1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Davecam48"s Hollocaster

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Davecam48, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hey Dave,
    You'll never guess who just showed up and claims to know a thing or two about scarfs! I knew you'd love his help. Jup was even kind enough to buy his air fare. Isn't that great!
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1434907991.656957.jpg
    Rob

2. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Check my update Dave. Then you will see why I couldnt make the scarf joint any other way :D

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nuk-nuk-nuk-nuk. Wyyyy, you, I outta. . . .!

[​IMG]

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

While I think we can all agree, it is indeed a very good wall, but is it really a GREAT wall??

5. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's Pete my best mate George's brother!!!! George has been very worried, Pete was supposed to be here days ago. Trust Jupiter to send him to the wrong place............too much Saki Jup.

Here's a pic of George on the footpath waiting for his little brother, he's very worried about Pete and his strange habit of dressing up in women's clothes.

DC

Attached Files:

6. Davecam48

Progress

A small modicum of progress today! First up I radiused my Red Gum fret board Which I cut yesterday and did some grain fill on it with shellac, nothing serious only about 3 coats so far. I then marked my neck where I would like the joins and neck taper etc. and then marked off the positions of the truss rods (plural)

This machine will have two carbon fibre anti-bend rods inserted in the neck directly below the fret board. I used to use 10 x 10 mm solid steel bar, but my kerfed type construction made bodies so light they tended to dive a bit, so have changed to CF which is lighter and just as effective. There shall be a bit of a twist later but we'll get to that. Completed the first channel and will do no2 in the morning. Some pix for your perusal!

Attached Files:

7. Barncaster

Looks great Dave! And tell George not to worry about Pete. He's always been a bit on the wild side.....

8. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

..aaand yet another thread I've filed the permalink in the "How To Do Something The Right Way" folder, scarf joint section. You guys are relentlessly informative.

9. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

^+1 on this

looking really good!

10. Davecam48

Neck

Got a little progress today on the neck. As to a previous post, I am using 2 x carbon fibre rods on this neck for lightness and rigidity. To add some extra stiffness, I am inserting some 8mm dowel down each piece. The rods measure 10mm x 10mm OD with a round centre of 8mm, which was lucky because 8mm dowel here is a standard size. The fit of the dowel inside is a very good tight fit, and I've done the same previously with round cf tubing where the 8mm interior was more like 7 or 8mm, but I fitted the dowel pushing some jute twine through with it which makes it a tight fit, but these square rods are from a different supplier and the dowel goes in with super glue liberally applied as it goes down the tube.

The last few inches required a few good whacks as the glue was starting to work at that point.

The channels are exactly 10mm wide x 10.8 mm deep to allow a light sanding before the board goes on. I gave it a few smears of epoxy on the bottom of the channel which should be enough to make it permanent after the board is epoxied on as well. There is no slop in either rod, which is how it should be. ;)

Some pix for your listening and dancing pleasure!

DC

Attached Files:

11. Daverius

Daverius Tele-Meister

Dave,

What's the purpose of adding the dowels inside the carbon rails?

Does that significantly change the stiffness?

-Dave

12. Davecam48

c.f. rods

I have never tested the rods to destruction, but I'm fairly strong in the arms and hands and cannot get a bend in the rods either way. A few years ago I was in a "Hobby Shop" to buy some round tubing which I was using at the time and there happened to be a Rep. from the company that supplied it in store that day. We got talking and he suggested a dowel through the centre added a lot extra rigidity. For a few ounces extra weight I thought it couldn't hurt. I have done it since then without the dowel (when I forgot to put it in) (( getting old and forgetful!)) and it didn't make any difference and have had no problems with that neck at all.

I think it's called insurance. ;)

13. Davecam48

fretting

Had a slow start today so never got near the saw-dust factory until the afternoon. Today's program was to slot the fret board, so attached the multi-jig height extender ( a bit of wood) and put some masking tape on the centre block and marked two pencil lines on it, one @90degrees and one @-3degrees.
    This neck will have an oblique fret set and a zero fret and a 25.5" scale so it probably will look a bit funny, but I did a proto-type a couple of months ago and it felt quite comfortable. These old fingers are getting to the point where they don't bend as well as they used to. Some pix follow ......nothing startling but shows I'm still plugging away.

Attached Files:

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Looking good Dave!!!

15. martin_smith

martin_smith Tele-Meister

Some nice looking local timbers there. I really need to start looking at the local stuff more - not only easier to get hold of than the "traditional" guitar timbers, most of them look fantastic.

Intrigued by the oblique frets, do you notice much difference when playing? Where did you get the idea from?

16. Barncaster

Very interesting looking fretboard. Go local!

17. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Holic

Very nice Dave!

18. Davecam48

Hi Martin sorry to not reply yesterday, went fishing, complete waste of time! Bloody toad fish kept biting off the hooks and lines.
    Re the local timbers, where you are there should be an abundant supply of jarrah which I'd love to get on to. it makes excellent fret boards and sands to an almost gloss finish without a finish. Some of the desert timbers are also beautiful but are prone to cracking and splitting even after being dried out for years. The oblique FB is an idea I've had for quite a while and yet to incorporate into a working guitar, but have built a prototype neck and it feels natural when "air guitaring" it. :p My knuckles and finger bones are always stiff, and all "crack" whenever I squeeze anything too hard etc. and I'm a very poor player anyway and need all the help I can get!

Even the common fence-post red and blue gums are great timber. The FB for this build is red-gum.

DC

19. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Holic

That is a big indicator Dave - when puffer/toad fish are around that is my signal to pack it in and move along - as well as Port Jackson sharks ... I don't think I have ever caught anything good when they show their ugly faces! :)

20. Davecam48

A bit more

As the title suggests got a bit more done today. I trimmed the headstock veneer and did a round-over on it, as well as let the termites loose to chew out the middle section, well we have to keep it in the style of the body don't we?

As this is to be a set neck and being me, I'm trying a different approach by doing a multi-tenon joint. Let's hope its going to work! ;)

Better find some machine heads tonight to see if they'll fit on the headstock. Should have thought of that before, but I think they'll be right.

Some pix of the proceedings follow.

DC

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.