Compressor as a boost

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Aug 23, 2019.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Is there a stand out choice for this application without getting noisy and processed sounding?

I thought the Tech 21 Boost Comp looked like a cool choice but they're aren't many used and still fetching $150. That way I'd have an independent clean boost along with it.

People seem to like the Diamond for this but that would have to be a Mooer for me, lol.

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a Keeley 4 knob. It boosts the single coil input to match the humbuckers on my SG and Annie. I also use it to balance between strings and to add a little thickness. I don’t know if it’s still available new but you should be able to find it on Reverb.

MrGibbly likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

that's how I use my Cali76 compact -- three knob version -- light compression and a stiff kick to the front end of the amp. Any compressor is going to add some noise but this is tolerable, and running at 18v it has a lot of dynamic range & punch. Not cheap, though.

JL_LI, MrGibbly and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I have both. The Yellow Comp sounds pretty good and it's considerably less expensive.

5. schenkadere

That's what I figure...have you tried it in this capacity?

6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Bad idea

You get a boost...? but you kill dinamics and you kill your tone

Obsessed likes this.
  7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a boost that works as a comp...JHS Prestige.

8. RetroTeleRod

Yes.

9. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

It really depends on the amp. If it’s already on the edge of breaking up then a clean boost is probably more appropriate, but if there’s still a lot of headroom a compressor can make a fine booster.

awasson and joebloggs13 like this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have a Keeley Compressor Plus right now, it'll do this.

However I used to have an Orange Kongpressor.. the Kongpressor was a vastly better boost than the Keeley. The Keeley is pretty darn noisy on the gain channel of my amp, the Kongpressor was pretty much dead silent.

I want to say the Keeley might have a more severe compression ratio available. Hard to say. I have been thinking of getting another Kongpressor. After having the Keeley and also trying the xOtic SP compressor I miss the Kongpressor, it is a very very good one. It's just kind of huge.

On the clean channel of the amp the Keeley is good for funk sounds. The Orange was ridiculous as as boost with huge sustain while maintaining the attack. I am not sure I buy into the Parallel Compression/Blend knob approach, the Kongpressor had a separate attack & release control that would let you preserve the attack while having incredible sustain, overall I think it was better than the blend knob. Maybe the blend knob is just closer to how most guitar players think though.

11. schenkadere

Yeah, boosting a dirty amp. I thought maybe an optical may not get as mushy. Currently using a clean boost, but in the market for a second comp and wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The Kongpressor or another optical compressor would be worth a look.

They're quiet and at least in the case of the Kongpressor you could really dial it, it was never going to be mushy.

The Keeley is almost as noisy on the dirty channel as turning on a Fuzz or Muff. Pretty disappointing actually, and I'm not cranking the sustain knob or level knob. If you set the sustain to 50%, Volume to Unity, Blend almost anywhere you'll get a bunch of hiss noise. Turning the tone knob up makes the noise worse. I leave the tone knob at like 9 o'clock though, my setup does not need any help to stay bright with the compressor on.

13. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I use my Xotic SP as a boost with the toggle on the lowest setting and both knobs at about 2:00. I find this to be a nice enhancer w/o being squishy.

fatcat and dswo like this.
  14. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I was floored by the Rivera Sustain Shaman compressor/boost pedal. It's outstanding. Alas I couldn't spring for the $300 it was going to cost me, and they are friggin' hard to find. I ended up getting a Mrs.DVK boost/compressor for under $100 and it's a close second behind the Rivera. Seriously good boost pedal and compressor for the money.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you are using a comp as a boost into an amp that’s breaking up, just make sure it has a blend function. The volume boost will drive the amp harder, the parallel thing will preserve your dynamics and the added compression underneath will make things sing. A singing lead tone with far less drive is a beautiful thing. Comps can make great boost. I know a guy who uses one of the little SP comps as a boost ahead of his drives and sounds good and those things are tiny and inexpensive.

I dream of getting one of the Origin Effects offerings some day..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Wampler Ego- (4 knob) provides a nice sparkly tone enhancement if adjusted so. I recently got a deluxe strat with vintage noiseless PUs. They're way lower output so the Ego gets pressed into service, turning the volume up 20% brings the level the amp is seeing back up to par. Why not just get one of those spark booster pedals?

17. schenkadere

I think I simply need a 2 channel amp as opposed to falling down a pedal rabbit hole and wind up spending twice as much as I would for said amp.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

But where's the fun in that? :lol:

19. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Well, with a compressor that does not manage boost separately (and most do not) the effect all depends completely on how much compression you dial in. At high compression (or "sustain" settings, you get -- guess what? -- high compression and you do lose pick dynamics because that's the point (cutting off extremes). But with many compressors, that doesn't have to be the case, and you can up the level while keeping the actual compression low, minimal, or in some cases, nil. In most cases, using separate pedals gives more functionality, but I have found it quite possible to set a comp for minimal squash. As for noise, depending on what comes before the comp, you can easily boost noise, especially with strong comp settings, because, again, that's what the compressor is doing: amplifying weaker parts of the signal. A noisy pedal feeding the comp will have its noise magnified big time. I use moderate settings and by careful adjustment have had few problems w/ noise, even w/ cheapie compressors like the Dyna-Comp. Some use noise gates -- not me.

20. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

A compressor sounds great on it's own, but in a loud band setting, I find it gets lost in the mix.

schenkadere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.