1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compressor recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TWhitelaw, Aug 25, 2016.

1. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

Hello my fellow Telegeeks. I'm looking into getting a compressor for my rig. Can y'all please tell me what you like and/or don't like? I've heard good things about the Wampler and a couple of others but would love for youse to weigh in. I'm not looking to color the tone a lot but increase sustain and perhaps thicken the sound just a tad. I never cared for the Boss blue Compressor the few times I've played thru them.
    My standard board has a KLON, OCD, Supa-Trem, Durham Sex Drive, and Carbon Copy running thru a '64 Princeton Reverb. I play a lot of roots-type music meaning country, rock n roll, bluesy rock, etc. No metal or prog stuff. Old school stuff for the most part.
    My main Tele is a 60th Anniversary Tele w/ stock PUPs to which I added a Glaser B-bender.
    That's it! Would love to hear from you.

Attached Files:

TelePrankster likes this.
  2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I fingerpick, slide only on electric, and a compressor evens out the volume. - I'm not looking for sustain, though it has that side-effect. I've tried a few compressors, including a couple I built, and my favourite is an oddball - a Boss LMB-3. This is a bass limiter, but it has what I see as sensible controls - Threshold and Ratio, as opposed to the more common Sustain; it produces a small amount of "squish" that I like.It also has an Enhance control, which although intended for bass, will brighten up a warm guitar pickup, eg a covered humbucker.

3. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Anything that has a blend knob and you'll be laughing. The wampler ego, barber tone press, xotic sp comp. At least those are my preference.

studio1087 and songtalk like this.
  4. Tony Done

Yes, the blend control on the BYOC five-knob I built was good for fine-tuning the tone. There are a lot of pedals where a blend control would be good (eg reverb), so I bought a Boss LS-2, which can be used as a mixer.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I have a Wampler Ego and like it a lot. The blend control is very useful.

6. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

Laughing in a good way or in a bad way?

Deckard likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

In a good way.

lavinci and songtalk like this.
  8. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

What exactly does a compressor pedal do? What is the purpose/benefit? I have no experience at all with them.

9. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

What Deckard said. I play the same kind of stuff through either old Fenders or an 18 watter and have a Tone Press and dig what it does but the other two he mentioned will get you there too.

10. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I play kinda similar music you do (rockabilly, rootsy rock, honkytonk country, alt.country), and I really like that tiny Mooer Yellow Comp - very unobtrusive, no pumping, no "obviosu" compression, just gentle levelling, and a bit more sustain; and that "tilt EQ" knob is also very useful for tailoring the sound of the pedal for your instrument & amp.

11. Tony Done

A compressor reduces the dynamic range of the signal, by reducing the high peaks. The whole signal is then amplified to get back to a working level. The fine print on how they actually work can get very complicated, but basically they increase the apparent sustain and give a more uniform output. An unfortunate side-effect is that the input background noise is amplified relative to the overall musical signal. Many compressors have an "attack" control that I think adjusts how quickly the compressor reacts to a high peak. There is also an effect of how quickly the compression releases after the signal goes below the threshold, and this can result is interesting "sag" or "squish" effects.

TelePrankster likes this.
  12. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I bought a Keeley Blue Vein compressor. Two knobs. Two internal trim pots if one desires to tweak more. These two knobs do more than enough for me

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  13. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I'm not a huge compressor guy but the xotic is pretty versatile and has a small footprint. I've had it for a few weeks and like it thus far. I also have a Barber tone press that works well.

iandi1505, studio1087 and songtalk like this.
  14. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the 4 knob Keeley and like it a lot. Helpful to have the trim pot on the outside if you are changing guitars often. I think that will do what you're after.

I haven't tried one with a blend knob yet, but I'd like to.

TelePrankster and Stratohacker like this.
  15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This.

16. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I'd be interested to hear which you prefer. I have had a tone press for 2 years now and it's on all the time. I really can't imagine myself liking a compressor more than this one....but the SP intrigues me.

17. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

Well boy howdy I can get the Yellow Comp on Amazon for 58 bucks! Do you think there's a world of difference btwn the Yellow Comp and, say, the Rothwell Love Squeeze which is $200. "You get what you pay for" etc etc. Too many durn choices (that's a good thing!).

18. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

I've owned a number of compressors over the years. If I were only allowed one compressor pedal for the rest of my days it would be a script dyna-comp. For optical compressors, my favorite thus far is the Diamond.

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the Mooer Yellow Comp. Great compressor!

20. smithsonian

smithsonian Tele-Meister

I really like my Suhr Koji comp. it has a mix knob, and a 3 way voicing switch that covers a lot of ground.
    However, if money was no option, I'd go with a Slide Rig compressor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.