Compressor, do I need one?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vanr, May 26, 2019.

1. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

Now we’re gettin somewhere. That pedal’s a Plexi clone, right? If so, lots of nice mids.

Do your amps have separate EQ for each channel? If so, push the mids on the clean channel up. I bet that solves the issue.

If not, try kicking on the EQ pedal with the mids pushed when you go to the clean channel.

But the simplest path is to use your clean channel for your clean and your dirty channel for dirty, as you mention. Then you are not adding a separate EQ item as well (the Caline pedal) when you go to the dirty channel.

Either way, Hope that helps. Rock on!

2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I first got a compressor because I was new at electric guitar and playing a tele in the praise band at church. I occasionally would get a big spike note unexpectedly (not cool in worship service). A lot of reading here led me to get the Wampler Ego. While it can definitely smooth things out, I discovered that when adjusted appropriately, it really adds a lot of sparkle and presence to single coils. I now play it with the attack and sustain turned way down most of the time and the blend at 12:00. It can definitely do the squish if you want that tele bridge country sound and sustain forever if you want to play Carlos Santana, but I use it mostly to enrich my tone. When you turn it off, things sound more bland. Getting one with a blend knob seems to be the secret to keeping it from having that heavily processed sound.

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Yep... a compressor can definitely enrich tone - that's why I love it.

4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Just get one and see for yourself. The Mooer Yellow is a cheap entry point that sounds very good. I have a Cali76 and a Xotic SP and actually prefer the Mooer in many situations.

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I've been using an SP for a couple years. Lately I've become mildly obsessed over blending a compressor with a low gain overdrive at home.

Just picked up this Keeley for a really good deal.
    IMG_20190608_081428864.jpg

It's a completely different animal from the SP. I saw an interview with Robert Keeley today on YouTube where he explained there are more than one type of compressor; loosely based on it's function or intended purpose.

I guess I am starting down a rabbit hole now.

7. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Yes it's a Carl Martin Plexitone clone.

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I had an Xotic SP Comp for a while, because I "thought " I needed one. It's a good peddl, I found uses for it, but ultimately sold it. Why? Because I did not NEED it. I think compressors make the smallest change in your tone per dollar spent out of all Effects. I can see cleanish slide players needing one for extra sustain, and chicken pickers needing one, because that's THAT sound. Blues and rock thru dirty tube amps? You dont need one.

TelePunkJCM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.