COMPLETED -- "Tidycatster", the $100 telecaster challenge

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by guitarbuilder, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

The bridge.... I thought I'd try my hand at making a bridge plate from thin aluminum plate. I cut a few squares 3.75 x 3.75 and used a scratch awl and try square to layout some lines. I had these options for cutting out the corners and such. Hack saw, band saw, and notcher. I opted to use a hand held sheet metal notcher to notch out the corners and remove some hunks of metal in strategic places. I drilled some holes for the saddle screws and two holes to ease the corners in bending. More tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

2. boozer

boozer Tele-Meister

this is awesome for three reasons.
    1. its pine
    2. i love cats
    3. do i really need to say it?

okay fine.
    its a tele and a lap steel!

3. guitarbuilder

BEEP BEEP BEEP....Low tech operation ahead.....BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Now the trick will be to get it to bend where I want it to!

[​IMG]

I stuck it in my little HF machinist vise. I hand bent it and then crisped up the corners and angles with a plastic hammer. The floor made a good anvil to absorb the blows.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. guitarbuilder

and you had your doubts....right? OK.... Yes, I admit it, that one hole is a hair (but only a cat hair) off.
    [​IMG]

5. guitarbuilder

I'm thinking new saddles here, but you get the idea of where this is headed.

WOW, that was worth saving 7 dollars instead of using a commercial Fender bridge...yeah right.

Oh, the pickup slot? What pickup slot? We don't need no stinkin pickup slot. It's a stealth pickup...yeah... that's it.
    We do need a little brushing of the aluminum and final tidying up...( tidy cat....Ha...)
    [​IMG]

6. guitarbuilder

Audience participation time...... Would the 2 or 3 of you clicking on my thread this week please enter your answer........

What is a 3.75 x 3.75 square of aluminum worth? It's been around since at least 1982. Let the bidding begin.

These 5 slides were brought to you by Starbuck's Italian Roast of which I enjoyed 2 cups prior to the drill press drilling, and hand bending, and hand filing.

* Hand- no power tools involved. It was so easy a caveman could do it..... (Judges, remember this when you are adding up the points please.)

Now I am off to study and practice a Monet painting for my final panorama of colour for the final finish coats. I will be attempting to do this with a Boeing 737 aircraft engine blowing the paint onto the guitar body.

Random thought #6.....Common ScatterLee...I'm running out of material here. Save some water for the fish, eh?

7. guitarbuilder

I found a mistake in my saddle adjustment screw holes....Darn... My two outer holes are off and need to be brought closer together. The pressure must be getting to me. Too bad I already drilled them in the other plates I made. It'll work but......[​IMG]

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I paid $2.61 for my piece of 4 inch channel aluminum.

9. guitarbuilder

Well today I glued in the black lap steel dot markers. I also made myself an electrosocket and a couple of strap buttons with the aluminum scraps I saved and some hex rod. Pictures forthcoming as the wife is out with the camera.
    [​IMG]
    My electrosocket doesn't have internal threads, it needs a nut and lockwasher on it. I was going to just do a red jack plate but had time this morning. It was fun just winging it on the metal lathe. I'm no machinist as you can tell. I'm gonna spring for some switches at Radio Shack with the money saved.

10. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Tele-Holic

OMG, that bridge looks horrible and uncomfortable. LOL and oddly appropriate. The saddles don't even line up with the neck. Is this a 2 string guitar? :D

11. guitarbuilder

OMG, that bridge looks horrible and uncomfortable. LOL and oddly appropriate. The saddles don't even line up with the neck. Is this a 2 string guitar?

I believe I said the saddles need some work....LOL. No... it is a 3 string guitar and yes... the saddles are quite uncomfortable at the moment, however the cost is extremely low....LOL.

12. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Tele-Holic

Ha ha...I'd still vote for yours...so far the most original

13. guitarbuilder

This is a set of aluminum ferrules I am in the middle of making. I still have to drill the string holes and chamfer the ends. The homemade electro- socket fits, and is in place next to the aluminum strap button I made. The strap button is held on with a black drywall screw temporarily.
    [​IMG]

14. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

Scrap metal is not bringing much $$$$ right now !!!!! Soooooo, not much !!

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I dig it marty.... maybe piezo for the pickup? that would cool!

I'd say the aluminum should be charged at about 2.15... just a guess but based on many many trips to my local hardware stores.

16. guitarbuilder

I glued the knobs together ( toothpaste caps and tidy cats handle sections) and drilled and inserted 3 soft touch on-off switches. I liked the red buttons and they are clinching the deal for a switch set up. one for the lap on, one for the bridge pup, and one for a future neck pup. This was my first purchase so far 3 switches at 2.69 each.
    I'm thinking putting some plastic tops in the caps for added colour.
    [​IMG]

17. mechaman327

mechaman327 Tele-Meister

Nice. There is alot of talent 'round here.

18. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

I like them buttons. :)

19. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh man................. it's getting to the point where you're not a real guitar builder if you don't make your own bridge.

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...and what's with all the double guitars, like two in one?
    shouldn't that wait for the $200 Tele challenge in summer? :lol:

great stuff I'm seeing here - you rock!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.