1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compression - FYI

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Obsessed, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It took me about two years and three borrowed compressor pedals from my best friend to get a good understanding about applying compression to my sound. Lately in a @fivewattworld video, Keith introduced a colleague of his by the name of Rhett Shull. Anyway, I came across this fantastic video by him explaining compression for us guitarists. I think it is important to understand the various parameters. This video would have saved me oodles of time, so I thought it might help others in this forum thinking about the world of compression. So here it is and I hope it helps:

2. Obsessed

I'm just bumping this for others interested in compression. Yup, this video is that good.

41144 likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Cool. Lots of people don’t understand how to use it beneficially.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I know I don’t.

Interesting and educational vid, though I don’t know if it is likely to make me buy a compressor.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I’m ok with you not buying one.
    My work here is done.

Dan German and Obsessed like this.
  6. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a compressor on a shelf somewhere.Maybe after watching the video I’ll give it another chance

Obsessed likes this.
  7. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

I'd like to get one for that super 80's clean electric sound :D.

8. Obsessed

Yup, I did not post this video to encourage people to buy a compressor pedal. I think it is important to understand not only the sounds we play, but the sounds we hear. It took me a lot of years before I bought a compressor pedal. A lot of pedalboard real estate and lots of bucks for subtle icing on the cake compared to fun effects. Throwing the knowledge into your toolbox is good enough for now.

northernguitar and Killing Floor like this.
  9. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

It's always one for me, but I build at least 5 or 6 knobs one.

Two knobs are just huge no Imo.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, I’m not arguing with the idea of compressors here. Lots of people I love listening to are using one, and the video helped me understand compression better. I had one, and for a while it was a useful part of my pedal board, but since it crapped out, I have tried others, and never got what I wanted. Now, I have a setup that gets me the sound I want without one. Even Rhett points out quite strongly that it’s important to Turn It Off sometimes.

Obsessed likes this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

The problem with compression pedals is that guitars players expect to hear some overt effect. Problem is, usually, if you can hear a compressor doing its thing its probably doing too much of it. Once I can get my amps loud enough, I no longer use a compressor. But, for those gigs that are low volume and keep you in the “pinky zone”, they are great.

USian Pie and Obsessed like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Well explained, but I think that acoustic strumming with a light pick was non-optimal for audio examples, as was the boomy mic position near the soundhole. I think viewers would have been able to hear the differences better with something brighter and more percussive.

A snare drum track might have shown what he was talking about more clearly...especially with regard to attack and release time settings.

Obsessed, bgmacaw and That Cal Webway like this.
  13. Obsessed

Yup, I always say less than three knobs compressor pedal for an effect, four knobs or more for subtle icing on the cake.

14. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Treshold ratio attack release and level are must have on a compressor.

You then Can really fine Tune between a limiter so it's an full effect, or laid back to avoid post production compression.

But it's a must.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Whenever I want to learn how to adjust an effect, I google tutorials on the effect and/or the pedal. I highly recommend it vs learning the hard way and reinventing the wheel. Take advantage of the internet age. Life is short, don't make it worse.

Obsessed and Wyzsard like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

As I've said before, I used a compressor for a few years. I loved the sound standing in front of my amp. Then I got a guitar wireless rig. I went out in the crowd back by the pool table at a gig. It was a place we played a lot. I couldn't believe how bad it sounded! yuck. Mushy soft pick attack.
    Strangely it sounded nothing like that right in front of the amp. Sold the compressor the next week and haven't had one for years.
    I need to listen to that video I guess. But I'm warning; find out what your sound is to everyone else but you!

A couple things have come to mind since though:
    -I'm 80%+ a neck pickup player. Neck pups can be indistinct playing lead on certain songs or sounds. Maybe that contributed to the problem because when I think of Brad Paisley etc, he uses a compressor I think, but he uses that Tele bridge pickup set to be warmish and punchy. The bridge pup is always more of a finite sound.
    -The other thought is that maybe the amount of compression I liked to use standing in front of the amp where you can hear everything was too much? It was an MXR Dyna Comp set about 12-1 oclock.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

I watched the vid, yah he changes a knob but doesn’t say what to listen for and i couldn't hear enough difference to bother listening to the whole vid.

smoothrecluse and northernguitar like this.
  18. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

At least for guitar, trying to hear differences in compression on youtube video seems like it could be frustrating unless you are way exaggerating settings.

It's a "feel" thing -- like the tube amp transformer sag everybody says they miss in solid state amps. That is actually a form of compression itself.

Depending on where and how the compressor is set up, there can be an audible quality in how it affects the amp. The harsh spikes get tamed. Whether it is noticeable or sounds better/worse may depend on the amp and how it reacts to spikes.

For clean Telecaster players, it can take the harshness out of treble string snaps. It also makes a clean guitar more sensitive to do harmonics and other tricks that normally need distortion.

19. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for the video. I like watching the stuff Rett Shull does. I don't use a compressor on my guitar but I have actually been working on my pedal order for my bass guitar. I currently have my comp in front of my signal chain. But when I get the chance I want to reorder stuff to octave > EF > fuzz > comp.
    What I really need to do is take my next day off and get all the pedals off my boards and just have a huge "mix and match" day :p

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I thought I found a comp pedal that would end the hunt with the Barber Tone Press. I loved it but when I sold off my guitar gear to fund a bass rig I replaced it with the Keeley Bassist. I was quite happy with the Keeley. Super easy to dial in and transparent as well.

Now I'm rebuilding a guitar rig and I tried the Bassist a few nights ago. Cyrus at Ovnilab reported it's the same as the guitar version GC2, save for 1 cap to jibe with the lows on a bass so I gave it a spin. It's wonderful.

Best demo I've come across is Pete Thorn's. Kinda busts the " compressor is a crutch for poor technique " cliche (which I bought into for years). Pete certainly doesn't have poor technique.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.