1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Davecam48"s Hollocaster

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Davecam48, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Neck

The last few days have been based around the neck. First I flattened the back using a fairly wide square cut router bit on the pin router. The neck was stuck FB down to a bit of MDF and the headstock end raised by 3mm to give me a 3mm taper head to heel. The head stock roughly levelled the same way to close to 15mm. I use the facet method, with my pin router unit hand held with a long, very rough ( rougher than Kwerk's head!) burr, I proceed to try to keep within the confines of the lines on the back.

This will be a trapezoidal shape which I like, so really only two facets to cut, but scary just the same, and messy! Needless to say lots of sanding to follow but that's ok. To get to the desired shape I use three different grades of paper and some flat sanding plates as well as some flat and round dense foam sanding shapers to get the curves and blend it all together.

Some pics to follow for you're listening and dancing pleasure.

Apologies to Kwerk for the above observation......but he knew he could never have missed out completely! :twisted:

Attached Files:

2. Davecam48

More necking!

I have the neck worked close to what I want and now need the fret board attached to be able to do some other things before I attach it to the body. So.......more exciting pictures of clamps!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Lets hope my two little positioning brads don't move or there could be a whole lot of cursing going on. Hmm, nearly a good song title!

Anyway two rivetingly exciting pics of clamps for your entertainment or not!

DC

Attached Files:

3. Davecam48

Neck again

Not a great flurry of enthusiasm the past few days, have had visitors from interstate, but managed to do some more on the neck. The FB glue up went ok and didn't move, so my little brads did their job well. Rough cut and then routed the FB overhang to the neck sides and fitted the frets and squared the ends. I wiped a bit of denatured alcohol (Metho to the Aussies) on the FB/HS transition to look at the colour contrasts, should be ok I think, but hard to tell as the wind was blowing a bit and it evaporated almost before I could click the camera. The darker line between FB and HS was the old super glue and fine sawdust trick but I'd have liked it a bit darker but shouldn't hurt as it is. Shall try to do a level and crown tomorrow, so wish me luck, that is the part I dislike the most! Some pics for your listening and dancing pleasure!

DC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  4. Davecam48

Protocaster

Some weeks ago in anticipation of this GSM Build Challenge, I quickly put together some templates and ideas I've been hatching for a while and built the "Protocaster" which is the plain pine beast on the left. The unit on the right is the "Hollocaster" unit for the challenge. I liked the internal body shape of the prototype but I don't think it is big enough to accommodate two humbuckers properly, but it may just become a mean little rock unit with just a bridge pickup, but I need to reorganise my w'shop (toss out a lot of rubbish and tidy up) before that and do I really need another guitar anyway. I hardly ever play at all these days apart from an occasional noodle on my Crusader acoustic.

My playing is so bad I think I might have to pay T.E. to come and do the video. :oops:

Attached Files:

5. Davecam48

Little bit each day

Continuing the neck in small increments. Yesterday levelled and crowned, and then polished the frets using an elcheapo Dremel type unit with a felt wheel and some polishing compound.

THEN installed the fret markers, big mistake! Would have been a lot easier to do it before the frets went in! Getting older and more forgetful! Too bad so sad! Will do some more on the neck when I get back from taking SWMBO to the Sunday markets. I thought about going fishing but it's the middle of winter here and is currently 20C here @ 9am, that's freezing for us! Some pics.

DC

Attached Files:

6. Davecam48

More necking.

Not a lot of progress the past few days, had friends from interstate and life gets in the way at times as well. Went fishing yesterday and caught three large bream, a bit of a letdown compared to the 10 we caught last week. Going to take the friends out fishing tomorrow as they go home Friday. Let's hope we get some.

Started the neck bind today. This will be a double bound neck with nibs. I have done one of these before (prototype neck for this build) and it is the smoothest neck I have ever felt as far as fret ends go. It is just so smoove!:lol: A few days ago put together a small jig which consists of a little block of wood and a razor blade. This was to cut a 2mm wide length of black binding to go under the ivory top bind for a bit of separation against the Bunya neck. See you here in a few days, depending on the weather.

DC

Some pics for ya!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a fan of nibs.

8. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

This is so cool. I love that you did a proto.

9. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Redgum fingerboard? Nice mate

10. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

'Yer building necked! Watch out with the glue and yer "nibs" - could give binding a whole different context :lol:

Amazing work Dave! Lots of great ideas there!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Wow, this is looking good!! Love the binding on the fret board. Can't wait to see how you do the nibs.

12. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Really like the look of the fretboard.

I'm all eyes as well on how to do the nibs on the fretboard.

My music teacher wants to build an SG so this could be useful for that build.

Matthew

13. Davecam48

The nibs have been done late yesterday afternoon Matt. Unfortunately just as I started the process one of the damn clamps slipped and I had a slight over cut onto the f.b. just before the first fret which won't effect the playability but it did cut too deep on the binding so it will look a bit strange, but as Ned Kelly said "such is life." After the boo boo I was so p---ed off I didn't take any pix. The e string side is ok but the E string top which is visible to the player is a bit off. Just have to suck it up I guess!

Try to get some pix later and do a small tutorial on "nibbing" (it's not hard!)

Going to cut some pick-up rings this afternoon I hope.

DC

14. Davecam48

Ring a ding ding!

Nothing serious today folks apart from up town for a few hours, groceries and visited an old Aunt who had a knee joint replaced about 3 weeks ago, and sourced a switch for my elcheapo Dremel look alike which went toes up a couple of days ago.
    This afternoon managed to make a quickie template for a pu ring and halved a scrap of red gum from the fretboard remains and chopped out a pair of rings. Gave the RG a coat of metho to show the colour a bit and lightly sanded and shaped a bit. They may be just a touch wide but there is a bit of meat on the sides to play with if necessary. They will certainly have to be thinned down a bit as they are now higher than the expected string height.

Anyone here ever done a PU height adjustment from the guitar back?? Just thinking! Any major problems apart from long enough screws?

Some pics for ya. ;)

DC

Attached Files:

15. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

bugger. Hopefully when you look at it again it won't be as bad as you remember.

Normally these things are more noticeable to the guy that made it than anyone else.

16. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Not sure if I'm understanding it right, but you could try melting some binding cut-offs or scrapings in some acetone and using it as filler for the cut on the binding. Lightly scrape afterwards ... best to test on scrap to see how noticeable it is. All the best otherwise - lots to learn from your threads as ever. Cheers

17. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice work Dave - really like the headstock design!

18. Davecam48

Thanks for the kind thoughts guys. It is probably not too bad, but when I built the proto neck it all went so well and fast first time perfect. This time was just the same except I probably went too lightly when doing up the clamp not wanting to mark the "real" neck. I shall make a mock up of the process for you tomorrow and take some pix.

DC

19. Davecam48

His Nibs

The last few days have been spent "adjusting" his nibs. Plastic binding is easy to sand/scrape off but impossible (in my experience) to put back on so it looks like it's never been scraped off. :confused:

Shaping the nibs has been a slow, careful process in the hope that I don't stuff it up too much. Weapons of choice have been razor blades and 320 grit sandpaper and a variety of foam pads and paddle pop sticks.
    I managed to put in some dots on the E side and give the binding an initial rubbing with some 320, but will polish further when the fret board gets a bit more Tru Oil. Just going for a low sheen finish on the FB, don't like 'em shiny. Some nib pics.

Attached Files:

20. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Dave,
    That looks great but like fiddly work. You're a patient man. I think I remember James (MuzikP) saying something about routing the bulk of it off with a top bearing pattern bit on one of his builds. Could be wrong.
    Rob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.