COMPLETED, The Scattesquire

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewwagon

Poster Extraordinaire
scatter your a (mad) scientist -artist of the highest order
super work & thanks for sharing your talent with us all this buds for you !!!

you ever skate that pool?

we call those "marsh hawks" on the delta

brewws

tommy chong builds bongs lol

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
I think the alteration to the lower horn is not only a smart move, but asthetically will add to the unique character of this build. Enjoy the crabs. I certainly love 'em.

smaerd

TDPRI Member
Hey scatter, is there a place where we can find info on that jig you used for routing the 7.25 curve of the neck?

If that's completely from scratch, two things. 1.) My hat is off to you, good sir. and 2.) Could you give us more details on it?

Thanks.

Kansacaster

TDPRI Member
So fun to watch this thread.

Great to see a clever mind and simple tools humble a CNC machine and mail-order sameness.

Maybe string one of the necks up all baritone style?

Scatter Lee

Friend of Leo's
today I cut all my leftover maple into 1/4" thick strips, had just enough to cover the body, sense the body was only 1 1/2" thick

101_6145.jpg

then I routed out and patched the neck pockets

101_6146.jpg

101_6147.jpg

101_6148.jpg

Scatter Lee

Friend of Leo's
101_6155.jpg

so then I thought a 3/4" scale in the top of the double neck might be cool, lighten it up a little, and so kids can play it too

101_6159.jpg

I'm going to glue a maple fretboard on the little neck and call it a day

jlazaro317

TDPRI Member
Cool!
How did you come up with the dimensions and fret calcs for the 3/4 scale neck? Since I'm building a tele, my kids want one too. A 3/4 would be perfect.
Thanks,
John

jinx667

TDPRI Member
A 3/4 sized tele would be freaking sweet travel and deployment guitar. I would be all over that for the next time I get sent out to some strange desert country!

You are the man.

Scatter Lee

Friend of Leo's
Cool!
How did you come up with the dimensions and fret calcs for the 3/4 scale neck? Since I'm building a tele, my kids want one too. A 3/4 would be perfect.
Thanks,
John

I brought up the actual size neck and body files in photoshop and reduced them both to 75%

then pasted the small neck on the full size neck and aligned them at the bottom of the nut, and made it 50% transparent

then erased the small headstock and everything below the nut on the big one

then pasted the neck on the small body

then took the full size body file and cropped out the bridge rout and holes section and pasted it on the small body so the bridge mounting holes were 19 5/16" below the bottom of the nut

then drew a line from the e string holes to the e string slots on the nut

then drew a line from the sides of the nut parallel to the string lines to the bottom of the neck

keeped the fret lines and markers from the small neck on there, really didnt have to calculate anything

then printed it out full size and made template

I can make it easy for you and attach a file a little later

JohnnyAtomic

Tele-Afflicted
101_6155.jpg

so then I thought a 3/4" scale in the top of the double neck might be cool, lighten it up a little, and so kids can play it too

101_6159.jpg

I'm going to glue a maple fretboard on the little neck and call it a day

I might go even farther and make the little neck 1/2 scale. and make it an octave up. Joe Maphis doubleneck style.

that way you can have similar enough tunings on both neck so you won't have to transpose keys in your head when you change necks mid song.

Status
Not open for further replies.