

1. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

How about NO compressor. I will not put them on my pedalboards. I've made a decision a long time to spend the money on really good pickups in my axes, like Lollars, BareKnuckle, suhr, Fralin....I've seen guitarists who rely so much on their compressors, that they seem lost when they're not playing their own rig & the "always on" comp.

2. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

BBE Varicomp cheap and effective

3. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

Just want to thank all of you. You guys are AWESOME to take the time to write such detailed and thoughtful replies. I got something out of just about every single reply here.
    I did have a Keeley 4-knob a couple of years ago and never liked it (believe me, I tried). This time around, I'm gonna try the Xotic SP; most folks seem to like it and it seems like a "can't go wrong" kind of a unit. Thanks again to all of you, I REALLY appreciate your time and input.
    This line, from Moosie, was especially insightful: "First, if you're new to a compressor, plan to give it time. When I first got my first (Wampler Ego), I thought it was broken. It made everything sound 'bad'. At the beginning, for me, the right settings were very elusive."

songtalk, TelePrankster and dlew919 like this.
  4. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

Well, that's what I've been doing for quite a number of years now. And, on the subject of PUPs, I've been thinking of upgrading to some Keystones for my beloved 60th Anniv B-bender Just thought I'd give it a whirl with a compressor, mainly for some more sustain.

songtalk likes this.
  5. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

No pedal of mine is always on (for what it's worth). If the overdrive goes on the compressor goes off. If the Wah or envelope filter goes on the compressor goes off. Sometimes I'm straight into the amp. For me pedals are extra spice not the foundation.

6. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Another fan of the Xotic SP here, fantastic pedal. I avoid the High setting which can introduce some white noise. I usually keep it Low anyway because I'm using alnico speakers and tube rectifier amps, which are already introducing some nice compression.

lavinci likes this.
  7. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

I used it for a while and avoided the high switch position for the same reason and others (over-squashed tone, output volume hard to set right etc.) to the point I never used it anymore. Low and middle position are way more manageable.

lavinci likes this.
  8. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Demeter Compulator. Super transparent. Highest quality.

9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I thought I had chimed in here. I use the Xotic SP Compressor, and I think it's fantastic. Mine's always on, always! Vol and blend about 70%, toggle set to low. So I get a bit more than just a touch of compression without it being overbearing. And believe me, I can definitely hear a difference between the toggle on Low and the toggle on Hi. Maybe I couldn't at first, but after having it on my board for several months, I can definitely hear a difference in settings. Also, I have become more aware of compression in recorded songs/songs I listen to.

lavinci, songtalk and TelePrankster like this.
  10. NM Craig

NM Craig TDPRI Member

I've owned and used the Keely 4 knob, Wampler
    Ego and Boss CS 2 (which I used for over 20 years). These are all fine comps with my favorite being the Ego. I recently bought a Joyo Pipe Bomb Compressor used for 30 bucks. I really do not like this comp..I simply hate it..

11. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a compressor as well, I really like the Fairfield Circuitry 'Accountant..But the thumbs-up of the Exotic SP and the Mooer Yellow on this thread might change my mind

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I generally detest compressors with 6-string as they absolutely destroy pick dynamics and create very bad habits - EXCEPT ones with a dry blend control. I keep an Xotic SP on hand for very specific uses, as its blend control seems to provide the best combination of smooth sustain, low noise floor and good dynamics. I only use it, though, for pedal and lap steel and a few rock tunes. NEVER for country (the squashed, snapping rubber band sound is something that causes me to hit the "off" switch in seconds!).

Where I DO use an old-school compressor (and not a Dyna Comp - I have an old Ibanez CP-835) with electric 12-string, however. That's one instrument where the prototypical Byrds/Beatles/Petty tone results from tons of compression - but it's thousands of dollars of studio compression units, which are NOT the same as stomp boxes. however, I've found the CP835 gets me a really good, controllable "jangle" with my oddball (but very Rick-like tone wise) Strat-style 12 with Duncan lipsticks and Rick 360 and 330-12's (which otherwise sound like a sitar falling down concrete stairs...)

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Which seems odd because sooooo much of country music is compressed too heck

TelePrankster likes this.
  14. TelePrankster

TelePrankster Tele-Meister

An over-compressed CLEAN Telly can sound awesome for country, but it's not something you can use for any kind of music, maybe funky stuff.
    Since the day I put my comp after dirt I like it way more subtle and it's almost always on.

15. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

The pigtronix philosopher's rock was on sale for $70 recently. There may be compressors out there but it's the best I've tried yet and at 70 it's a killer deal.

16. Dardeau

Dardeau TDPRI Member

I also use an analogman bi comp, in my case a mini. I set the internal attack for the Ross side to be pretty transparent to even out my fingerpicking, and the leave the juicer side to do the sustainy highly effected thing. I think a mix knob would just have me overthinking it.

17. lavinci

lavinci TDPRI Member

exotic SP Comp... this mini-pedal sounds great...
    really nice comp....

I've tried, Bi-compressor & Orange Juicer from AM, also had the Origin SlideRig (great but big, did not try the new smaller model) and a Keeley two knob (very good too)... but the Exotic SP Comp runs in the middle of the pack. I know its wrong to say this, but it reminds me a bit of each of my previous comps.
    The mix knob and the internal dip switches are very functional.

its first in my signal chain and does a few things for me:
    1) fattens up the tele - oh yeah, without killing your tone... the more comp you add the more color you get... so I typically run the low setting.
    2) Wah-> SP Comp->Sunface (FF)... dang thing made my Wah come to life on the low end (heel). I've heard about using a buffer in a Wah, but just didn't realize it until I put the SP comp between the Wah and the Sunface. The WAH pedal sounds great now!!!!
    3) on a 'Hi' setting, I can get that sustain-thing happening.. great with slide
    4) using the SP comp, can even-out your string dynamics when finger picking (slide), or get that "Sultans of Swing" snap
    5) even after a good fuzz pedal, is another good spot for a compressor...
    6) yes, that Nigel Roger, Chic funk strumming thing too

somebody once said that the compressor is the OD pedal for your clean sound... that has always stuck with me ...

YMWV so try a bunch, they all have quirks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  18. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

The thing about subtle parallel compression is it makes you sound "studio" live if done right. It's awesome having a blend knob.

19. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

If you want to go cheap, I have a Joyo "Dyna Compressor" that sounds great. 35 bucks.

P

20. les_Niobides

les_Niobides TDPRI Member

Had a Strymon OB1, which was the one Strymon pedal that disappointed. No squish at all but it did have a very transparent boot, which wasn't very useful to me.
    After much research I got a Walrus Deep Six. Incredible squish and also great boost too. Zero noise.
    Highly recommend it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.