COMPLETED - lbridenstine's black walnut guitar

Discussion in '2014 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by lbridenstine, Mar 1, 2014.

1. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Alright, I brought it upstairs and looked at it at different angles with the sun coming through different windows, different rooms, and under the kitchen light and it's pretty hard to see the scratch marks in most of those places, so I guess the basement lights make it look worse. I guess I'll use the polishing compound once more, then swirl remover, then get installing stuff.

2. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

This is right about the time the first "sand through" rears it's ugly head.

3. lbridenstine

Just swirl remover then?

4. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Tele-Holic

I have the same scenario on the Wineburst Tele I'm working on. I'm about to sand it down with 1000 again to get down to the scratches, and spray more clear...again. Although from a foot away the tiny scratches are not easily seen, it it bugging me so I'm going to go through the whole spay - sand again.

5. lbridenstine

Don't tell me that.

Haha.

I was kind of considering trying to do one thin coat of wipe on poly to see if it would cover them, but I don't know how much I'd have to sand to get the polish off and I don't know if the scratches are on the surface or underneath. :-/

6. photondev

photondev Tele-Holic

beautiful build Lisa, congrats

7. lbridenstine

I just looked at my dad's soldering iron and it's only 15 watts. Eesh. More to buy. I guess it's a good thing I already have to go back to Radio Shack.

8. lbridenstine

Thank you! Let's see if I can get it together today.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Go to Radio Shack, get the solder, and a new iron, and other supplies. Assemble your beautiful guitar. Set it up and play it. The finish is finished, and it's superb. Worry about the microscopic scratches after the Challenge, if you must!

10. R. Stratenstein

BTW, what wiring layout are you going to use?

11. lbridenstine

WAS considering. I don't think I actually will.

I got the stuff at Radio Shack. I'm just going to go with the diagram that came with the pickups.

12. R. Stratenstein

Good.

What flavor of pickups are they? I forgot.

13. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

Simply stunning work, and a set neck as well? As we say here in New England, Wicked Awesome!

14. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

AMAZING job! Pictures don't always tell the whole story, but from what I have seen STICK A FORK IN IT, IT IS DONE! That finish is sick!

15. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You have a gorgeous build I wouldn't bother with another poly coat or sanding. The neck is awesome!

You can get by with stopping at 800 grit as long as you use the correct grit buffing compounds progressively to the desired look. Be cautious of cheap paste compounds though as grit sizes can be inconsistent & cause random deeper scratches.

16. lbridenstine

They're GFS. The neck pickup is vintage wound and the bridge is overwound. I'm hoping they sound good.

Thanks guys!

I need more practice with getting a perfect finish, but I'm done with the finish on this one (although, I might redo the truss rod cover because it does have witness lines or sand through on the edges).

I have most of the hardware installed, just taking a break to watch videos on soldering electronics, then I'll go do that. I'll wait until tomorrow to get the "final photos", but I'm sure I'll still put some up tonight too.

17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Go Lisa!

18. lbridenstine

Well, I got some practice soldering. I think it ended up okay, but I did get a chance to try out the de-soldering braid (which was actually kind of cool) and re-do a couple wires. I don't have an amp anymore, but it is getting a signal to the tuner pedal, so that's a good sign. I'll have to plug it into my recording interface as a test before the video.

[​IMG]

You can see the witness lines or sand through or whatever it is around the edges of the truss rod cover. I sprayed another coat of poly on that tonight and it looked smooth, so I'm not planning on sanding it at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These tuners are heavy.

[​IMG]

So, then I brought it up to my room to tune it and I got carried away taking pictures. I'm not considering these my final ones yet, so I hope you guys don't mind more. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to be one of the cool kids and use a soldering iron to heat up the ferrule to help it in, but I just ended up burning the ferrule and making the poly around it bubble. :eek: The color of that ferrule is different than the rest of them now, so I scruffed them all up with a scotch brite pad, which got them a little closer to matching. I ended up using a plastic hammer (the one I use for frets) to press them in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, so yeah, mirror finish. I won't complain. :D

[​IMG]

19. lbridenstine

I guess I didn't do a good job on the nut slot. The nut isn't seated good and the frets buzz from about 1-10 on the bass side, but only the first couple on the treble side. The nut is somehow slanted a little towards the frets on the bass side, so I'm assuming that's what's causing it. I'll have to fix that.

I haven't intonated the bridge yet, but it's pretty close already. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Oh, and the final weight is 6.6 lbs.

20. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

That's absolutely beautiful. I'm looking forward to hearing it play. You have a great eye, and you do astounding work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.