Compressor question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by onlybrowning, Feb 4, 2011.

1. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

I just got my first compressor, a MXR dyna comp. I have never used one before, so I'm not atte exactly what is should be doing. I feel like I can't play with any dynamic when using it. Is this what it its supposed to do? Also I have it right after my wah pedal, second in line on my chain.

2. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, what effect did you get it for?

For me, compressors for electric guitar have two main uses:
    -) 12-string guitar just doesn't sound right without a compressor, it is a must for that Byrds-Rickenbacker-jangle type sound.
    -) Modern country chicken picking tones - a compressor helps getting those snappy, popping tones.

For everything else, a compressor is not essential; some people use it to get slightly more sustain for solos, esp. with clean tones, and some people (me included) occasionally use it as a booster with the actual compression set very low (this way you get a slightly more "in your face" boost than with an actual booster); the key with these uses is to go really subtle on the compression, so that the effect is barely noticeable, it's more of a "feel" thing - you notice it working when playing, but it shouldn't jump right at you exclaiming "compression at work"; less is more really applies most of the time with that effect!

3. Stratfink01

Stratfink01 TDPRI Member

When I first got my compressor it took some time to get used to it. But now I never turn it off and I think it's great even for dynamic blues playing. I think they can do wonders for fattening up tone. You just have to adjust how you play in different ways than you may have previously.

4. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

The trick to a compressor is to NOT turn the sustain\sensitivity all the way up. Depending on the compressor, I never go further than 12:00. Often not higher than 1\4 to 1\3.

Despite my love of compressors, I DO NOT like the Dyna-Comp because even with the sens. control almost entirely off, it is still too much. I think the Super Comp by MXR was a major improvement with its addition of an attack control.

But you have the pedal, so maybe to serious tweaking will help you get it where it will work for you. Try turning the sensitivity control all the way off and gradually inching it up little by little.

5. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Yes. Yes it is.

6. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

I whole-heartedly agree with Roman,its how I use my LM-2 or CS-2.

7. dinkymau

dinkymau TDPRI Member

I own a boss compressor sustainer I used to use it as a booster, now I use it to fatten my solos and add some sustain and nice tone to it, I use it too when I solo with my guitar clean, it gives me a boost and smoothens my sound, you should definitely experiment with your compressor buddy, everybody has their own purposes haha good luck

8. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

No. no it's not.

That's the opinion of the anti-compressor crowd. Why you people are determined to make the rest of us conform to your preference is beyond me.

An intelligently implemented quality compressor DOES NOT necessarily have to kill dynamics.

9. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

What makes you think I'm anti-compressor??? I've been using compressors onstage and in the studio for close to twenty years because they make the quiet parts louder and the loud parts quieter. That's what they're supposed to do.

Sorry if I'm one of "you people" for standing up for reality.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/compressors.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/mixing-music/compression-audio-mixing.htm

Are those the opinions of the "anti-compressor" crowd? Is every studio engineer I've ever worked with part of the "anti-compressor" crowd? LOL.

10. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

I just bought a set of 3 dan electro pedals off the bay, dirt cheap. I have a FAB chorus, corned beef rev. and a compressor called surf and turf. I have only tried the compressor pedal through my AC15. Makes it sound better BUT when I switch it off you can barely hear the amp. It seems to more than double the vol output but again it makes it sound good. It also has much more back ground noise when using it.

I also have a Ibanez TS9, it says TS7 on it but the switch says TS9 and HOT so I am going with the 9. Anyways with that plugged into my amp it sounds even better than the compressor pedal without alot of undue background noise as long as I use the 9 switch setting, HOT makes it to much of a good thing for my tastes. The tone doesn't seem to be as lush as the compressor but it overdrives the amp clean channel a bit easier and you have more control over the tone coming out of the amp. I can just roll the tone off a bit on my guitar and get exactly what I want out of it.

Now all this being said I have to tell ya I ain't a big pedal fan at all actually. I like a bit of reverb through an amp either clean or dirty. That's pretty much it. I use the master volumes and volumes along with my guitar's tone and vol to get the sound I am after, and if all else fails I'll use my fingers, but not so well, to get a bit fatter tone even. thanks

11. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Having control over dynamics and eliminating dynamics completely are not the same thing. You seemed to agree on the latter in your first response:

I think that's what led to this misunderstanding.

12. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

For some reason (the reason I'm quite sure is that I need to set my guitar up a little differently) both my strat and my tele drop out a little on the high E string. I was hoping a compressor might compensate for this a bit, but when I tried it last night it seemed to make it worse. Which knob have I got turned the wrong way? <G>

Justin

13. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

just don't overload the psi rating and avoid hiss. .

14. onlybrowning

onlybrowning Tele-Meister

Update...I had a few minutes ti mes with the dyna comp today and have found its usefulness. Just as recommended the output to normal amp volume with it off and sensitivity there to fatten sound a but while still allowing lots of dynamics.

15. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

Precisely. There's way too much evidence that shows that a properly used compressor will not eliminate your guitars dynamics. Too many live a studio recordings that prove this point, the evidence is there if you just look for it.

If used well, a compressor can give a guitar the kind of compression (aka "sag")
    that a tube rectifier imparts.

Careful with that axe Eugene....

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great for slide too.

17. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I love it. While the experts are bickering amongst themselves, the guy who asked the question has quietly figured it out for himself :D I'm a fan of the compressor for many things, glad you found how to make it work for you!

18. ironmike

ironmike Tele-Meister

I use a compressor for sustain and volume consistency when playing slide. On some songs, I like the slide work to have almost a steel guitar sound which is much more easy to attain with a compressor.

19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

How do you set your compressor? I usually play slide with some distortion on because I like a little dirt in the tone, but it would be nice to get the same kind of sustain if I'm playing clean.

Justin

20. ironmike

ironmike Tele-Meister

I'm very unorthodox so I might not be the right guy to ask, but I run my Keeley with both knobs at full blast for alot of what I play. I like to push the front end of the amp hard while getting maximum sustain. This provides a creamy, long sustaining, slightly overdriven sound.

In live situations I use this setting for clean sounds as well, but I usually roll back my volume on the guitar a bit. This really isn't the optimal way to use the pedal, but I don't like having to re-adjust my settings in the middle of a show. I only play a few songs totally clean.

For studio clean work its different. The setting I use for for clean is to keep the sustain up and the level down. I start with the sustain up all the way, and then adjust the level so it sounds right.

I feel this is the best way for anyone to approach a two knob Keeley or DynaComp style compressor....always set your sustain first, and then set your level.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.