OK, Tonite's basement action included finishing the aluminum string ferrules and routing a neck pickup in the pickguard. I had to re-rout for the strat pup in the body too. I like the white on red. We're looking at 20 dollars in pups and about 10 in switches as out of pocket costs.
I superglued the nut blank to a piece of thicknessed pine and ran it against a fence clamped to the table until 1/8". I never really tried this before. It worked! The gel superglue was still tacky too.
Here it is with a homemade aluminum neck plate. Now the nut making begins.
All sanded and ready for a natural finish.
An oil finish would be nice to the touch. In keeping with the cheap,easy to apply, and green theme. I'll see what I have in the house. I decided to keep the knotty pine look in the peghead. I made a couple of maple knobs too. I decided to do the little radius on the transition to the lap to mirror the little radius on the tele neck cavity.
I'm thinking I should have called this a Telelapster.
I had a pt. of water poly, regular poly, a couple rattle cans of lacquer, and some Watco. I went with the Watco. Now if it doesn't go up in flames, we can do another coat later or tomorrow. ( Watco rags can sometimes light themselves up, you have to put them in water).
I calculated that I could afford a cheap import bridge to help the cause. I found some red ribbon to wrap the lead coil with. Everything else buttoned up. I just need to solder the electronics in. Zach,(aka goatboy), one of our greyhounds managed to chew the peghead a bit, so now it has its first dings. Oh well, there's more to come. I finished the neck in Watco danish oil as well. Cheezy tuners, but well worth the price as they were take offs in the parts dept. I decided to use these knobs instead of the wooden or plastic ones I made. These have a lower profile which will facilitate the lap playing I believe.
The snakehead neck is one piece with no rod. It is quartersawn maple strung with 9's. The lap neck is strung with 12's.
That's a strat pickup superglued to an aluminum mounting plate that I made. I have a ton of strat pups, but no tele lead pups except a Fender which would have put me over the 100 dollar limit. My rough estimate is about 90 dollars right now. I will itemize the parts tomorrow after the soldering session.