COMPLETED -The LumberCaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
Sorry lammy I can't find any pics of it on the new computer, it was a long time ago. It looked a little like this one but with a MOTS fretboard and headstock overlay.
top_3:4.jpg

Nason I've made a couple different guits with P-90s and I love 'em!
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys.
Progress has slowed in the last couple days. I got some free paint and am trying to decide whether I like the color enough to use it. In the meantime I made a small pick guard.
I first cut a pattern in 1/4" MDF then used a 1/8" round over bit in the router table to trim it out. It still has the plastic stuff on it so it's a little hazy looking.

hunnerd_dollah_guard.jpg

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
We got color! In the spirit of 'cheep' it's 10 yr old rattlecan forklift paint supplied by Big Mike. Some sort of enamel and kind of a cool color. Should look good with the brushed aluminum, black and MOTS. The neck will be clear except for the headstock.

100_dollah_color.jpg

[Edit] Looks like I cut my finger off doesn't it? Well, I didn't. :D

This is completely off topic but purty. I re-sawed and joined this yesterday. It's the top on a new lapsteel I'm building.

joined_top.jpg

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
I hate to even say this, but it cost me all of $14 for that piece of quilty goodness!! Today I went back to the same place and bought a plank of ash for the lap steel body and found a slightly wider piece of maple that's almost, but not quite, as nice as the one shown. Sometimes you get lucky. :D

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
This is the part that sucks, waiting for the paint to dry.
I'm anticipating playing this one more than most. Fortunately I have that maple and some koa to play with in the meantime.

Sure has been fun watching the other builds. There are some damn inventive (and frankly, fookin' nootz :D ) people here.

Tdot

Poster Extraordinaire
One of the favorite guitars I've played was a '60s Epiphone Century (small hollow body, single P90 neck pup). This is getting fun.

Maricopa

Friend of Leo's
Well, it's pretty much done. I was missing a nut for the output jack so I still need to wire it and do the set-up (details, details :cool: ). I'll post a YouTube clip of it this weekend but here it is.

hunnerd_done_full.jpg

hunnerd_done_front.jpg

hunnerd_done_back.jpg

I counted everything in my cost figgers and had almost everything laying around. A few things I bought even though I didn't need to like a nice solid-shaft pot and a black knob to match the P-90
So here's my breakdown:
Body: 6' 2X4 and 1/3 sheet of 1/4" mdf. $10.00
Neck: 3/4" maple board: $7.00
Tuners: Modified 18:1 Grover Stay-Tites $15 (bought 'em in bulk some years back)
Pick-Up: Eastwood P-90 $15
Pickguard: Off cut of a piece MOTS I bought about 10 years ago. $5.00
Bridge, Neck plate and string anchor: 1/8" aluminum. $2.00
Finish: 2 cans of 10yr old forklift paint $0
One can of ACE clear lacquer. $6.00
Vol pot, screws, knob and strap buttons. $15.00

Total: $75 if I bought everything new. Actual outlay at the time of build was around $30.
This was definitely a 'slap-happy' build. It has a 10ft finish and I didn't exactly sweat the details but I had fun and it was a stress-free build. A nice change of pace.

Fatmanstratman

Poster Extraordinaire
Maricopa said:
Well, it's pretty much done.
And it certainly LOOKS pretty too!...:cool:

Yet another example of the ingenuity, determination and hard work shown by all the guys who have entered this challenge.

This is great work, Maricopa - congratulations!

Wow! We certainly have some talented folks around here. I feel truly humbled....

Status
Not open for further replies.