Compression + Overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by elmicko, Dec 2, 2019.

1. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

Just saw a video of a new pedal that Lucky Dog has coming out that combines compression and overdrive effects in the same pedal. It's going to be expensive so it got me to wondering what other pedals combine these two effects. I'm not much of a pedal guy but I'm going to start playing in a roots rock band and I need a little controllable bite available. I need compression too but I'd much rather get both in the same box if it sounds good.

2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

TrueTone (Visual Sound) makes the Route 66 which is a Comp into a tube screamer.
    There are definitely more but that the one I remember at the moment. lol

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Any sort of distortion IS a form of compression.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Or just buy a compressor and an OD pedal, for less than a lot of the dual effect boutique models. The VS RT66 used is a good deal though.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The VFE Whitehorse compressor has a "drive" pot that allows you to add some grit to you sound. What I really enjoy about this pedal is the ability to add some drive that is absolutely colorless. A great pedal, but not for the compressor novice IMO. I spent a few years with 3 different compressor pedals just to learn all of the attributes of compression. I could not effectively operate my White Horse without that knowledge and ear training.
    IMG_4179.PNG

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I run a comp into a tubescreamer.. sounds awesome. Never felt like I wished it was a combined pedal though. Don't really see the point. Just limits flexibility imo

Greggorios likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Keeley has a couple like that. The Aria, and one of the "workstations" which is three pedals in a tiny housing. The footswitches are too close together on those workstations though. Maybe the Aria is better.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I was going to suggest the Aria...

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Here is a Dist/Comp combo by Bob Burt called the Gr8t Distortion. I'd like to own it because it is a very high quality Rat circuit (LM308N) with all high end spec'd components.

10. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

DOD made one back in the '90s called the Attacker. It was probably one of the first dirt + comp combos outside of multi FX boxes. They sounded okay. I would be looking at the aforementioned Visual Sound Route 66 today as I like their stuff.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

If you like the compression circuit and your like the overdrive circuit and you never want to change either, then it's a great idea. In practicality, just get a compressor you like and an overdrive that you like. Then if you say, I want more of a Klon sound than a TS, you just change one component. Or if you say, want an optical compressor instead of a Dyna/Ross style, you just change that.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'd agree.. stick with a compression pedal and an overdrive so you get your choice of each.

A lot of these are boutique and you're most likely locking yourself into the Ross/MXR Dynacomp type of compressor which IMO is very "meh".

A lot of Overdrives (tube screamer family especially) have quite a bit of their own natural compression as well which makes a pedal with a TS type OD + a compressor in one box kind of weird.

VFE White horse looks like a sweet option as it's an Optical Compressor with some dirt. Having had both Ross/MXR style (Keeley) and Optical I much much prefer the Optical ones. They are much quieter and more natural. Because they're so much quieter they can be used as a boost which can negate some of the need for dirt built into the compressor.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i really like compression after overdrive.

Greggorios and 4pickupguy like this.
  14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

All dirt pedals add compression. A compression pedal that adds dirt is either a dirt pedal or a poorly designed compressor.

15. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone has grit, sustain(comp) and blend controls and can be found used. Plus it's a fairly small pedal, about the size of a Boss, but requires a dedicated power supply (no battery option).

16. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Xotic AC/Comp comes to mind, and I think one of the 47 versions of Fulldrive, too.

But like someone said, then you’re locked into one kind of comp, and one kind of od.

17. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I really appreciate all of the responses so far. I do realize that it would be a much more versatile set up if I went with a stand alone OD and a stand alone compressor but I've never been a pedal guy. I'm also strictly rhythm so I want the compression to smooth out chords and I want to be able to hit the OD button for when I go from a cleaned up country tone to a dirty roadhouse rock and roll tone.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Or it's an Ibanez CP-830. Love that thing.

artdecade likes this.
  19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I had one of those. I didn't keep it long

sirbergersworth likes this.
  20. kurtmanifest1

kurtmanifest1 Tele-Meister

I would buy both instead. MXR Dynacomp is really good, I use it combined with an OCD and a Fulldrive Mosfet 2. Keep in mind it cuts some of the bass frequencies a little, it makes the sound kinda glassy when using little or no OD at all. I love all 3 of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.