Completed a couple from FuzzDog

decibel

Tele-Meister
Crap. It looks like I was supposed to put the ic1 inside that thing?

But if you look at the image on the site for this pedal, it doesn't look like it's in that thing (whatever it is!), and there is no mention of it in the instructions. Check out the image:
https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/4-Track_Fuzz/p847124_17570037.aspx

It looks like the ic1 is on the board just like I mounted it; not in that encasement.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks.
I hate to bug you once more, but what is this part? It was with the Ic1, on the opposite side of it with foam in between. I see nothing on the diagram for a use for this.
https://i.imgur.com/D1J0SiW.jpg

Here is the board: https://i.imgur.com/v7OGXVe.jpg
Did I miss something?

Thank you!
That is an 8 pin DIP socket. Since you already soldered in the chip and it works, that's fine, but DIP (dual inline pin) sockets also prevent overheating ICs when soldering. Solder in the socket, then pop in the chip. Want to try a different part (same type, single op-amp, dual op-amp etc)? Sockets allow experimentation. I use them all the time.

decibel

Tele-Meister
That is an 8 pin DIP socket. Since you already soldered in the chip and it works, that's fine, but DIP (dual inline pin) sockets also prevent overheating ICs when soldering. Solder in the socket, then pop in the chip. Want to try a different part (same type, single op-amp, dual op-amp etc)? Sockets allow experimentation. I use them all the time.

Thanks. I actually don't know if it works yet (continuity test worked), as I'm still building the rest. Would not using that part cause the pedal to overheat or otherwise not work? I guess I could always unsolder that chip and put it in the DIP socket? If it will work without doing that and work safely I won't. Thanks!

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
It's fine the way it is, desoldering it runs the risk of damage to the chip and the board. Plus the pins won't fit as well in the socket cause you won't get all the solder off.
Sockets are great for experimenters, but if you never intend on trying different types of chips you don't need it.

decibel

Tele-Meister
It's fine the way it is, desoldering it runs the risk of damage to the chip and the board. Plus the pins won't fit as well in the socket cause you won't get all the solder off.
Sockets are great for experimenters, but if you never intend on trying different types of chips you don't need it.

Awesome thanks so much

decibel

Tele-Meister
I completed my first one. It worked on the first try. There's just one issue -- it seems a bit noisy when the gain is all the way up.

I was wondering if I grounded something wrong. Can you guys have a look? The most obvious might be the power supply input jack. It has 3 lugs. 2 short and 1 longer. I wasn't sure which one was ground the longer or shorter one. The instructions didn't say.

I messed up the paint a bit and got some bubbling (not sure why?)... Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I can't tell from your pic, but FuzzDog has another instruction sheet for their switch breakout boards, I use it all the time.

http://pedalparts.co.uk/docs/3PDTDC.pdf

Their 3PDT boards are my favorite, along with the ones that Rullywow has. I've tried a lot of them, those two take up less space and are more intuitive than others I've used from GuitarPCB, etc.

I haven't built that fuzz so I can't say exactly why it may be noisy, maybe someone else here has.

Your paint issue is why I switched to powder coated boxes. Aluminum is tricky, the pedals that I started this thread with gave me a hard time too. I repainted the Red Llama box twice before I was happy, then I had trouble with the clear coat (Krylon in that case) too. I hand buffed that darn thing for hours, though it finally did come out OK.

Last edited:

decibel

Tele-Meister
Thanks, Zippo. I spoke with the Fuzzdog guy, and he said any pedal will create noise when the treble or gain are cranked, and that's when I am hearing the noise. If I dial them back to 7 or 8 I don't hear it. So I'm guessing this is normal.

Regarding the paint: what is a bummer is after the 4th coat things looked perfect. I tried putting on a few more, and that's when this began to happen. I wonder if I didn't let it dry enough? That's all I could figure. Or the force of the aerosol itself was moving the paint around (i.e. maybe i was too close so the pressure moved the paint).

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
What kind of paint did you use? The ones I've had problems with have been enamels, and they do take a long time to dry. I switched to Testor's model lacquer and had good results for a few, then a couple not so good. That's when I changed clear to Rustoleum lacquer for the top coat, which works great over decals on powder coated boxes. I've still made mistakes, but I figure nothing's gonna be perfect!
The best part of this hobby is firing it up for the first time and it sounds great :) Looks wise no one will ever think my DIY jobs are pro, but they sound good.

MatchlessMan

Tele-Holic
I've just finished a Fuzzdog clone of the EHX Big Muff Pi, Ram's Head (violet script) version. I used a slightly larger box so I can fit a battery if I want. I made a proper mess of the paint job, so in the end I took all the paint off with wire wool and went for bare metal. The sound is more like a distortion pedal than a fuzz (not surprising when you look at the circuit). I didn't care for it at first but it has grown on me.

xYu8ajY.jpg
ZnSJSee.jpg

nicholaspaul

Tele-Meister
There are some great looking pedals here! I love the decals. I hand draw my boxes with Posca Pens. I like the hand-drawn vibe. Plus I'm a graphic designer by day, so the last thing I want to do at night is fuss around with graphics and printers! It's like doing design for yourself - it always takes longer because you are your own worst client. 57 hours later, and I'd still be working on the third revision... I prefer doing stuff by hand anyway!

nicholaspaul

Tele-Meister
I've just finished a Fuzzdog clone of the EHX Big Muff Pi, Ram's Head (violet script) version. I used a slightly larger box so I can fit a battery if I want. I made a proper mess of the paint job, so in the end I took all the paint off with wire wool and went for bare metal. The sound is more like a distortion pedal than a fuzz (not surprising when you look at the circuit). I didn't care for it at first but it has grown on me.

xYu8ajY.jpg
ZnSJSee.jpg
So how’s it sound? I’m thinking of doing this next.

MatchlessMan

Tele-Holic
So how’s it sound? I’m thinking of doing this next.

I have Fuzz Face and Tone Bender clones, which are proper FUZZ boxes. Although the Big Muff is powered by transistors it uses diode pairs to generate distortion in a way that has more in common with the likes of the DS1 and DOD 250. That said, it’s a great sound that lends itself well to Gilmour-style leads. It’s often described as mid-scooped but it’s certainly not nu-metal scoopy.

nicholaspaul

Tele-Meister
I have Fuzz Face and Tone Bender clones, which are proper FUZZ boxes. Although the Big Muff is powered by transistors it uses diode pairs to generate distortion in a way that has more in common with the likes of the DS1 and DOD 250. That said, it’s a great sound that lends itself well to Gilmour-style leads. It’s often described as mid-scooped but it’s certainly not nu-metal scoopy.

Gilmour, you say? I think you just made up my mind!

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Building Fuzz Dog's version of the Run Off Groove Tonemender:

IMG_1085.jpg
Not a complicated build but a few out of the ordinary value parts.

Time to drill the box so I can solder the pots and switch. Looking forward to this one!

awasson

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice pedal. I was just looking at some videos of it. I really like clean preamps like that. It looks even more flexible that the Vertex Steel String. I might need to build that.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Another FuzzD build on the way, their version of a dual Rangemaster, silicon and germanium:
IMG_1138.JPG

NOS Motorola BC109 and a Mullard mil-spec CV7112/OC140, the 109 is just over 100 hFE, the germanium is just under. The original schematic calls for a 2N2222A, though even my older can types from the 1980's are well over 150 hFE, I used the last low gain one I had in a Naga Viper build.

Decal is drying again, I've had a heck of a time with this one, ruined 5 decals so far, that never happens especially with a simple clear one like this.
IMG_1139.JPG