1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Guitar Novice's TDPRI 2015 GSM Challenge

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Guitar novice, Jun 11, 2015.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Beautiful work Matt! Looks like you were very prepared for the build.

2. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Yeh I had been hanging out for it for awhile.

I wanted to build an acoustic for 12 mths and as soon as I saw the challenge came up I knew it was my only chance of finishing one!

Having lots of fun. My wife is still talking to me but I don't know how long that will last for with the amount of hours i'm pouring into it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. Guitar novice

Got in the workshop after my lesson tonight.

Decided to scallop the back braces. I don't think it's critical to the sound as the back is not a "live" back.

First step was to sharpen the chisel. I'm using a tormek sharpening system. I'm still getting used to it but I can see it's got potential to making short work of keeping blades sharp. In this instance I reduced the angle of the chisel down a bit so it took quite awhile to hone the new angle. Certainly got it sharp.. more on that later.

[​IMG]

Trying to visualise the shaping that I want. Something like this... i felt the curves came out more naturally as I was carving with the chisel.

[​IMG]

On this brace it was a bit weird. The grain seemed to be running in the wrong direction.

[​IMG]

Getting this brace closer. I want more of a ramp so more work needed on it.

[​IMG]

Accidentally touched the edge of the chisel while looking at something else. Hardly touched it and barely felt it but it was certainly sharp.

[​IMG]

Another problematic brace where the grain wasn't cooperating. I used a couple of finger planes to take some material off. These worked pretty good.

[​IMG]

Finished for tonight. I'll have another look at it tomorrow to work out if I want to take more material off. Looks ok at first glance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting close to gluing the back on. I'm guessing that will be Friday as it's going to take some time to get it to fit properly.

Cheers

Matthew

4. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Once you bleed on it Matthew, it's your forever!

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Ya - are chisel the most dangerous tool in anyone's shop or what...

Great work on those braces - looking forward to how this will come together.

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Blood of the builder triples the value of any instrument, often cost extra :twisted:

I'm really digging this!

7. Jdelys

Jdelys Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

What bugs me about blood is it's magnetic attraction to my shirt. And to what ever project I'm working on.

8. Guitar novice

Just like my toast falls butter side down!

Thanks. Looks like with my blood upgrade the hourly rate has increased to about $1.50.

I've got a spot setup in the office for it.. if it's good i'll put one of my other guitars in there ;)

Thanks Guys

9. Guitar novice

Quick update as I need to run kids to school.

Next step is to fit a back strip. It's raining here and humidity is a little bit higher than I like (well at 5 am anyway). Turned on the dehumidifier and that should sort that out pretty quick.

I need to make more kerfing for the soundboard. 2 strips I had cut before had a bit of a bend on them. I was thinking I shouldn't use them but since they were cut and the bandsaw was setup with the kerfing jig I thought I would do them up anyway just to see. The bend came out after the kerfing was cut so I'm happy to use it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to think about what sort of timber to use for rosette, backstrip and binding. Heres a couple of choices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a bit late now.. better run

Cheers

Matthew

10. Guitar novice

Not much to report. Got home tonight and the humidity is at 60%. I'm bringing that down before I glue on the backstrip.

In the meantime I sanded up the centre strips. A bit of sandpaper makes them look a lot better. Slightly round off the top edges.

Here is what I'm starting with.

[​IMG]

The bottom one has the face sanded

[​IMG]

Edges rounded.

[​IMG]

My girls decided to "help" clean up.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Matthew

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A couple of cuties there Matt! Great build mate!

DC

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Other people's blood..is less painful on your new build, though.....:twisted:

long story...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

13. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Holic

Very humid here too - 72% - going gangbusters there with all your assistants ... Enjoying the ride!

14. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I used to make an unintentional habit of putting blood on all of my instruments. But, I have never hurt myself using a power tool. It is always chisels. And yes, sharp one cause minimal (immediate) pain, but create plenty of blood. I have learnt more and more about respecting them.

15. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

:eek:

:cool:

16. Guitar novice

The router is the one tool that scares the hell out of me. I've had a few "learning experiences". Because i'm extremely careful with it it's more likely that i'll get injured with something that is not as obviously dangerous (such as a chisel).

Yeh it hasn't stopped raining here. I've had the dehumifier on since I got home.. got it down from 60 to 50% so i decided to do some work tonight.

That looks like a lot of blood! Feel free to share.

Thanks Dave. The kids somehow always look angelic in the photos.. if only it was the case all the time

update coming

17. Guitar novice

Ok so the humidity got to reasonable level so I thought I could get a back strip in nice and easily and be in bed early to catch up on sleep.. wrong..

Everything went well.. just took a long time

Humidity was 60% when I got home.. all sorted now

[​IMG]

Guitar is out of the mold.. starting to look like a guitar

[​IMG]

I'm going to run a router against a bit of timber. Check that it's straight.

[​IMG]

Measure the distance of the router bit to the edge of the router base. 39mm in this case (or thereabouts)

[​IMG]

The strip is going to be 10mm wide. Mark 5mm either side of the centreline.

[​IMG]

Measure out where the fence needs and clamp it down. Draw a line on the fence and then see how the bit sits.

[​IMG]

Lots of fiddling around but its good. The trick to make small adjustments is if you need to move closer you just draw a line on the fence and then move the fence to make the line disappear.. easy way to keep reference of small changes in the fence.

[​IMG]

Ready for routing.. depth set to a bit less than 2mm.

[​IMG]

Rout done. No photo of me doing it.. too hard to sweat bullets and take photos at the same time..

[​IMG]

Going to use tiger myrtle back strip. Onto the shooting board and get a flat edge.

[​IMG]

Band saw out bit more than 10 mm.. i should of been braver.. it would of saved me more time sanding..

[​IMG]

Need to take down about a mm to fit.

[​IMG]

I stuck the face to a block and cleaned up the face side of the timber by rubbing on my levelling beam with sandpaper attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to reduce the width. I tried a few different ways to hold it and each was a bit fiddly. at first i was holding the timber and had the levelling beam in a vice. I realised that I would be prone to sanding an angle on the end so i went back to the shooting board and had other timber to hold it.. worked quite well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this stage I had been sanding for probably an hr.. so close... but as they say.. close only counts with hand grenades.

[​IMG]

Finally got a fit and ready for glue up.

[​IMG]

Some baking paper to stop the clamps getting glued to the guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't want to leave the guitar out of the mould all night while its raining.. i might set the alarm for a few hours time and trim the edges so I can get it back in the mould.

This build is taking over my life... having fun at least.

Cheers

Matthew

18. Guitar novice

Quick update before I have to get to work.

Got up at 3 this morning to cut the excess material of the backstrip off and get the guitar in the mold. It's been raining here so the humidity wants to climb so the sooner it's in the mold the better. The dehumidifier had been running overnight and did a good job of keeping it in check. Over night it had completely filled up it's water reservoir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I need to sand down to the line. There is quite a bit to take down so I used the block plane to get it started. This plane has been my most used tool so far for this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finish the last bit with sanding.

[​IMG]

And it's done. 2 things I notice. 1) somehow I didn't match up the grain pattern, very annoying. 2) not happy with the contrast of the tiger myrtle strip.

I think i'll look for an alternative with the bindings.

First world problems really..

[​IMG]

Cheers

Matthew

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  19. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you rub a bit of metho on it you'll probably find that they will contrast nicely when a finish is on it. The metho won't give you exactly what the finish would be, but is a good indicator. I think you'll like it!

DC

20. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Fantastic build Matthew, I'll be watching this one. Great to see someone using aussie timbers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.