Completed my Bigsby-fied, rosewood-topped Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RomanS, Feb 16, 2008.

1. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I finally finished the work on my new Partscaster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is from Warmoth - a rosewood top on a swamp-ash thinline body, finished in TruOil; pickups are Fender CS Nocaster, 5-way-superswitch wired according to Deaf Eddie's diagram, Bigsby B16, Wilkinson roller bridge; borrowed the neck off another Partscaster for the moment - it's also from Warmoth, a pau ferro board on a maple neck, SS med. jumbo frets, Graphtec nut, 1-3/4" wide, 10-16" compound radius, Kluson-styled locking tuners.

This was the most difficult, problem-ridden build I ever did...

-) First I had the wrong body - a very nice thinline from USACG, which, unfortunately, was a couple of mm too long for the B16 to mount correctly (the B16 is VERY finicky when it comes to body dimensions...); so I ordered this one from Warmoth (after making sure it had the correct dimensions - GREAT help from the Warmoth sales people with that, gotta point that out, esp. with all the negativity about Warmoth sales staff on this board here...)

-) Everybody always goes on about how easy finishing with TruOil is - well, it is NOT!!! Had to order that stuff from the UK, since I could not find it locally; takes about 5 (and I'm only slightly exaggerating) coats, using the wet-sanding-while-oiling method recommended everywhere, to kind of slightly fill the grain; after that, you can start applying it: with fingers (as recommended), it gets uneven and streaky; with cloth you see even the slightest bit of lint (lint-free-cloth turned out to be an oxymoron); use too much TruOil at a time, and you will get lots of runs; use too little, an it will be soaked up more in some places than in others (so you have shiny patches next to matte ones); and better make sure your environment is completely dust-free, as every little speck of dust WILL magically be attracted by your wet & sticky finish, and stay there for good.
    Well, after about 20 to 25 very light coats (again: I'm not exaggerating), applied with a sponge (or rather, 5 sponges, as the get unusable after two or three coats), and sanded with 600 grit after every 4 or 5 coats, the finish looks kind of OK - quite nice from a distance, far from perfect close up.

-) The B16 and the Wilkinson roller bridge did not fit perfectly together - the holes for the mounting studs sit really close to the back edge of the oval bridge cut-out of the B16 - too close, once the cups for the studs were mounted: the B16 was sitting on top of the rims of those cups; had to dremel the back of the B16 in those places to make it fit...

-) I had Warmoth route the neck pocket at an angle (eg. like for a TOM bridge); unfortunately, that angle was still way too small - had to shim (with the thickness of two credit cards) to get a break angle that works; had to screw the bridge post really far out from the cups, so now the whole bridge assembly makes a rocking action when using the Bigsby (will try to correct that, either by making a wooden shim to sit underneath the bridge, or by using some additional nuts on the mounting posts).
    Here's a pic of what the break angle is like (Looks kinda like the bridge assembly on a jazz box, huh?):

[​IMG]

WHEW, had to get all of that off my chest....

Now, after I made it all work, here's what the guitar sounds like:

Nothing at all like my other Partscaster (see my gallery - solid alder body, Bigsby B5, vintage ashtray bridge).
    I don't know whether it is the Bigsby/bridge combo, the thinline body, or the Pickups (as I said: CS Nocasters in this one, my other one has slightly overwound LeoSound MudCats - alnico 5 magnets vs. the Nocaster's Alnico 3), but the difference is really huge:
    This Thinline does have some twang (a little bit of it), but not a traditional Tele twang - more like a Gretsch or Danelectro, or maybe Jazzmaster twang - less in-your-face, less aggressive, less bright, with less attack; it's more of a full, round, sweet sound, lots of harmonic overtones; kind of inbetween twang and chime; a more refined, sweet, sophisticated sound compared to a "real" Teles, raw, punchy attack. Oh, and it does have some characteristics of a semi-acoustic tone (esp. on the neck pickup I can get a woodyness - sorry, can't find a better word - similar to that of my Epi Sheraton). Oh, and it sounds SWEET, in case I didn't mention it!

Oh, and about the B16 & Wilkinson roller bridge vs. the B5 & vintage ashtray: as expected (and this was one of the main reasons why I wanted to build this), the action of the B16 is much softer, "wobblier" & less stiff than the B5 - it really feels like Bigsbys on archtop guitars feel - love it; oh, and it stays in tune very well.

So, in final conclusion:
    Do I like how this guitar came out? Yes, I LOVE it!
    Was it worth all the trouble? Hmmm....
    Would I build something like that again (or recommend someone else to try it): No way!!! If you want a Bigsby, and don't want to have to deal with tons of small issues and fixing, by all means use a B5, not a B16!!!

2. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

That is beautiful! All that pain = more mojo, right?

3. Birdsnest

Birdsnest Tele-Meister

It looks incredible in the pics! Top view, side view.... exceptional. If it sounds as good as it looks you have a winner for sure. Good job.

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

beautiful man! beautiful!

i love the look of a rosewood tele, but with that light colored ash back? man, that's something special!

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wunderbar!

But I'm gonna get picky. :twisted: I wish you'd have glued a rosewood veneer to the headstock. I love guitars that are all one wood/colour one side and all another on the other.

6. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks wonderful, love the Indian Rosewood, a classic.

7. Cassidy

Cassidy Tele-Holic

Very nice. Actually beyond nice.

I've used Tru-Oil a lot over the years for gunstocks, re-finishes and builds. The best applicator I've found by far is a cut up old T-shirt. I could have warned you about the number of coats... I average 12-15.

Cassidy :cool:

8. RomanS

Thanks - but I beg to differ... Painted or dark headstocks never look right to me on Fender-style guitars, for my taste those need the maple-faced look.

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Beautiful oh Rosewood

Very pretty to begin with you made it prettier

10. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Wow, she's mighty fine.
    Congrats, nice work!

:cool:

11. dougk

dougk Tele-Holic

Man that is gorgeous with rosewood!

If you have a plunge router its not to hard to recut that neck pocket with more of an angle. Just use a neck pocket template and shim one end of it up to get the angle you want then route it out.

-doug

12. RomanS

Wow, that old thread popped up again...?

Unfortunately, that guitar is currently "out of order" - I tried a couple of different neck pickups, but couldn't find one I was completely happy with, so I "borrowed" the neck of that one for another Tele project; in the meantime I have routed that body for a CC-style neck pickup from VVG; still need to make a pickguad for that, and I will also have to order another Warmoth neck (I'm waiting with ordering because supposedly after Dec. 1 the EU raises the limit for customs-exempt imports...).
    Oh, and I'm going to replace that Wilkinso roller bridge with a regular TuneOMatic - that Wilkinson is not bad, but I do a bit of Travis picking, and tended to pop the high E string out of the roller when doing that...

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The guitar looks great, Roman!

I like the looks of the rosewood over ash enough, that I will leave this clear lacewood (silky oak) over ash Thinline au naturel with just the clear finish. I'm liking it!

14. OutlawSteph1975

OutlawSteph1975 Friend of Leo's

She's beautiful! Good luck getting the bugs out.

15. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

That aluminum B16 does change the sound.
    Mine has a Gretsch sound. Not much Tele in there.
    It's a guitar that Tom Petty would LOVE.

16. Kingsnakes

Kingsnakes TDPRI Member

That's a thing of beauty

17. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

SWEET!

18. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

...looks spiffier than three kittens in a red wagon.....[​IMG]

19. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Very beautiful. I WANT ONE.

20. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Very nice work.Beautiful git.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.