Completion Update: SemiHollow w/P90s and oddball wiring

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by alathIN, Jan 26, 2020.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I've posted for advice on this project a couple of times now. It's finally done so I thought I'd post an update with outcomes.

Johnny A.jpg

1. No particular credit to me - but I think P 90s are under-rated for cleans. Everyone knows about the growly high gain thing, but the cleans are really nice too.

2. This is the first time I have noticed a difference in feedback with a semihollow guitar. It's noticeable but manageable. If I played stadium rock on 108 dB stages it might be a problem but the way I play it's just kind of a cool thing to be able to do.

3. I really like the master treble - master bass tone knob combo. I am surprised it isn't more widely used. Being able to "thin out" the bass sounds unappealing - but it's just the thing when a high gain sound is getting too thick and muddy. I have seen this same tone control on amps labelled as a "tight" switch which I guess sounds better than "bass cut."

4. If the push-pull knobs all pushed in, everything behaves as expected: neck volume, bridge volume, master bass, master treble. Series out of phase is useful and I particularly like this setup because you can use the neck pickup volume knob to "dial in" how much of the out of phase neck sound you want. Heavy, and it's kind of that cocked wah thing. Dialing in less of the OOP, it can sound a little bit like position 2 or 4 on a strat. Kind of like observation 3 above, it is helpful if you are getting a high gain sound that you basically like but just want to dial out excessive thickness.

5. Speaking of too thick, the only combination I've found that really isn't useful is "series in phase." It is just too much, too thick, too muddy.
    When I posted about this before, someone predicted this would be the case - yes, you were right. Still the series switch is what makes the out of phase option work so I don't regret having it.

6. On most guitars I almost always play with both bridge and neck pickups on. This one, I like the bridge, bridge+neck, and neck only positions equally well. It is definitely the most versatile guitar I have put together

2 P90s push-pull wiring FINAL.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice! :) A video perhaps? :twisted:

alathIN and Zepfan like this.
  3. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I've been fooling around with various ways of recording videos.
    I can record sound with Studio One.
    But I only have phones and iPads for video and their native sound is kind of crappy. Trying to synch a sound file with a video seems like a hassle.
    Surely there must be some software to make this easy?

Arch Stanton and crazydave911 like this.
  4. nnieman

nnieman Tele-Meister

Looks great!

Id love to see more pics of it.

I love the cats eye f holes.

Nathan

alathIN likes this.
  5. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try it in iMovie. Record yourself and video at the same time and give yourself loud, wavelength visual ques when ya start so you can try to line up the audio with the vid.? Idk I wanna try too lol

guitar looks great!

6. zat48

zat48 TDPRI Member

Looks great, reminds me of Johnny A's model.

7. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

sweet!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.