Completely removing reverb tank from Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tm1303, Aug 31, 2016.

1. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much a stock BJ reverb tank weighs?

If I completely removed the reverb tank from my blues junior, would anything go bang?

Would i need to bridge the reverb tank send/return leads or could I just pull it all out and tape the reverb control to zero?

The reverb tank in my BJ (like many others, i understand) is a box of hiss. I use an external reverb pedal so I'm wondering about pulling it out to save some weight but don't really know how much the things actually weigh.

Thanks,
    T.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

They weigh next to nothing, but why don't you replace the tank? They're dirt cheap.

radiomanjh likes this.
  3. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

^this exactly^

4. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

I was thinking about replacing, but having grown so accustom to having it zero'd at all times I started to wonder about ripping it out to give my bad back a bit of a rest. I don't really know what is in the tank, it looks like a bit metal brick so thought it might have some weight to it.

I've been thinking about picking up a neodymium speaker (maybe a Jensen Jet) to bring down the weight and the unused reverb tank seemed like a candidate for further weight reduction. (I've also got a super light SGJ to give myself a break from the weight of the Tele)

If the weight of the tank is trivial though I'll probably replace it.

Thanks for your input :)

5. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Yeah it weighs next to nothing, but if it's really bothering you just disconnect it.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I doubt that any tank tops 2 pounds, although I never guessed anyone's weight at Coney Island.

It's not going to be any significant weight savings, and you might LOVE the new tank:

You do realize that with a new tank, you now have your choice of slower through faster decays? And in case you didn't know, we're talking like 30 bucks.

7. Mart the Hat

Mart the Hat Tele-Meister

I've got a full length tank on the shelf next to me, so out of curiousity I've just weighed it on the kitchen balance. A full length Accutronics tank is about 700g or 1.5lbs, and the short tank in the Junior will be less than that. Are you going to even notice that small a change in weight?

8. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

Yep, a weight change so small is unlikely to make a massive difference. Looks like a replacement it is!

9. vegie1

vegie1 Tele-Meister

The tank is a cheap things metal box with two long springs in it, doesn't weigh much. If you think jnr is heavy try carrying a twin. Lol

10. tm1303

tm1303 TDPRI Member

No, no, I really do appreciate the BJ is already at the lighter end of the combo spectrum and I'm grateful for it :)

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This why I'm so aggravated at paying $119 for the Danoelectric Spring King pedal.

But damn, do I love those springs.

12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just weighed the Accutronics 8EB2C1B I took out of my Super 210 when I installed a long Mod 9EB2C1B tank, and it's weighs 10 oz. I think the 8EB2C1B is standard for a BJ as well?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.