Compressor Help!

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by will91, Mar 12, 2017.

1. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Hey guys, hoping to get some quick advice. I am on the verge of adding a compressor to my board. I am looking for something to work in an always on capacity to help even things out, add sustain and all round lift my tone. I have narrowed my search down to three all in my price range -

Xotic SP
    Pigtronics Philosophers Tone (Micro)
    TC Hyper Gravity

Would appreciate any comments or experience. I mainly play worship in the Hillsong, Crowder, Passion vein.

Current rig is: Tele - Tuner - JHS Morning Glory - Ib TS9 - Volume - Boss DD7 - EQD Dispatch Master - Boss TR2 - Strymon BlueSky - Amp

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

For a subtle always on I personally gravitate towards optical. The pigtronix is the only one you have but afaik it might not be the easiest to dial in. Of the three you have I would go with the Xotic but I would encourage you to consider other optical compressors with low comp ratios (e.g. 4:1). I use a Maxon CP101 but there are many others, the Diamond being likely the most notable example. If you want small and cheap, Mooer's yellow comp is a clone.

If you haven't seen this yet, this is the best resource for comp reviews: http://www.ovnilab.com/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Thanks man, appreciate the tip. I seem to be leaning towards the Pigtronix and it has the blend know like the SP to ensure I can dial in something subtle enough not to get in the way. Jumping on Ovnilab now.

blille likes this.
  4. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

That one has parallel compression, I think... It should, mostly, bring up the low levels.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

When I decided to put a compressor on my board, I played a bunch of them. Several Ross types, Diamond, Strymon, and Empress. The Empress was the winner for me. I Can't recommend it highly enough.

6. jvanginkel

jvanginkel TDPRI Member

The blend option is a necessity for me with an "always on" compressor. I use a Ross type with a blend control and I feel like I can still play dynamically, without everything being squashed or lifted.

7. Dardeau

Dardeau TDPRI Member

I use a Ross type with a blend as well. I actually just bought one of the new mini Dyna Comps to stack with the Ross type Lowell George style for slide. They are really cool, but without the blend probably not good for always on. The SP has size and a blend knob going for it.

jvanginkel likes this.
  8. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I love the tc hypergravity. Love the flexibility and blend knob

9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I have had so many compressors I can't remember.
    I kept hoping I'd get results others got.
    The only one quiet enough and made an improvement is the
    SP!

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Might be a little above the range your considering, but I'm very pleased with the Wampler Ego. It allows you add a little sparkle and body to your tone. You really miss it when you turn it off. Very transparent in the clean tones which is important to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.