COMPLETED -- "Tidycatster", the $100 telecaster challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
OK, Tonite's basement action included finishing the aluminum string ferrules and routing a neck pickup in the pickguard. I had to re-rout for the strat pup in the body too. I like the white on red. We're looking at 20 dollars in pups and about 10 in switches as out of pocket costs.

neckpup001.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Bleached dogbone from PetSmart cut into pieces.
nut001.jpg

Sawing a piece in half.
nut002.jpg

I superglued the nut blank to a piece of thicknessed pine and ran it against a fence clamped to the table until 1/8". I never really tried this before. It worked! The gel superglue was still tacky too.
nut003.jpg

nut004.jpg

Here it is with a homemade aluminum neck plate. Now the nut making begins.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
All sanded and ready for a natural finish.
An oil finish would be nice to the touch. In keeping with the cheap,easy to apply, and green theme. I'll see what I have in the house. I decided to keep the knotty pine look in the peghead. I made a couple of maple knobs too. I decided to do the little radius on the transition to the lap to mirror the little radius on the tele neck cavity.

I'm thinking I should have called this a Telelapster.

I had a pt. of water poly, regular poly, a couple rattle cans of lacquer, and some Watco. I went with the Watco. Now if it doesn't go up in flames, we can do another coat later or tomorrow. ( Watco rags can sometimes light themselves up, you have to put them in water).
Front View

telelapster001.jpg

Back view
telelapster002.jpg

Last edited:

Engraver-60

Friend of Leo's
Looks great, and should be killer to play. Thanks for the originality. Keep us posted for sure, and put up a soundclip. And get back to shoveling that snow!!

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Thanks everybody. Snow? I heard we broke the record for rain yesterday. Had over an inch. It's been in th 50's here for a couple of weeks.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I calculated that I could afford a cheap import bridge to help the cause. I found some red ribbon to wrap the lead coil with. Everything else buttoned up. I just need to solder the electronics in. Zach,(aka goatboy), one of our greyhounds managed to chew the peghead a bit, so now it has its first dings. Oh well, there's more to come. I finished the neck in Watco danish oil as well. Cheezy tuners, but well worth the price as they were take offs in the parts dept. I decided to use these knobs instead of the wooden or plastic ones I made. These have a lower profile which will facilitate the lap playing I believe.
theend001.jpg

The snakehead neck is one piece with no rod. It is quartersawn maple strung with 9's. The lap neck is strung with 12's.
theend002.jpg

That's a strat pickup superglued to an aluminum mounting plate that I made. I have a ton of strat pups, but no tele lead pups except a Fender which would have put me over the 100 dollar limit. My rough estimate is about 90 dollars right now. I will itemize the parts tomorrow after the soldering session.
theend003.jpg

martino

Tele-Holic
Wow this is so over the top nothing out there like this !:eek:
How does it sound:?:

Will this become a PineMart Custom Shop model :p

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I really had some fun with this, although I am experiencing some burn out after a long week at the day job. It's not wired yet, but the strings sustain for a loonnnnng time when strummed.

IrishMail

Tele-Meister
I love the dual neck. My first lap steel was a Gretsch Electromatic, in gold/tan MOTS. It was a screamer. I've also done a little dobro and pedal steel work, so I am an admirer.

That knob looks SO much like the one I put on the push-pull volume for my "Spa-Caster". Is it the same?

Spa-Casterknobdetail.jpg

You're in the home stretch - you can do it!!

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
These are about 5/8 Dia and about 1/2 high I'd say. I found them while rummaging through the parts for some tuner mounting screws and all the other good junk. I think RatShack might sell these too.

Status
Not open for further replies.