1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Guitar Novice's TDPRI 2015 GSM Challenge

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Guitar novice, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

I'll try this tomorrow.

I've hit a wall.. 6pm and i'm going to bed. Hope to get the back on by the weekend and the rosette done for the soundboard. Will see how we go with that..

Cheers

Matthew

2. Guitar novice

Cheers for that. When you go looking there are some really great aussie timbers that work well in guitars.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Even if you're not happy with the grain match up the accent strip just make that irrelevant in my opinion because it looks amazing.
    This is an outstanding build.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Very nice. It's fun to watch somebody else build an acoustic and see what their approach is to the same stuff.

5. Guitar novice

It's amazing how many different ways things are done. I have a book and a video that i'm using to help guide me. On some things their methods are totally different.

Thanks Chris. Really appreciate it. I'm very excited how this is coming along. Just a shame that part wasn't perfect as that was my intention. Next build will be better (what a sickness..)

Cheers

Matthew

6. Guitar novice

Bit of a slow start today. 2 trips to the hardware store and looking after a 5 and 3 year old is slowing me down (how much damage can they do if i leave them to it....)

Put some metho on the back to get an idea of the finish look. It's going to work ok. In future builds I would like to have a little purfling in there.. for this build I'm learning to walk first..

[​IMG]

Todays task is to glue on the back. I'm expecting this to be a big job. I made a sanding stick to assist getting the kerfing on the right angle for the glue up.

I used this flexbile plastic to make a curve.. it wasn't good enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A thin bit of timber was much better.

[​IMG]

Band saw out the outline.

[​IMG]

Came out pretty good. Slight sand to smooth out the marks and then attach some sandpaper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was to remake the clamping cauls. The one's i did pre challenge was sized to fit the mold but of course the guitar sits inside the mold!

[​IMG]

The old ones are on the right.

[​IMG]

Time to sand the kerings. These are a little proud so I can sand the shape in.

[​IMG]

You can see the sort of curve i'm putting on the kerfing.

[​IMG]

With the sanding stick you don't want to go close to the tail and neck block. these blocks are on a 4 degree angle and there is a risk that you will sand the corners off. I'll hand sand these parts with a sanding block.

[​IMG]

Job done.

[​IMG]

Part of the trip to the hardware store I picked up some more clamps. It starts to add up when you need a lot of these things!

[​IMG]

Next up is to check that everything is symmetrical and then mark out the guitar sides to cut grooves for the braces to sit in.

Matthew

7. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Curve marker

For making the curve for your curved sanding bar I would have used the long stainless ruler on the bench at the time. That's what I usually use. :D

The build is going great Matt, you have a great affinity with this kind of work. Do you do stuff like this for your day job?

DC

8. Guitar novice

Great idea. I'll pinch that for next time.

My day job involves running a busy accounting firm. I'm surprised how well this build is going so far. I'm very pedantic about getting it right so I'm slow but the end result is working out so far.

This is my 3rd challenge build and each time I'm getting better (learning from the many mistakes..)

9. Guitar novice

Mini update.

Progress has ground to a halt.

Checking the symmetry the guitar is out slightly. Only a 1mm. Need to think about what I do to try to correct it (or if it's even needed to be corrected).

Might put it down for a bit and start work on the neck.

The 2 photos show the areas i'm checking and the method to measure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Guitar novice

Small update.

Dimensioned some queensland maple for the side splints.

Cut them to size on the bandsaw and then thicknessed using a plane.

The plane is fun to use and it got very close to uniform thickness but wasn't quite perfect. Finished the last bit off in the drum sander. These will be cut to length after the back is glued on and the kerfing for the soundboard is glued on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matthew

11. Guitar novice

Feel like i'm starting to make progress again. I pretty much stopped to work out why the guitar was out of symmetry. The guitar followed the mold nicely and the mold itself was created using flush router bits so it should work.

Turns out that the straight edge being a bit a plastic spirit level was not straight. Went back to a stainless steel ruler and measuring from that it looks like it may only be fractions of a mm out. Don't think I could get that better so decided to move on.

Heres the culprit.

[​IMG]

First up was to glue a bit of timber to the very inside back edge of the guitar and mark the centre line. That's going to be mark to line up the back each time I try to fit it.

[​IMG]

The back is a bit awkward to clamp on but extending a bit of timber of the workbench made it much easier. Here is the back clamped up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back braces need to be notched into the side.

I mark the location of each brace.

[​IMG]

I also mark the inside of the guitar and also the inside of the brace.

[​IMG]

I measure the height of the brace where it hits the side. this will tell me how deep I need to notch.

[​IMG]

On top of the sides I rule a line showing where I need to cut. I line up the other side of the brace marks

[​IMG]

I'm aiming for about 2 or 2.5mm height on the brace where it meets the side. If the brace is too high then I need to make a bigger notch and that will mean bigger bindings.

This brace was 1mm to high so a finger plane made short work of that issue.

[​IMG]

Here is a notch marked and ready for cutting.

[​IMG]

Time to start cutting. I put a slope on the blade because the brace is also on a slope. The angle on this photo is too much but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

First one done. I also have a small file that can clean up the notch and will use it to deepen the slots if required later.

[​IMG]

round 1 is done. Need to now recheck the depths and put the back on to see where I need to enlarge the notches (they should all need it as I cut inside the lines).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for a short break and then i'll go again with fresher eyes.

Cheers

Matthew

12. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

It's funny Matthew, that you don't like the tail joint. When I saw this photo I thought it was a beautiful thing, in fact it is my favourite of all the (very well done) shots of the build so far. You're doing great!

[​IMG]

13. Guitar novice

It's now just a case of putting the back on. Seeing what material I need to shave off and then retrying. It's slow going but it's getting closer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kerfing had too much angle so i have hand sanded that down a bit. It's sitting a bit better now.

That might be it for tonight. Due to go out so will see what time I get back.

Cheers

Matthew

14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Looks awesome so far Matthew - I think this is one of the most ambitious challenge builds I've seen.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree, I think it kind of looks like an above shot of a tornado

yeah it is. awesome to watch!

Such a disease! :twisted: :cool:

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

sik....totally....sandgroper, san.... a mighty fine blog....

still smiling about w3stie commenting on a westies guitar.... wakka wakka,,,

who's bringing the popcorn to this thread?....;)

17. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I never thought I would want to make an acoustic, now because of you, I'm not sure anymore. Very interesting process.

18. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

By far and away my favourite build so far! Your degree of ability and expertise and attention to detail are inspiring me to build an acoustic myself just like Andre above.

Thanks for keeping us entertained and enthralled.

DC

19. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Great job Matthew!!! That is going to be gorgeous.

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, this is moving along really beautifully.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.