1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Davecam48"s Hollocaster

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Davecam48, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's how I did it Rob but it only gets the "bulk" off, it certainly doesn't make for a one step finish of it. Ah well. all good experience.

DC

2. Davecam48

Still playing with the neck. Yesterday and today spent refining the edges of the fretboard to get the silkiest feel up and down a neck that I have ever felt. Really super slick! On reflection I wonder why more manufacturers don't do bound necks and nibs, guess the extra production time.
    Drilled the tuner mount holes and mounted them, ran into a slight problem I found after I had the holes drilled. Because I situated the tuners where I thought they looked best, I found that the e and E string tuners were resting on the curve where the headstock transitions up to the neck. Small problem solved by letting them in to the wood ever so slightly. Looks ok now. Also today cut the initial slots for the zero fret string guides and gave the neck a final sand and rubbed two coats of Hard Shellac into him and that's about it for the day. Pics as evidence!!! :lol:

DC

Attached Files:

3. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Love that headstock

4. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Hi Dave

That neck is looking great. Does the binding shrink over time?

I'm interested in using shellac. What and how do you use that?

Matthee

5. Davecam48

Thanks Michael I've used that same shape before but this "holey" version is the first time I've done it this way. Hope it doesn't go splat when it is tuned.

DC

6. Davecam48

Give it a good shellacing!

Hi Matt. Don't know if the binding will shrink but the fret board behind the binding is from an electricity pole crossmember that was on a pole outside my house for at least 40 years or so. So, I'm hoping the wood has done all its shrinking and if it is stable I'm fairly sure the binding will be ok too.

Here's a link to the shellac I use. Aussie product and it is very versatile. Shellac can be used as a sealer, filler, top coat, French polish etc etc and this has additional polymers in it to make it harder.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/hardshell.htm

For this job I think I'll use it to darken up the neck which is ghostly white and also as a base for minwax poly wipe top coat. Shellac will go under or above any finish I'm told, which is very remarkable considering it is only beetle poo! :twisted:

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been using shellac on a few things through the week by hand/rag... using it as a grain filler/sealer... loading it up sanding it off... yellow fingers...

I think the more you use it... you start to get the hang of applying it... and mixing tints to it... blending edge lines in... it's quick...

I'm never sure what's the best all round finish to use over the top... for guitars...?

8. Guitar novice

I think ive seen that ubeat shellac for sale in carbatec

Its in the flake form and luquid form. What did you ho with Dave?

Trev, the more i read the better it sounds. Ive heard guys use it to act as a wash coat when they sand other parts of the guitar so that dust doesn't penetrate the grain. Ive also heard of guys using it over the rosette and binding chanel before cutting to Gove a cleaner cut.

Next guitar I'll try french polishing.

Matthew

9. Davecam48

Gidday Trev! Matt I use the liquid stuff. Just make sure you give it a good shake before you use it every time. Its cool and dry here so when I rubbed a few coats on this afternoon it dried in about 30 secs. Going to tint some tomorrow and darken the neck. U-beauts tints are fantastic. When my shellac bottle runs out I'm going to try their new Aussie Oil. Sounds good!

DC

10. trev333

I was still rubbing it on at 10PM last night... and through the arvo... it was kinda warm here with northerlies.. before the cool winds came in yesterday...
    even this arvo the wind dropped off and I did some more....

I just kept going while it was warm....

11. Guitar novice

Hi Trev,

I just saw this on youtube. This could be helpful.

I don't think I have time to french polish this guitar but i'm keen to see how you guys go.

Cheers

Matthew

12. Davecam48

I noticed that Guitarbuilder's (Marty) build thread has been closed!!!! Is this a mistake?

He has signed it off with "see you next year" Anyone have info regarding? I hope he hasn't closed off here, his builds are so well done with great instruction, it would be a shame to pull the pin now.

DC

13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

That's really weird. Not sure why he would shut down now. Hopefully everything is okay. His build threads are so great.

14. Davecam48

more stuff!

