COMPLETED -- "Tidycatster", the $100 telecaster challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I knew this stuff would be good for something some day. Left over aluminum angle from one of my cnc builds. Might have to clean them up a little.
alum001.jpg

SimpleOne

Friend of Leo's
"A bucketful of pine and maple gets us started in the challenge. Hopefully I've met the initial requirements. No cats will be harmed in the making of this guitar. More to follow I hope. I'll try and get a litter done this week."

You're killing us already! Super sweet use of tools. Subscribed, competition beware!

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You're killing us already! Super sweet use of tools. Subscribed, competition beware!

Thanks for looking everybody... I may have to DQ myself somehow in order to keep it. Maybe I'll buy an original Gibson '59PAF for it. That'll take me out of the running.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I took a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod I had from the ol' cnc project and drilled a couple of holes for mounting screws. I wanted the abiltity to raise and lower it with some washers underneath if necessary. I cleaned up the ends on the lathe. I opted for this rod over the aluminum angle because it has a smaller profile and leaves more space to rest your hand on the wood for picking. I put a little chamfer on the ends to remove the sharp edge.
The center line of the saddle is at the scale length of twice the distance from the nut leading edge to the center of the 12th fret marker.
saddle002.jpg

saddle001.jpg

saddle003.jpg

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Now onto the lap pickup rout. I have a bunch of new and used single coils but I'm out of tele pups. I have a couple of import styles that are cheap and new and may go with those.

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The neck. If time gets scarce I will use the neck that I made for another project guitar. It is a snakehead, quartersawn maple neck. The dots are made from pickguard material and it has no rod installed. See below.

Last edited:

fauxhican

TDPRI Member
Thus far I've had 2 "oh crap!" moments during this contest. The first was scatterlee starting work on his own bridge, the picture above was the second. kudos dude, that's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.