Compression to control even volume

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by waynereed, Jul 22, 2014.

1. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

I've just recently started working on some pedal steel
    techniques on a standard tuned 6 string.

What I find I'm missing is having all strings darned near
    the same volume.

My guitars are tuned up and adjusted correctly. Pick ups,
    etc. proper height. And for most playing, in general,
    sound fine.

So I started working on my 1st countryesque, kinda tune.
    I figured Sleepwalk would be a great tune to do.

From what I've read, steel players use compressors to
    get that tight, well, compressed sound. But the comp pedals
    I have seem more like OD/Dist pedals.

I'm not a novice player, but going from Blues (with an edge)
    to clean pedal steel sounds isn't happening by accident! LOL

Any advice as to how to use a compressor pedal to do what I'm looking
    for? (Other than the obvious, like "Don't turn your gain so high, dude!") LOL

Any suggestions as to what comp pedal works really well to control volume of each string?

Oh, while I have your attention . . . funny thang . . . kinda . . .

One of my guitars (USA 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat) . . . seems like
    when I get past the 15th fret, on the high strings, the volume really
    drops off. Any ideas?

2. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

The type of compressor will make a difference. A Boss CS-2 or an MXR Dynacomp is not a very "clean" compressor and will add dirt to your sound. Try a Barber Tone Press, Xotic SP or other compressor that blends in the uncompressed sound ("parallel compression).

3. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

Thanks, Jaye! You listed the 2 comp pedals I have! LOL

I'll pick up a parallel comp!!!!

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Well - to each his own I guess :)

I have never had any problems getting pedal steel effects from a BOSS CS-2 or even a CS-3 along with some right hand technique. Run everything around noon and you will be fine. If it's adding dirt, it isn't the compressor - it's triggering something else down the line. A Boss is not a studio grade compressor - but it's perfectly fine for what you are trying to do.

As for one with a blend control - I'm not sure how that will help you. A parallel comp is great for a guitar player trying to allow the natural attack through - but that is what you are trying to avoid.

I also play pedal steel... rarely do steel players use a comp (some certainly do). Technique gets the strings to attack at the same level, and they do that with the volume pedal kept fairly low. As the sound of the steel starts to taper off, they push the volume pedal keeping the volume consistent. Steel players keep a lot of volume "on tap" for this reason. If they ever hit a chord full tilt they would blow your eardrums out ...

IMO: You should have 4 things to mimic a pedal steel guitar.
    * A decent compressor (even a Boss or MXR). (great amps will naturally compress in their sweet spot - that is fine as well, maybe even preferred)
    * A volume pedal (a PS player is NEVER without a volume pedal)
    * Technique (hybrid picking)
    * Voicing (steel players do not voice their chords like a guitar player does)

Take one of those out of the equation and something will not be right.

Just my 2 cents...

This is right hand technique... muscle memory. When you hybrid pick (fingers and thumb) each finger is assigned a string - over time you will get each string to attack at the same volume. A compressor will smooth things out a little - but it's the right hand that will produce the tone.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

That was worth a lot more than 2 centsd! Thanks!!!

6. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

That was worth a lot more than 2 cents! Thanks!!!

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Codamedia knows a thing or two about pedal steel. Trust him!

8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've never cared about pedal steel in the least. But reading this incredibly thoughtful thread has gotten me interested. I love that about the TDPRI!

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Man, your post is so right on in so many ways. A tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I'm just a hack lap steel player but to my ear it shares a lot of similarities to pedal steel in the way the approach and tone differs from electric guitar.

Re hybrid picking, the cool thing is that the top strings naturally have the most attack and also thereby perceived initial volume. And just by virtue of using pick on low strings and fingers on higher strings, you've gone a long way to evening things out right off the bat.

10. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I'd say a CS3 would be perfect for what you are talking about. It adds a bit of squish, but whether that is a good or bad thing is down to personal taste. Personally, I have no time for ultra-transparent compressors and the squish makes a world of difference to getting a really authentic sound on steely bends.

11. beexter

beexter Tele-Meister

I've tried a few compressors and the only one that I've bonded with immediately is the Xotic SP. It does exactly what I've been looking for all along - balances string volumes nicely and adds sustain without "pumping". It is fabulous and I find the blend control works really well to fine tune the amount of initial attack that comes through. Can't recommend it highly enough.

12. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

It sounds to me that the volume pedal and picking technique allow the player to create his/her own "manual" compression. Adding a compression circuit might actually complicate things.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think so. When I started playing lap steel, I thought a compressor was essential. And as a beginner it probably was - at least to jump right in and be passable in the band. But as time passed I set it lower and lower (and per Comedia turned my amp up until it compressed and just lowered the volume pot on my lap steel if there was too much breakup) and ultimately ditched it. My foot and my fingers seem to be able to soften the attack and even the stings, and the architecture of a lap steel provides plenty of sustain. On guitar, a cranked amp and good pickups seem to do the same.

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Absolutely - A compressor is not for everyone. For guitar players that are used to them, and like them - it's a no brainer, but I wouldn't suggest adding one just to try and get a pedal steel sound. It's not the answer by itself.

The problem with the volume pedal method (for guitar players) is that you need a lot of volume to make that work properly. If you need to go back to a guitar signal/sound, it would simply be too loud. This is normally why a guitar player might choose to put a compressor/sustainer inline.

15. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like to put my compressor before any OD or boost pedals on my board when I'm using either to jack the signal up. I like the sound of a boosted compressed signal more than that of a compressed boosted signal. It sounds cleaner to me.

There are a lot of nice compressors out there...especially if you're not looking for "studio quality". I've got a block letter MXR from way back and a Humphrey modded CS-3. Both sound great. The MXR is a bit noisier, but it's got a sweet mojo to it, so I keep it on my small board. I love the CS-3. It's got a very nice warmth to it and is quieter than other units I've played.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.