1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compressor Pedals w/o pick thunk/clunk ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NoTeleBob, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Yes, it was hard to get it over-squash. I think it may have a large amount of the dry signal mixed in. Whatever they did made it work for the rock stuff I was playing.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

This: (my edits)
    Think of it as how fast can the attack dog get on top of that pick sound to prevent it from coming thru unattenuated. That pick sound is super fast, the very first piece of the guitar note to come thru before any tone or pitch comes thru, maybe coming thru in the first 5 or 10 or 20 milliseconds. If the pick sound takes 20ms to get thru then the compressor needs to be capable of an attack setting that is faster than 20ms, probably something like 5ms or 10ms in order to attenuate the pick sound before it gets thru. Not many pedals can do faster than 5ms, but the better ones can. Most of the rack mount compressors can do 2ms or 1ms attack settings.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  3. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Don’t know if it would suit your particular need but Keeley has B-stock pedals on sale now. Having the blend knob suits a lot of folks and might be an option for you.

When you start really getting into compressors it can be as deep a whole as other types of pedals. In my experience they aren’t quick, easy pedals to learn and master but have a ton of useful applications.

4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Updating this aged thread... I decided to go with the Engineer's Thumb. 5-knob with control of everything and as fast an attack as I might want. We'll see what it does!

I ordered a kit from these guys to build it. I'll report back when it's done.

https://www.musikding.de/Engineers-Thumb-Compressor-kit

northernguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.