1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

COMPLETED : Davecam48"s Hollocaster

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by Davecam48, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Gotta finish first. I usually TO or Minwax wipe-on varnish and have done some shellac as well. Try to avoid lacquer and enamels etc. as Dulux the paint God hates me!!!! :cry:

DC

2. Davecam48

Couldn't wait any longer, the silicon should be OK now! Just did a calibration on the drum to top alignment and did a test sanding on a piece of blackbean and a piece of redgum fretboard size and there was .04mm difference between left and right and top to bottom so that's pretty close to ok for the moment.

DC

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

LOL...
    What's an electric Arhu?

4. Davecam48

The venerable Arhu is a two stringed instrument with a bow in between the strings and the "neck" rests on a small drum with a snakeskin top. I almost bought one to annoy my neighbours with , but I don't hate them enough.....................yet!!!!

There are electric banjos and I rate them both about the same when played badly!!!!:twisted:

DC

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Way cool mate! Glad to see you out of China and doing another build.It looks great! :)

6. Davecam48

Hey Dave I was hoping to see you in this year :(

How are things going mate?

DC

7. Davecam48

Cutting the scarf joint

Got a little done yesterday and this morning. Cut and trued the scarf joint for the head stock, and trimmed the cut out body pieces to use as ears to widen the headstock.

More exciting pics of clamps. :lol:

Attached Files:

8. Davecam48

Headstock

Getting to the part I dislike the most........The neck! Or as Queen Elizabeth says "Neckus Horrobilis )
    Anyway the neck is also Bunya pine cut from alongside where the body was cut from the slab, and the same thickness which is too thick but hopefully will work out ok.

Did the scarf joint, 15degrees and glued on the ears and cut to shape roughly.

Had some blackbean left from the body so sanded some scrap down to 4.6mm using the drum sander with the new "flat" table which I should have used when I built it, but working on the cheap, better late than never.

Next to get done while glue is drying is a fret board! I was tossing up whether to use blackbean as well but decided I need a contrast, so I might do a red gum, ....the red should go nicely with the black bean.

OK some pix for your listening and dancing pleasure!

Attached Files:

9. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Catching up on some of the builds.

That is looking first class!

10. Davecam48

It's looking like a POS at the moment, but hopefully will improve in the next few days.

DC

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Cool looking build Dave!

12. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Glad to see I am not the only one doing a scarf joint. Yours looks good. I am just about to do that for the first time

13. Davecam48

Hi Michael there are a few different ways to do a scarf joint, but I've found this method to be good and strong. I make the neck blank longer than the total neck and headstock combined length and cut off the headstock end and tape to the neck end and sand to a perfectly flat surface. When you do this make sure that the sanded line you get at the top of the headstock section is at right angles to the neck centre line otherwise when you glue up you'll have a gap on one side which you have to then sand away which makes you lose length on the neck sections. I then glue ears to each side of the headstock section using the same material if possible and then I try to fit a decent thickness veneer over the top for extra strength.

Make sure the head stock section is placed under the neck so the machine heads are pulling the HS up onto the neck section.

If you can get enough length it's also a good idea to put a couple of machine heads through the scarf joint for extra strength.

The whole process is quite fast, but make yourself a solid cutting jig to the desired angle, and ALWAYS FIX THE BLANK TO IT USING A CENTRE LINE PARALLEL TO THE BASE OF THE BANDSAW!

Regards DC

14. Mbechmann

I build a jig for making sure the joint is even. I have a design in mind where things may go wrong big time :D It does make me nervous.

By the way, the design I am using is this one.

Attached Files:

15. Davecam48

strong scarf joint

Sorry to say but if you place the headstock on top of the neck, the machine heads are all attached to the single plate which in my opinion puts more stress on the glue joint. Have a look at the diagram, that's how I always do it and never had a failure. In your diagram, the fret board on the top is usually thin and offers less support than the method I use. From memory I think the pull on the headstock when strung and tuned is around 100 -120 lbs of strain. In addition to the scarf joint itself I put "ears" down each side and a veneer on the top of about 4mm, which hides the join as well as adding more strength. You can see how there is room to mount machine heads through both sections of the join and this configuration pulls the lower plate onto the glue line and not away from it.

Either way takes the same amount of time but IMO this is the stronger option.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  16. Mbechmann

I do see your point. It just doesnt fit the design :lol:. The extra design in mine is the set neck detail with the fingerboard actually being 2 fingerboards. That adds strength to it. On top of that, I am considering adding 2 strips as well.

17. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

My notes also refer to putting the headstock under the neck as Dave has it. My jig seemed to work ok for the getting the scarf angle but when it comes to cleaning it up by sanding I seem to get off course..

Cheers

Matthew

18. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

I do it like Dave, for several reasons. Though you do end up with a seam on the back of the headstock, I find it less distasteful (to my taste of course!) than a seam under the third fret. It can also be covered by a back veneer if it's too irksome. Another bonus is the extra and permanent clamping pressure on the joint provided by the tuners. There's also likely to be more glue area on the finished headstock than on the finished neck.

19. Davecam48

When I have cut off the headstock I tape it to the neck section and sand both pieces together. I have a bench-top sanding block 180 grit one side and 240 on the other. It's big enough to sand the full length every stroke. I start with 180 and watch the line at the top, if it is angled apply the sanding block more to the lower side of the sanding line until it levels out. I also pencil the full sanding face a few times during, just to make sure I'm sanding flat and even. A few strokes at 240 grit after it's right is all you need to glue up.

The most important thing is to have an accurate centre line drawn all pieces and ensure all the centres are correct when you sand the joint.

The operation should only take 10-15 mins, it's not difficult.

Don't try to sand each piece individually, do them together and they have to be right.

Pics below are from 2 days ago on the neck for this build.

Attached Files:

20. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

:lol: Awesome! I'm psyched to see what ya do with this baby.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.