1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compressor Pedals w/o pick thunk/clunk ?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by NoTeleBob, Feb 24, 2021.

1. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Are there compressor pedals that don't have the common clunk/thunk when they are used to pick single strings? That "pick click" that they seem to add? I know it's popular with some music (perhaps country?). But I'm just looking to get the compression without the clunk.

Qualifier: The compression pedals I've tried have effectively only one knob (compresion/threshhold) and then maybe a volume control to control output level.

Does a compressor that adds controllable attack, ratio, blend, etc have the ability to do what I want? Or do I need to add something else or do something different? (I'm not using a lot of pedals simultaneously).

2. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Get something with a blend control. I like the xotic sp, but the are plenty of other options.

3. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

I don't have an issue like the one you're describing with the Mooer Yellow Comp. It's pretty nice. Low noise.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I hear a sound like a baseball card in bicycle spokes whenever I try a pick, which is one reason I quit using them many years ago.

I think the boss compressor has an "attack" knob to turn down, as does that white shell JHS one that came out recently.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I use the EHX Tone Corset. Dumb name, kinda silly paint job. Excellent pedal. It has adjustable attack, and a blend knob to bring in more of your straight signal. I’m fairly sure it’ll do what you want.

northernguitar and bgmacaw like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The more expensive, the quieter. My philosophy about compressor pedals, is the more knobs the better. Basically, anything less than four knobs is combining compression attributes for you, so that you can adjust the compression faster and easier, but you lose control of adjusting those attributes separately.

Norris Vulcan and buster poser like this.
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I like the Mooer also. It replaced the CS-2 that I used for years. It doesn't have an overly exaggerated attack, but it can still get ridiculously squishy if you crank it. I keep it down around 9 o'clock.

bendercaster likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm interpreting you correctly, the "thunk" is that brief moment before the comp detects the note and clamps down so the initial picking seems more prominent. My kit build from BYOC has an attack knob and that gets rid of that because it starts to squeeze the note immediately.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed, I'd much rather have the knobs and not need them than need them and not have them.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I really like the JHS Pulp’N’Peel. It has a simple to use blend of raw and compressed signal and it is great for setting a little roof on the level without any squish and can bring up soft notes if you need. It’s very transparent. It’s also got a DI built in and some other unique features.

11. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

You are hearing the attack time, which tends to be a bit long with guitar compressors so it lets the pick attack get thru.

The MXR M87/M76 are the same pedal packaged differently, and that pedal is a copy of the Urei 1176. The 1176 was a studio compressor/limiter very well known for it's incredibly fast attack times. If I wanted to eliminate the click, I'd get a M87/M76 and start with the attack at its slowest and the release at its fastest. Crank the input and output until you have several dB of gain reduction, then adjust the attack until the click is gone. Then set the input and output again until it sounds the way you want.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

My Boss CS3 has an attack control and lowering the sustain control makes it act as limiter - which is the effect you are after by the sound of it.

I can choose to have any degree of click. The tone control helps too if I want warm or jangle.

Sounds like you are playing one trick pony compressors. Try a 4 knob type.

13. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

+1. Great reply!

As the good Dr. said, you want something with a very fast attack. So avoid the common VCA types (dynacomp, CS-1/2, etc). As others mentioned, you may also like a blend control as it allows you to smooth things out, although IMO it's a bit of a different animal.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, they do. You can also accomplish this by splitting the signal essentially running the dry signal in parallel to the comp. Its easier to get a comp with a blend knob though. The Xotic SP suggested above is the old Ross circuit with the blend knob added. They can be had used for very little spondukage.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I think there are two things you’re hearing~
    The initial attack before the comp clamps down, and the fact that by design, compression includes raising the noise floor.
    The more comp you dial in, the more pick clatter, finger noise, string squeals, etc are going to get amplified.
    Compensate by adjusting comp attack, and ratio.
    Blend knobs are a sort of work around compromise.
    Dump the pick and use your fingers.

nic'o'caster likes this.
  16. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  17. michiganguitar

michiganguitar TDPRI Member

Boss CP-1x. None of that unless you set it for that. To me, it just evens things out and makes everything sound better. Only compressor I’ve kept (maybe because it doesn’t sound like a compressor).

Telewielder likes this.
  18. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I turn the volume down on the guitar volume knob and turn the Compressor Boss cs3 volume up to compensate:)

19. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree. It's a Diamond clone. Doesn't have the Dyna Comp qualities you are referring to. I personally like the click so I just picked up a DC clone, lol.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The two I've had both don't have this at some or all settings:

- Orange Kongpressor
    - Keeley Compressor+

Maybe the Keeley had it due to the whole OTA/Dynacomp/Ross heritage but I don't recall it being bad.

The Orange is dead quiet for a compressor (it's optical).. but sometimes it seems so subtle I wish I'd kept the Keeley.

It does sound like you're looking for optical perhaps.

Have you tried a different pick? I assume you're attacking the strings really hard? Sometimes it seems like a different pickup height setting + different actual pick/pick attack can affect these sounds a lot.

bgmacaw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.