Component selection advice, pickups, covers & bridge

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mxaniac, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

I've never owned a tele before so I'm putting an 80's Japanese neck (all black with a rosewood fret board) on a new ash body with a flamed maple top. I'd like some advice on bridge type, pickups, and whether or not to cover the neck pup. I'm planning on hard mounting the neck pup and mounting the bridge pup in a metal bridge of some unknown material of unknown thickness because if I don't then it won't be a tele now will it. No Humbuckers, I have other instruments for that sound.

Some things to consider:
    1) I'm a crappy beginner. Been one for a very long time :)
    2) I hate country, I hate twang. It irritates me for some reason.
    3) I mostly like light distortion through a small tube amp.
    4) I have a couple of strats, I don't need another.
    5) I'm certainly under a budget.

Most people at this point are probably thinking why in the heck would this guy need a tele if he doesn't like twang and what the heck is wrong with country music. Well Richards, Petty, Page, and a lot of other guys got some great sounds with a tele and it twern't no twang. As for country it's not like I made a conscientious decision to not like it, but I sure as heck don't.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

hellopike likes this.
  2. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

Find a broadcaster bridge pickup. They are a lower out put and more warmer. Sd make a copy of it can't recall the model and a Gibson humbucker in the neck. I personally like a three saddle bridge . But an 6 saddle is better for intonation. [​IMG]like this

awasson likes this.
  3. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

I have an old Gibson mini-humbucker from 1974+ that might be interesting in the neck position.

What bridge with the broadcaster? If I understand correctly the thicker "modern" bridge gives a slightly less twangy tone. Brass or 301 stainless sounds like the best material choices. How about the pup baseplate? Steel makes more twang, brass or aluminum for more bass?

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

Just the pickup I guess I was thinking quaurter pounder

5. FirTrader

FirTrader Tele-Meister

To me, the "twang" is just a single coil at the bridge. If you finger-pick a lot of 7th chords, you'll sound like a Bluegrasser and it won't be the bridge.

Seems to me that Gibson mini you have is perfect for the neck for a bunch of reasons, tone not the least of which. If you can find out the mechanical details (impedance/inductance) you could look for a reasonably well-matched single coil for the bridge, just so one isn't way louder than the other.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

A black Tele neck?

7. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

Yep, this one isn't mine but same thing.

Black.jpg

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Contact Rob@Cavalier Pickups. He could wind you a "Broadcaster/early 50's lap steel" style pickup.

That's the style of Keith's Micawber. A little thicker sound.

Plus if you like the smaller tube amps like a Champ or along those lines. You'll get that Joe Walsh "Funk 49" sound.

Like Joe says "A Tele plugged straight into a Champ is the sound, it's so simple".

Keep the mini-bucker. It might like a 500k volume pot. But, you can resistor the bridge pickup to see 250k.

Keep us updated.

9. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

I know Page liked his Supra. When Page, Nielson, Joe Walsh and a host of other people tell ya something it only makes sense to listen :)

I have a little Gibson Kalamazoo Model 1 and I just love some of the sounds that it makes despite my best efforts to butcher them.

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Keep on butchern' it:twisted:

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

You are a good candidate for ashtray cover then. I personally could never give up the dynamics of being able to dig in tight to the saddles.

I often wonder how long it takes a player once weaned off Humbuckers getting over to the 'not as dark' side to appreciate Single Coils and twang. ;) I'd speculate Hot SCs come first, and then followed by not so hot.

I fit this archetype of Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbucker beginnings. In fact had a 67 Tele in the 70s and just couldn't do a thing with it. Went back to the Paul then.

Today, my fav pickups are mostly cleaner 6k-ish anymore. You are not stuck with twang just because you 'can' live there. Gain works OK with Teles... ask anybody. ;) Start with Page and Beck. ;)

It is much harder to un-Hot 14k PUs than to dirty up 6-7k PUs. :cool:

12. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

I grabbed a set of EMGs for 50 bucks off Craigslist so I'll give them a shot. I'll also go with a simple 6 position to loader bridge.

silvertonebetty likes this.
  13. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

Well it's together. Apparently I'm no nut expert because it took me 3 tries to get the height correct. EMGs remind me of the JB/Jazz coupling in that the neck is a nice sweet tone for cleans while the bridge is all about cutting through with distortion without getting too muddy.

tele.jpg

awasson likes this.
  14. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

T-Set? What POTS did you use?

15. mxaniac

mxaniac TDPRI Member

I bought a low cost Amazon assembly then swapped the volume pot out for a 25k unit from Mouser 858-P160KN-0QC15B25K.

16. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

the rosewood board takes some twang away. that's why i chose rosewwod

17. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

I've got a new Vintage brand V62 AB with rosewood fretboard. It aint too twangy. Wilkinson PUs. The neck pickup is fine uncovered - sweet strat sound. The bridge is hotter and needs treble reduction. Is a cover for the bridge PU a logical solution? If so, what material? People will probably say "use the tone knob, or EQ it, or buy better pots" I guess. I'm a newbie to the Tele's treble problems. V62AB.png

18. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’d adjust the bridge pickup height if it’s too active. That should an easy place to start. Otherwise you will need to figure out the best volume and tone positions to get the most out of it. Otherwise, you’ll want to look at a better bridge match for your neck pickup.

I went down the Telecaster tone chasing rabbit hole a few years ago. After countless pickup brands and combinations, I ended up with a set of Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups, a 4-way selector and a TBX tone Expander. I play rock mostly and country never so mine is probably unconventional for some but it works perfectly for me.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One cannot play guitar, even metal guitar, without obeying the laws of TWANG . Meaning, it’s all plucked strings, so it comes down to how you pluck it :)

But seriously, overwound single coils are probably what you want, things that attenuate highs. Fretboard/neck/body wood doesn’t matter, and avoid aluminum saddles. This is my hardest hitting guitar ignoring the ones with Filtertrons. But these pickups are pricey, but there are good clones out there that are very reasonable.

39611354-1408-42CA-9DD0-3650F734DF40.jpeg

20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

EMGs sound like the ticket. Thicker bridge plate possibly to.
    The twang comes from the thin stamped steel to some degree.
    Avoid steel saddles.
    All that advice is contrary to what I would want, but, your criteriea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.