1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : HenryD's 2015 GSM Challenge Build "The NotQuiteACaster"

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by HenryD, Jun 11, 2015.

1. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Awesome design! Looks great!

2. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

Little update. I was able to slot the fretboard tonight. First time doing this myself, I had been buying pre slotted boards from LMI or StewMac.

I ended up buying the StewMac miter box and slotting template. Still need to get a bit better at setting it up but it came out pretty well.

I will have to deepen the slots once I radius the fretboard, but for now we're looking good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ended up with this. I went the full 24 frets but it will only be a 22 fretter.

[​IMG]

I think I'll radius the board before I glue it onto the neck blank, so that will be my next task. I'll be sanding it with a radius block. Should be a good work out!

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Great start, Henry. 'Nother big poplar fan here, makes good 'tars.

4. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Thanks man!

I do enjoy working with poplar. In fact, I did some work with the body today.

First up was getting the body ready for flush trimming with the router. I decided to try out a new tool today. I bought one of those microplane rotary shapers. I had previously been using the robo sanders, and while nice, they take a while, can cause burning if you don't move fast enough, and make a lot of dust. These rotary shapers are pretty aggressive and took off a good bit of meat in a short amount of time. I attached my template and had at it.

[​IMG]

Small tangent, but I had upgraded my drill press prior to this build. Got myself one of those fancy Grizzly Radial presses. No more drilling side jacks by hand for me!

[​IMG]

Anyway, after I got pretty close to the line with the microplane, I cleaned up the edge on the ROSS.

[​IMG]

Then off to the router table with the big scary bit.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to start hogging out some wood for the cavities. First I marked the areas.

[​IMG]

Hogged out on the drill press.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached the template and went to town. Lots of sawdust on the bench.

[​IMG]

Looks like everything will fit.

[​IMG]

And thats all.

[​IMG]

I'm very pleased with how its looking so far. I probably won't get much more done this weekend as I have a gig tomorrow night and fathers day is on Sunday.

Hopefully next week I'll have all the round overs and contours done on the body, and I'll have the neck going too.

5. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

I have an almost identical drill press made by Shop Fox. Isn't it nice to be able to reach anywhere on a guitar body?

6. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Congrats on the radial! Nice poplar body

7. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I like that body. Nice to see poplar being used. How do you like working with it?

8. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Yeah I'm really enjoying it so far. I had a 10" craftsman drill press before this so I ended up having to drill a few of the bridge holes by hand. Not a huge deal but it sure is nice to have an endless amount of clearance.

Thanks Helmut! Next up is one of those 14" Grizzly bandsaws. Maybe the fat man will bring me one for Christmas this year lol.

Thanks! I worked with poplar on a bass build a while back and really enjoyed the stuff. It works really nice and is very easy on tools. It can get a little fuzzy but it scrapes/sands beautifully. It's not the prettiest wood out there, but some pieces like this one have pretty nice character.

I'm painting this anyway, but I think I'm going to keep the "ugly green" color going with my color choice.

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Looks good!

10. Jared Evans

Jared Evans Tele-Meister

Very clean!

11. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Noice!!

12. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! Micro update tonight.

Did a little sanding

[​IMG]

Got the sides all cleaned up from any little imperfections when I flush trimmed the edges.

[​IMG]

Rounded the edges with an 1/8" bit. Keeping it pretty traditional tele.

[​IMG]

Then I drilled some holes for all the wires.

[​IMG]

My goal for the end of the week is to have the belly contour done and possibly some contouring on the heel done. I also have to get cracking on the neck.

13. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Little more progress tonight.

I got my rear holes drilled for ferrules. I decided to recess them entirely. First time doing this, they came out ok. I used a step bit that went from 1/4" to 5/16" for the lip. I'd probably just use two separate brad points or forstner bits next time. One's a hair off but nothing terrible.

[​IMG]

Then for the real messy bit. I decided to thin down the heel so you can really get all up in those upper frets. I saw this style on some old shred style guitars. I dig it.

Once I had it all set up, as the Thing would say, it was clobbering time.

[​IMG]

I just routed the edge with the template then cleared up the center with the body in my router planing jig.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then all cleaned up.

[​IMG]

I'm going to try and drill the jack hole and do the belly cut tomorrow.

So far I'm happy with how this is progressing.

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it is coming along nicely.
    Also, you got some nice tools.

15. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Thanks man! I used to blow all my money on new gear, now I blow it all on tools to make new gear. Go figure!

Made a bit more progress today. I was able to rig up a way to drill the side jack on my drill press.

[​IMG]

Looks like some sort of torture device, but I can assure you, it was only used to install the jack. I'm using an electrostatic jack.

[​IMG]

Pretty nice! I used to do it by hand and sometimes would get the angle a little askew. This was pretty easy on the drill press once I had everything locked in place.

Anyway then it was onto the belly cut.

[​IMG]

I pretty much just eyeballed it and then clamped it down to the bench.

[​IMG]

Normally this task got delegated to my Shinto rasp, however, I was feeling a bit lazy today. I ended up chucking one of my new microplane rotary shapers into my hand drill and had a go at it. It still took me about an hour to complete, but I liked how it went.

[​IMG]

I especially liked the fact that unlike a rasp, the microplane actually just makes tiny little shavings instead of dust. I still wore a respirator, but it was nice not having a dust cloud.

[​IMG]

I had to bust out the rasp for the last little bit to even a few places out.

[​IMG]

Then it was sandpaper and a rubber block. I'm pleased with the end result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll refine the belly contour and the heel contour a bit more before I say it's all done, but for now that's all.

16. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

Smooth! That's a handsome belly cut. Nice work.

17. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

Nice! I wanna put my mouth on those carves! :)

18. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I love that curve at the heel, nice job Henry!

19. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Really clean work. The ferrules are perfect. The belly contour looks comfortable from here. It's like it's out of a cnc machine! Keep it up

Good luck on radiusing the fb with a block. First one I did took ages!

Matthew

20. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Thanks guys!

My first order of business today was to drill for the ferrules. Pretty straightforward. I went a little oversized to account for the finish getting in there. On my last build using Ferrules I had to take a Dremel sanding drum to the holes to get the ferrules to fit again after paint. Drilling at 5/8" should allow for enough wiggle room.

[​IMG]

Then I sharpened up one of my mini spokeshaves. Not the best quality tool but I was able to get a good enough edge on the blade. Marked out my lines and had at it.

[​IMG]

After a few goes around.

[​IMG]

Then some sand paper around the edges and I put a 1/8" round over on the rest of the heel by hand.

[​IMG]

Pretty good looking if I do say so myself. Nice and comfy too.

[​IMG]

Gonna start working on the neck tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have it flush trimmed, routed for truss rod at the minimum. I'd like to get the fretboard on there too. but we shall see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.