1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Complex rigs that bring is joy

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mexicanyella, May 31, 2019.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

There’s a fun and busy simple rigs thread afoot right now, so why not a parallel one for those of us who’ve dreamt up ways to slave amps, run parallel wet/dry signal paths, trigger MIDI patches alongside cranked Plexis or tweeds... whatever!

Bonus points for explaining the thinking that led to trying whichever signal path or hardware assortment.

24 track likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have always thought that blending processed signals and layering them would give more control over daisy chaining these signals , so I devised a way to take my studio rig and process the signal and monitor every thing individually heres my studio rig as it sits today

P1012144.JPG

for live amp micing I have 11 amps both tube and SS

P1011487.JPG

if I wish to record at night I can feed the signal out of the studio to the garage where I have an ISO box loaded with a 100watt Jensen and mic'd with a senheisser E609 on axis and a beyer dynamic off axis

P1011343.JPG P1011346.JPG P1011350.JPG

all of my guitar signals can be can be brought up to the console where I am running 5 G5 mac towers all decked out to the max with ram and hard drives , running 2 mirrored systems of Logic and a 3rd system for mastering , this also includes all the midi runs from my studio rack rack

IMG_0020.JPG

I also designed a virtual guitar rack to work within logic as well with a ton of guitar plug ins and virtual instruments

IMG_0335.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    RodeoTex, mrmousey and bftfender like this.
  4. 24 track

I also use a yamaha AW4416 for recording upto 24 live tacks that I can mix and master on its own or bring back to the studio and download into logic for further tracks or processing I have several hard drives to use with unit as well as several different cards for in/out assigning

yamaha-aw4416-982.jpg

this is no where near all of the function of my studio for midi controlers here is a small portion of them

P1011811.JPG

teletimetx and mrmousey like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Haaaaaa, @24 track is the first person I thought of when I read this thread title. Simply amazing.

24 track likes this.
  6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Or insane...do you also have a dedicated electrical service panel?

24 track and Fuelish like this.
  7. 24 track

I ran 2 X20 amp dedicated services to the studio all on separate breakers totally isolated from all household functions , clean power is imperative!

but in all fairness I may rewire all with Iso gound outlets ( orange dedicated ground outlets) where the studio will be on it own ground ,not shared by the rest of the house I just need to buy the wire to do so.

8. 24 track

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Obsessed likes this.
  9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I really enjoy the Edge of U2. He's amazing in crafting all those weird sounds with his control centre of effects and filling out the sound on stage, with just bass and drums to accompany him.

24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

it may sound wierd but i always start with a guitar straight into an amp with nothing on it so I can hear the guitar by itself and it builds from there

11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Several years ago, coming out of a creative slump and guitar hiatus, I sold my two Valco combos and the Univox head in my avatar photo.

Suddenly tube amp-less, I started playing around with what I had left: a little Line 6 Lowdown 110 bass combo and a Fender Acoustasonic Jr., and a couple of pedals.

A series of experiments led to a weird dual-amp rig: I discovered that the little Line 6 bass amp did a pretty cool clean tone with guitar if I selected the clean SWR-inspired model, rolled off a bunch of lows and low mids, pushed the upper mids and highs a little, turned up the internal compressor and cranked the master. Kerrang! Not super loud, but a pretty decent cutting dry tone to play rhythm with.

The Acoustasonic Jr. had a bright piezo tweeter between its two 8” drivers and I pulled it out and unplugged it. The hole it left turned the sealed cabinet into a randomly ported one and made the amp sound much less like playing through a
    PA and more like a solid-state Princeton Chorus. Which is to say, Fendery clean sound with pretty nice onboard spring reverb and analog stereo chorus. Hmmm. I’m not a chorus guy but as chorus sounds go...

I missed having compression in the Fender sound and playing response. Cranking the amp’s “String Dynamics” control put a little compressed feel in the highs, which helped. Sweeping the feedback notch control around until its notch was least obtrusive helped. But I ended up using my Rat 2 with the gain barely on and the output cranked, filter knob set to bright, into a gently-compressing DOD compressor pedal, to drive the Acoustasonic.

This counterintuitive arrangement had the effect of applying a barely dirty gain boost and low cut with some upper mids emphasis to the amp, and the compressor after the Rat gave a suggestion of cranking a small tube amp to the point of saggy dynamic response. But without the splatty breakup.

So of course I had to combine the two sounds. It was that or apply
    myself to expanding my playing ability—Egads!

I split my signal with a DOD stereo chorus. The amp chorus was a nicer chorus sound, so I set the DOD’s rate pretty fast and its depth pretty shallow to suggest a subtle Leslie effect...kind of like Led Zep on “No Quarter.”

That was my budget basement wet/dry/wet rig, with switchable reverb, stereo chorus and faux Leslie. It was pretty fun for a little while, but it was a pain in the ass to dial in. I moved all that stuff on and eventually got a Peavey Special 150 when I realized what I liked best was the loud, clean, lightly compressed part...and less knob interrelationships to manage.

So nowadays it’s usually guitar>compressor>Special 150 clean
    channel for me.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been bouncing an idea through my head of having a central processing center with my MFX pedal, but using ABY boxes on either side of it to run both electric and acoustic guitars into it and run the signal out to my electric and/or acoustic amps so I could switch guitars without having to unplug cables during a performance, and so I could mess with stereo effects like leslie-type stuff and funky ping-ponging delays, etc., but with the limited amount of time I spend on guitar these days, I sorta doubt I'll ever make it real.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.