1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compression pedal placement

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by meadwill, Mar 3, 2021.

1. meadwill

meadwill TDPRI Member

I just picked up a Boss CS-3 and I can’t figure out the best placement on my board. So far I have it at the beginning of my chain and I personally think it sounds not so great. My pedal arrangement is as follows: CS-3 > fuzz > klone OD > RAT > reverb > delay > chorus > looper

Is there a better placement for it or keep it at the beginning and rearrange some other pedals. Any good knob settings on the CS-3 for some sparkle?

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Sparkle isn't generally what a compressor brings imo, the cs3 included.

First in chain generally. You get the boss buffer too, so first is good. You can move it to after dirt, some like that, but you'll get noise.

If you must have a compressor and want sparkle, try the Keeley 4 knob. It's around the same price. Has a tone knob even! I like the cs3, but the Keeley is more open and can have that sparkle, IME.

northernguitar and meadwill like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Standard advice is first, or - play around and see what you like. Mine is first but I rarely use two effects at once, and I only use it for a particular kind of clean tone with lots of reverb.
    It looks like you use a lot of dirt, those might already be doing some of the compression for you.
    Edit: Oh yeah, what do you mean by sparkle? That's almost the last word I would use to describe what compression does.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    meadwill and Axegrinder77 like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Try it after the fuzz and before the drive pedals, and chorus usually goes before delay and reverb, with reverb last before the amp. You could also try it after the drive pedals, but before the chorus, delay, and reverb

meadwill and brucerbc like this.
  5. meadwill

meadwill TDPRI Member

maybe that wasn’t the best way to describe it. Maybe more like swell or sing. I noticed it definitely gives it more sustain.

6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

After trying a few different places in the effects chain, I settled on the perfect place for mine.

Reverb.com!

Seriously, though, when I used a comp, I had it after my wah, and before everything else.

7. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

This is an issue of personal taste. Couple of questions to answer...

Is your compressor an 'always on' or are you using it as an effect?

If 'always on' find a place in the chain where it doesn't F-with your drive pedals much. I would consider behind the Fuzz, perhaps the Rat also, (which is a fuzzy box imo) but before your overdrives.

Remember the Boss has a buffer in it, and even bypassed, it can add a lil somethin. Some cats run em real light at the end of the chain for 'always on'.

If you're using it as an effect.... I'd think running it like you are may be the best bet.

Also, single coils guitars are where compressors really shine in many's opinion.

Again, personal taste.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    SbS and meadwill like this.
  8. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Some fuzz pedals HATE having a buffered pedal in front of it.

9. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

And further to that, you lose that sweet volume knob interaction that requires pick up load down.

SbS, meadwill and northernguitar like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

It’s your board. Experiment. I’d say first or after all your dirt but before reverb or delay. So on your chain above try after the Rat. Some like it last. I don’t like to touch the atmospherics like reverb.

meadwill likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Currently loving my new tube compressor, Effectrode clone. I have this first after my pedal tuner.
    upload_2021-3-3_23-7-5.jpeg

meadwill likes this.
  12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Stealing from JHS: Should be first, possibly after your WAH as long as your WAH is quiet.

If you put it later and there's noise in the chain, the compressor will level things out... including making the lower level noise higher. The result is "my compressor is noisy".

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

+1 First after wah. Tradition that worked for me too.

14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Compression will often dull the top end a bit, a blend knob can help. Later in the chain will amplify any noise from the dirt pedals and diminish any volume boost you may have wanted from those dirt pedals. The goal of the compressor is to help your guitar sit more firmly in the mix without significantly altering your tone OR to use it as a spongy kind of effect with more extreme settings.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I have man last, right before the looper. I use it to smooth things out on the drives and get that nice Gilmour compressed-drive sound.
    As others have said, wherever it suits ya. You'll need to play around with it to find what works for you.

16. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I played around and settled on first in line. I have no engineering or scientific basis for saying so, but I feel like it makes the distortion pedals sound better.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Mine is first after the tuner. I don't usually have a fuzz, but if I do it's either a Muff clone or something weird that I redo everything else to accommodate it. Other pedals are typically a Peavey Hotfoot Distortion (Rat clone) and a MXR Sugar Drive (Klone).

bumnote likes this.
  18. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

CS-3 isn't the quietest comp out there, so I don't think I'd put if after dirt. It'll work fine up front if you learn how to set it right.

19. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I have been experimenting, with a
    Boss CP-1X compressor into Barbershop V2, boost, into a Diamond Counterpoint delay, Extra Faux Tape setting, before overdrives.

I am getting a nice enhanced, 3D echo delay tone which is fantastic for going into overdrives, EQD Hoof fuzz and especially good for slide.

After overdrives, Diamond compressor and occasionally, a Boss CS-2 at the end of chain.

20. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nowadays got compressor after dirt and before mod/delay/reverb, to tame the signal. Pretty mild settings though (blend/sustain).

Currently I'm using pedalboard without real amp, so idea to keep the most touch responsive pedals in front. And stack some dirt too to create enough roar and mayhem.

After that it's good to make signal little more civilized / avoid undesirable clipping later in the chain.

I've had it on front too when acquired it, but also laying in the treasure chest for awhile.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.