Completed a couple from FuzzDog

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
Another FuzzD build on the way, their version of a dual Rangemaster, silicon and germanium:
View attachment 740183

NOS Motorola BC109 and a Mullard mil-spec CV7112/OC140, the 109 is just over 100 hFE, the germanium is just under. The original schematic calls for a 2N2222A, though even my older can types from the 1980's are well over 150 hFE, I used the last low gain one I had in a Naga Viper build.

Decal is drying again, I've had a heck of a time with this one, ruined 5 decals so far, that never happens especially with a simple clear one like this.
View attachment 740185

That’s similar to the Strangemaster I built a while back. I liked the Silicon side more than the Germanium side. I only used it with my single coil Strats Though. I socketed the transistors so I really should try different ones in it.

7814BEF7-D2C1-4EBB-AF14-A8AB103D91EB.jpeg 98561CF2-4CC2-4104-AB9E-9C3C5E58A3EF.jpeg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I knew I saw one here before!
I think I used one of those Sylvania 2N229's in a Darlington style Rangemaster from Small Bear too.

Decal lacquer is drying now, not perfect (as usual) but close enough for DIY rock-n-roll pedals :D

Grenville

Tele-Meister
I bought a used Skreddy Lunar Module a few months ago to replace one I'd sold a year earlier.

For a small additional fee the seller threw in a Fuzzdog Pitbull, modified silicon Tone Bender sort of thing and it's killer, and went straight onto my jam board.

I'm a fan!

FjGHczc.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Just finished up wiring the dual Rangemaster:
DualRangeGuts.JPG DualRangeTop.JPG
There's the tiniest bit of more gain on the silicon side, which I would expect from measuring both transistor's hFE, the BC109 was a bit over a hundred, the CV7112 just under 80 with low leakage. Otherwise I don't hear a lot of difference between the two. Cool, simple build, worth trying different NPN transistor types for fun.

This one joins Ol' Red (BYOC, NOS Motorola OC44 germanium) and Old Gold (Aion, NOS Mullard saucer style OC44).

OldGoldandOlRed.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Just fired up this FuzzDog Xotic RC Boost clone, lots of gain and very clean turned up. Now I need to make/find a drill template, and order more parts!
RC Boost circuit.jpg

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
I've been looking at FuzzDog kits recently. I really fancy trying the Li'l Louis Fender Tweed style pedal, however I'm unsure as to how easy/difficult they are to build. Im no novice with a soldering iron, i can rewire a guitar, fit new pick ups etc but im unsure how this would go.

Any tips on which would be a good first build? Would the li'l Louis be an achievable first build?

Last edited:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I've been looking at FuzzDog kits recently. I really fancy trying the Li'l Louis Fender Tweed style pedal, however I'm unsure as to how easy/difficult they are to build. Im no novice with a soldering iron, i can rewire a guitar, fit new pick ups etc but im unsure how this would go.

Any tips on which would be a good first build? Would the li'l Louis be an achievable first build?

If I remember correctly that is a clone of the Lovepedal Les Lius, which is itself a modified Electra distortion. The Electra is a fairly simple circuit so you should have no trouble in my opinion. Go for it!

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
If I remember correctly that is a clone of the Lovepedal Les Lius, which is itself a modified Electra distortion. The Electra is a fairly simple circuit so you should have no trouble in my opinion. Go for it!

Thanks for the advice, think i'll get Christmas out of the way and have a pop at one in the new year.

Cheers.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I might have enough switches and pots to do these two before another parts order....fingers crossed lol PCBs_Dec_2020.jpg

FuzzDog "Yellow Purl" overdrive, Rullywow "Serpent Boost".

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I picked this signal generator up for audio troubleshooting awhile back with a Small Bear order and finally put it together last night. Not exactly 1kHz but close enough for rock-n-roll! I think it was a whole 5 bucks, well worth it though I'm sure it could be perf/veroboarded pretty quickly, it's just a 555 timer circuit.

velleman signal generator.jpg

Dracuula44

TDPRI Member
Hi Guys

I've neve posted on here before but was looking for some feedback on these fuzzdog kits. I was going to buy an exotic ep boost and then seen the fuzzdog clone kit.

My question is, do they actually sound good? Its hard to find feedback apart from the actual fuzzdog site. Basically I want a good boost so I dont want to spend the time building it of it doesn't sound decent?

Thanks

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Hi Guys

I've neve posted on here before but was looking for some feedback on these fuzzdog kits. I was going to buy an exotic ep boost and then seen the fuzzdog clone kit.

My question is, do they actually sound good? Its hard to find feedback apart from the actual fuzzdog site. Basically I want a good boost so I dont want to spend the time building it of it doesn't sound decent?

Thanks
They sound great, the same as the circuit they are cloning, since they are the same. I've built a lot of FuzzDog kits and boards, they are worth the time and effort.
Their 1590A size EPic Boost is in my queue for the new year, along with their Colorsound Tremolo.

Dracuula44

TDPRI Member
They sound great, the same as the circuit they are cloning, since they are the same. I've built a lot of FuzzDog kits and boards, they are worth the time and effort.
Their 1590A size EPic Boost is in my queue for the new year, along with their Colorsound Tremolo.

Thanks for the reply bud, ordered it today

Dracuula44

TDPRI Member
It looks crap compared to some most of the ones on here, but heres my first build. The ep boost.
The volume and toggles dont sit right due to my bad soldering. But it works and sounds great 👍
20220108_191418.jpg
20220108_203113.jpg

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Started stuffing some Fuzz Pup boards to see what parts I need.

Fuzz_pups_Tremolo_EP_Boost.jpg

The Colorsound Tremolo needs a C100K 9mm pot for speed control, and I am short one 2N5088 darn it. I need the DIP switch for the EP Boost, sooo, the waiting begins. No one has C100K pots in 9mm except Small Bear, and they're transferring ownership so it'll be awhile. I could use a linear for speed I suppose, but since the enclosures won't get decaled until April there's no rush!

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Tight fit, I decided to use a Madbean template (single knob Smoothie) for the EP Boost. I like the "Direct Connect" board connection using a header strip, the main PCB fits just under the switch PCB.
ep boost construction.jpg

Reactions: BB