Haven't posted any progress shots lately because there hasn't been much so here goes. It became time to glue the neck to the body so I glued a few ivory scraps around the neck socket so I can now say the neck is "triple bound", that should add some value;). After about 30 hrs clamped to the bench I checked it and seems to be solid enough, we'll find out more when it comes to "string up" time.
    Started to shape the heel block and it was moving too much so made a very scientific guitar holding device (pat pending) which is a scrap of wood with a hole and a scrap of carpet and a bolt through the bench dog hole. That works a treat, so more sanding and wood dust.

Just have to figure out how to cut the pu cavities now and where to put everything else. I think this will not have a volume or tone control as I usually leave that up to the amp, we'll see how mushroom there is! :rolleyes:

Some pics for you're listening and dancing pleasure!!

DC

Attached Files:

15. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

You mean to say that you've got such big cavities, and no controls to put in? :D

I must say that it really took a while for me to appreciate your concept, but now it's grown on me. Especially loving the headstock and 0 fret

16. Davecam48

Bridge ..........string retainers

Quite some time ago ( probably a year), in anticipation of a build like this I began experimenting with making individual string retainer/ bridge units. I made a few different types and styles, using my pin router and worked them out of aluminium bar using basically wood working bits etc. These are a set I have sort of half finished and they are presently temporarily fixed in place ( one screw only) to check viability and operation etc. I stringed them up last night and tuned to pitch as a trial. They seem to operate well and I was fairly quickly able to set and intonate them for a trial.

They are however like most stuff I do, only half finished and they really need a good buff on the rag wheel. I have since been able to source some small metal milling bits so if I build more in the future hopefully they will look nicer. I was going to stagger them the -3degrees to match the fret angle but decided I'd try them straight, as they were designed with a reasonable amount of travel for such a situation. The string rollers are just old brass string ferrules and are pinned on a bike spoke which happily is the perfect size of the ferrule holes. Some pics.

DC

Attached Files:

17. Davecam48

A bit more

Getting to the point where I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel....let's just hope it's not a burglar's torch. Cut two cavities for the pickups, using some twin blade humbuckers which are about the same size as a normal Strat style PU. I have used them before and they seem to work OK. Made a jig for cutting the cavity for switches etc. and cut it about 1" deep, hope I can fit in the stuff that has to go in there. We'll have to see.

Some pics.

DC

Attached Files:

18. Davecam48

Today I managed to get a bit of the stuff that makes me nervous done. I made a pin router template for the control cavity rout and then cut out the actual router guide, double sided taped it down in the correct place, and took to it with a bearing guided bit and took it down 1" and then had to cut an internal slot from inside that to allow a 5 way switch to fit. Lots of internal scraping to get it to where the switch will fit , close but not yet just right. Tomorrow is another day. When routing the cavity the router slipped ( due to my inattention) and caused a ding right on the top. I patched it with two pack resin and rosewood dust, but it won't be seen an way but needed the wall smooth to rout the internal switch slot.
    The hole you can see in the photo is the bridge PU cavity which provides cable access for the wiring process. All I have to do is figure out how to drill a hole (90mm) through the body to neck pu. I have drilled a 3mm hole where I want it to be using a modified bike spoke which bends, but need about a 4-5mm hole for the front pu wire......Have to sleep on that one!

Getting to the point where I wish I could just shut the shed and go fishing. When you get old, everything seems to go quicker except guitar building. Some ordinary pics for ya!

DC

Attached Files:

19. trev333

Dave... welding rods with a spade bit end make good long drills..... and they flex while you drill to control the angle.... or weld a drill bit stub onto one....

a few belts with a hammer on your tow ball/vise will flatten a 3.2 rod to a 4+mm hole.... file/sharpen the end/edges... drill away.... :)

on a tele I drill diagonal hole ..through the neck pocket.. through the corner of the neck pu rout and into the control cavity... then put a dowel plug in the neck pocket / trim the ends after the glue dries,,, :)

Attached Files:

20. Davecam48

Thanks Trev, I have used the old welding rod trick before and it worked well enough. I had planned doing it that way but ran out of daylight today. The bike spoke hole is there for the next one to follow hopefully. I don't know if I'll have enough room in the control cavity for all the stuff I wanted to put in there. :( :D

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.