1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Davecam48"s Hollocaster

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Davecam48, Jun 10, 2015.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I can't wait to see this one finished - some of the details, like the headstock and bridge, are works of art.

2. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

This is looking good Dave.

Last push and you will get it across the line. I'm glad that the router mishap didn't cause any major damage to you or the guitar. That tool scares me each time I use it! I'm hoping that won't change..

Matthew

3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Good, the Bad, and the Downright Stupid!

A bit more done today! In the control cavity I routed a slot from the inside to mount a 5 way switch, all well and good until the silly old [email protected] with the router tried to rout out a recess for the cover to sit on, totally forgetting that there was no wood on that side for the bearing to run on. Result????

Major destruction of the top section of the cavity. Got some old binding and taped down along the line it was supposed to take and made a slurry of Titebond and pine sawdust powder and bogged it up. Didn't really do much except laugh at me so I pulled it out and this time mixed 2 pack clear epoxy and dust. Much better! Hopefully won't be too bad with a finish, and it's on the back as well.

Then made another routing jig for a second cavity and this one came out OK :oops: With about 30 mins of daylight left I did a quick template and cut out a couple of PU ring blanks from the waste bunya from one of the cutouts. Milled them down to 11.05mm :rolleyes: and cut two covers for the cavities. Love my pin router!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some pics.

DC

Attached Files:

4. Davecam48

Forgot

Forgot to tell you. I also had a few minutes to knock up a pair of cavity covers from a sheet of this plastic I bought several years ago. At the rate I'm using it, it will all be gone when I'm about 107y.o.

Thought I'd throw in a photo of a small building lot I bought. Now I just have to figure out how to get to it! :twisted:

Attached Files:

5. Davecam48

Some progress today, all fiddley stuff without a major achievement, but as they say one foot after the other.

Made some pu covers out of the pine from the holes the other day and today set about routing a recess into each pu position for the covers to fit into. No pics of the routing process but two pieces of right angle aluminium clamped to the body and a top bearing router bit. We've all seen it before. Set one router guide to the correct position and then using the cover blank clamped the second guide rail on for a very tight fit, and both worked out quite tight.

Mounted a pu in each cover for fit, and wacked on an E and e string and retainer, measured 'em, marked 'em, cut 'em and sanded 'em a bit to shape, then ran out of daylight.

Attached Files:

6. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

That looks GOOD. I am really digging how this one is turning out.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

This looks cool too!

8. Davecam48

Thanks guys! It will look better if I can get to put some finish on it. Hey Marty re the rosewood knobs..............When I make knobs I have some hole saws I can remove the drill bit from and replace it with a short stub. Acts like a big plug cutter, takes one minute .....but then..... if I had a cnc....:cool:

As Kwerk once told me "I like your knob" :)

DC

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

:eek::lol::lol::lol:

Nice saves! I really want to do one like this now. How light is it?

10. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looking good. Loving that design.

11. Davecam48

A little more today. Getting most of the small detailed stuff just about finished, and hopefully I'll be able to start a final sanding tomorrow which will take a few days I think, then on to a finish. Still haven't decided what I'll put on it. I'm leaning towards a few coats of hard shellac, rubbed back and then some poly wipe perhaps. I have not had very good luck with the spray gun but have done a few poly wipe finishes which turned out not too bad. Today cut a small channel under the bridge area for a wire to ground the six individual units and tinned a bit of wire at the end to prevent unravel, and checked for fit. One plus with doing a zero fret is, if you can ground one unit, they should all be grounded through the zero fret.

Fitted two magnets in each pu ring cavities and matched them with opposing pole magnets in the covers. Not as strong a hold as screw downs but I dislike screws on the top of a guitar. The covers have been fitted very tightly and do not move but the magnets should seal the deal.
    Some pics for you're listening and dancing pleasure!!!

DC

Attached Files:

12. guitarbuilder

I've been using shellac quite a bit and really like it. It smells nice... like a mixed drink or shot of some hard liquor.....as opposed to a toxic waste dump like lacquer. It seems to dry pretty fast too, so without a compressor or spray booth... I get something reasonable.

13. Davecam48

Yeah it smells ok for beetle poo! The stuff I use is an Aussie product called "Hard Shellac" from the U Beut company in Melbourne (I think) they make a range of great dyes and oils etc. The hard shellac has some polymers added to harden the finish but the shellac still works the same, if not better than the stuff you make from flakes. Check them out here [email protected]

DC

14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

:lol: I'm just guessing you have a parachute for the riding mower :lol:

Looking great Dave, that plastic beetle poo sounds interesting.

15. Davecam48

Well the time has come where I have to put some gloss on this beast. This is the part of building that I detest wholeheartedly. I am not a good finisher but I have handicapped myself with this one by using bunya pine for the body as it is very soft and marks very easily. The blackbean top is great and if I do another using the bunya I'll have to skin it both sides for durability.
    Today I got the spray gun out and squirted 2 coats of very diluted hard shellac at it and left it to dry about an hour. A light rub down later and I started to give it a massage with Tru Oil and that horrible "A" stuff. I was going to brand it with my Mibam branding iron but chickened out and reverted to a laser transfer instead. Bunya is beautiful timber but it has some drawbacks in that there seems to be a tendency for patches of mould like appearance coming out as finish goes on. It isn't mould but something within the wood itself.
    Gave it three coats of TO altogether and let it suspended on the finishing table. Anyhow some pics to show a bit of progress.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      37.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Davecam48

As a follow up regarding the branding on the back of the unit, it is because there was no space on the headstock! :lol:

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      36.1 KB
      Views:
  17. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

What a beauty. I like it a lot. Brilliant decal. That just made me laugh

18. guitarbuilder

That looks very cool. How does the neck feel in your hand?

19. Davecam48

Very natural Marty. Your thumb can ride up the flat track in the middle without sliding past the central position and I feel the trap. design gives you better reach to the E side of the neck.

DC

20. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, that is a very cool looking neck profile and it sounds very ergonomic. Have to add that to the list of the 'must try'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.