Completely Happy with your Dirt Pedals?

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
6B541CA0-DFF1-43C2-BF96-BE0BAF531F73.jpeg
For the first time I feel like I’ve got the perfect selection of dirt for my Deville 2x12! Spark and TS are there just to eq different guitars , and give the others a bit of a push if needed. Is it possible that I don’t need to buy any more drive pedals??? Or am I dreaming ? Anyone have no desire to change there selection of dirt pedals, and are completely happy ?

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Overdrive pedals and metal distortions, sure.

Fuzzes, never. I can't get one to sound good through more than one amp or cab. I quit buying them as well, and started building them, without much success so far, but I've only finished one.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
How are you running the Gunslinger? I’ve heard some folks have trouble getting the sounds they want out of it but others love it.
I believe I read somewhere it runs best at a different voltage that what most folks try but can’t remember exactly

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
How are you running the Gunslinger? I’ve heard some folks have trouble getting the sounds they want out of it but others love it.
I believe I read somewhere it runs best at a different voltage that what most folks try but can’t remember exactly
The Gunslinger is my latest pedal, haven’t had the chance to try it at band volumes. But i thinks it is fantastic. The EQ is super powerful and seems like it could be dialled in to any amp. Everything at noon with a strat is very rock !

StuartJames

Tele-Meister
I think I read somewhere that DOD has suggested that running it at 12v is perhaps not a good idea, even though that’s how it was advertised. I’m running it at 9v

srblue5

Tele-Holic
For years, I wasn't totally happy with my dirt pedals -- kept switching things around and looking for something better. Everything sounded too fizzy and uninspiring with my PRRI at (keyword) apartment/condo-friendly volumes. All of them sounded better with my Peavey Bandit and ZT Lunchbox even at whisper(ish) volumes.

I came to realize that I was relying too much on the dirt pedals when it came to the PRRI, which was resulting in a thin, fizzy sound at home. Now I crank the amp more (albeit with a Dr. Z Airbrake to attenuate it and not get myself evicted) and use the dirt pedals to just push it over the edge (as Nigel Tufnel might say). Works so much better for me now.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
Never say never :) But my all time favorite pedals remain the same for nearly 20 years (Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor) and 5 years (Barber Burn Unit, 1/2 Gainer, LTD, Direct Drive). Since the Barbers I only sold drive pedals but started to buy more amps, as these pedals all seem to work just beautiful with any circuit I throw at them.

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
I too am completely happy and have no desire to buy any more overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedals. I keep looking, but nothing I consider would seem to offer any improvement over what I have.

I think I will stop looking now on the basis that if I'm completely happy with my sound, what purpose does it serve to find another pedal?!

IMG_20211223_085220_edit_1883211161328267.jpg

I use the Revivaldrive probably 95% of the time for gigs, rehearsals and recordings. The Sir Compre is used as a solo boost. The Hamstead Odyssey can sound very close to the Revivaldrive, but can also sound very different for a more grainy and even fuzzy type sound. The pedal in the top left is a home made Rangemaster treble boost circuit to boost the Revivaldrive, for that '70s Mick Ronson type tone as I was playing a lot of Bowie.

I've tried having wildly different dirt pedals like fuzz etc, but it messes with the mix of the instruments in a gig situation too much e.g. going from a pedal with plenty of mids like the Revivaldrive, to going to a Big Muff with its scooped mids wouldn't work at all as the guitar gets lost.

Last edited:

mambosun

TDPRI Member
Yes, perfectly happy: Barber Gain Changer SR/ Lovepedal Purple Plexi+boost/ Arcane Analog Buzzsaw / RetroMechanical Labs Fuzz 432K V2.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Mostly, but would like to try one of the two-staged stacked pedals like the Protein. BD2 and Bad Monkey do their thing either together or individually, and I've learned how to get the most out of the tc electronics Tube Pilot for tubey Stones/Black Crowes breakup without going to mush (set drive low in fine 1/32 increments, volume high, tame the treble with guitar tone knob). It's good for pushing the Boss Bassman pedal, which I use more for eq/second amp voicing rather than dirt. I don't have a Bluesbreaker-type pedal; BD2 is kind of its own thing, and I use that more as a fat boost or for a kind of Valco-like sound.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Is anyone ever truly completely happy with their lineup? I’m very happy with mine. But there’s always that “one more”

plain grey is a clean boost. Going into the JHS @+ (boost is a ts9 style (just adjust the level) and then a drive that you can set various settings.) then a MXR Prime Distortion that can easily cover Marshall style drive.

No complaints. Can get everything I play regularly.
C94B74B2-3197-46F6-83D5-6327E2B05198.jpeg

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, Tube Screamer*, Dunlop JH2S Fuzz*, Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O, MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive…

…but I want to add an octave pedal at some point.

*currently on Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Bliss