COMPLETED Spa-Caster - TDPRI $100 Telecaster Challenge

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by IrishMail, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

>>> judge bribe here <<<

JUDGES!! - Here’s my BeDazzling bribe.

I really don’t much concern myself with winning, actually. If, however, TDPRI acknowledges and figures out a reason to buy my challenge-built guitar for that $100 as put forth, I will select one of the judges to receive this BeDazzled one-of-a-kind guitar strap. :!:

W W L D = What Would Leo Do? - Vote for me??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big “F” and the “L” are in gold-tone studs, and the rest are silvery. The Be-Dazzler is actually a piece of junk, but I set each stud and bent the prongs with hemostats, and then used the plastic-fantastic thingie to smash them all down onto a 2" wide black nylon guitar strap.

If this encourages a judge to advocate that my axe be purchased, I’ll be melancholy, but not forlorn. I have had an incredible ride - from rainy-day jacuzzi step to short-scale T-style.

Rules for my judge selection are as follows. I will randomly assign each judge a number from 1 to 5. I will roll a single die, and if it doesn’t come up 6, that judge wins the strap. If 6 is up, I’ll re-roll; it’s that simple. After I receive the C-note, I’ll notify the selected judge by email, obtain a mailing address, and mail the strap.

It’s truly a labor of love (and the best I could come up with for a bribe). You won’t get THIS strap offa eBay, for sure. Vote for me! Vote for me! (Auction the guitar, or give IT away too, if ya’ wanna’)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

I finished the soldering under the control plate. Here's a look at the pickup wires in place.

[​IMG]

Here's one of the other side, which has a lot of black ground wires.

[​IMG]

I took the time to draw a complete wiring diagram. It's probably more than you ever wanted to know about this guitar....

[​IMG]

And, to finish off this post, here is a direct link to the JPG file, so that the wiring diagram may be easily downloaded (you can do the right-clicky thing).

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/IrishMail/Spa-Caster 2009/SPA-CASTERwiring.jpg

Like I said, wiring's done. Time to get out the strings and the screwdrivers. Woo-hoo!!

3. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

I feel like I'm in turn 4 on the last lap with no fuel left.

There is the requisite itemized valuation for this project. I'm not buying anything more that must go on the list, now that I found out that beer wasn't supposed to count anyway. :rolleyes: Oh, and feel free to revalue any of the stuff, my feelings won't get hurt.

[​IMG]

And again, for you downloadies (and judges, I suppose) here is a direct link so you can keep a copy for all eternity.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/IrishMail/Spa-Caster 2009/Spa-Casterfinalcosts.jpg

Judges, don't forget the bribe (that F-in' strap).

4. boozer

boozer Tele-Meister

i still dont see a completed guitar picture?

5. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Still working....

I've got some daylight left and maybe the project will actually start and end on a Friday the Thirteenth.

I posted those details, because I'm not buying anything else, the circuit is done, and I wanted to get them off of my to-do list.

Yes, there WILL be a bunch of pictures when I'm (whew) done. :cool:

6. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

P u r p l e - - h a z e

Much is done, but I haven't screwed down the bridge yet, so the strings aren't up to tension.

OK, I really wanted to see this thing, too. I asked the lighting tech to gimme a purple wash, and, without further racing of my heart,

here is the first complete (almost) photo of the SPA-CASTER!

[​IMG]

(forearm cut is visible, I hope)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  7. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

The bridge did not move but a smidgeon :D . And then (fanfare), I tuned up. Here is the front close-up. Stick a fork in it! I'm done!

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the other side, you'll see the forearm cutaway again. Also the push-pull 750k volume pot and knob, the three-position switch, and the output jack (with the cable plugged in, 'cuz it's rarin' to go).
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, an overall front-shot, being careful not to let the prismatic foil burn my camera again.
    [​IMG]

8. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gorgeous guitar Irish. A lot of ingenuity going into this build.

Man, if I realized beer costs weren't factored into the 100$ limit, I may have started earlier on mine, and had a bit more fun! Although, I might not have as many fingers.

9. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Additional detail:

A closer shot of the GFS Lil Killer pickup. There was a 3-pup populated Bullet pickguard on Fresno craigslist for $20, and this was on the pg. Deal!

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeks ago, I showed the prelim markings for the headstock mod, but left the results for now. It's not purely Tele, because I would have lost the string retainer bar's location if I had, but I think it carries its own weight. I can only imagine that in the mid-60's, the tuner buttons and bushings were much, much whiter than now.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The backside of this guitar isn't (to me) that terribly interesting. It looks like it was dipped in plastic (not a wet look, just a very deep, dark black). For details, here's a shot of the never-mentioned-before tummy cut. Also here is the neck attachment detail with 5 screws and 5 finishing washers instead of a neck plate. There's also a bit of reflection from the gaps between the newly-leafing-out trees.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff Beck's Esquire was the inspiration for the cutaways for the tummy and the forearm. EVH's Wolfgang (Fender 2009 release) was responsible for the rounded body behind the heel of the neck.

This guitar is very light (I have not weighed it). With its shorter scale, slightly smaller body, and light weight, I find myself flashing back to "The Day", and my dipped-in-auto-lacquer Duo-Sonic (thanks, Dad!) He also dipped my bike frame, and I swore it made me faster.

10. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

It's only 9pm in California, so it's still Friday The Thirteenth. Here's more of the SpaCaster.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[​IMG]

I can only hope that the reflection isn't blinding, and that the color is in fact represented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Judges, wouldn't this strap look great at your next gig?

[​IMG]

11. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Final Bribe - Last Offer

OK, here it is again. You know you want it.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fine, I'm done, too. It has absolutely been THE BEST to experience this, and my very best wishes to all the Challengers.

[​IMG]

I'm out. 73's to all. - IrishMail@BikeRider.com (call me at 559-627-0754) :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.