COMPLETED -- $100 Telecaster Challenge, Lowecaster!

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Colt W. Knight, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teletwin

teletwin Tele-Meister

All right! Looks good so far. I'm glad to see the progress you have made. It looks as though I could walk down the road and pet Zeb.

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Zeb likes to be scratched, and he welcomes all visitors. I am over in South Charleston if you ever want to bring the wife and kids by to visit the horses.

3. Colt W. Knight

At this point, I know what ya'll are saying," You can't use a mild steel bar in a neck, won't that just kill the tone?" No, no it won't, and I will tell you why. I covered it with a thin coat of nitro, so now the inert truss rod will be allowed to breath in its little neck sarcophagus.
    [​IMG]
    Breathing is the key to good tone, but I think you all know that already. ;)

Then cut the fingerboard into a workable size.
    [​IMG]

4. Colt W. Knight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Colt W. Knight

Then I need to glue up the neck and finger board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I preach about the necessity of clamps to all new wood workers, and as you can see, I have a fair collection. But… not nearly enough yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, I will let that sit in the sunlight on top of my shed to dry. When you are working in the deep hollers of West Virginia, you have less direct sunlight available in a day’s time because of the mountains and thick deciduous foliage.

6. Colt W. Knight

While the neck is drying in the precious sunlight, I will go to work making that 2x8 a body blank.
    [​IMG]
    I select two section that have no knots on the edge for joining ease, and no cracks or splits. Then go to work using the mighty craftsman 19.2 volt circular saw.
    [​IMG]
    You are saying to yourself at this point, “ Well that might have cut through the 4 x3/4 maple, but there is no way it will cut up that big ole 2x8.” You are half right, I only made one cut before the battery died and I had to switch the reliable skill saw. [​IMG]
    Now I just need to go to my antique/inherited joiner, and get rid of those pesky rounded over edges.
    [​IMG]

7. Colt W. Knight

Here they are together,
    [​IMG]
    Glued,
    [​IMG]
    Clamped,
    [​IMG]
    You maybe wondering about those big honking chunks of C channel. My dad got those for me to lay on wood I laminate. Naturally, on good wood I would sand and polish that metal to a clean bright sheen, but for a 2x8, no such luck.
    [​IMG]

8. Colt W. Knight

Here are some of my essential work tools. The mighty craftsman 19.2 cordless AM/FM/ MP3/Weatherband radio.
    [​IMG]
    The Rigid 16 gallon shop vac.
    [​IMG]
    The good thing about the shaving I acquire is that they make good dry bedding for the stable.
    [​IMG]
    PT and Rocky always enjoy a good roll in fresh sawdust, but they appear to be a bit camera shy today.
    [​IMG]

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Too bad you're dayglowing this thing. You could feature a knot or two in a strategic spot!

10. Colt W. Knight

I thought about leaving it as is with the lumber stamps and all, but it needed a lot of sanding to clean up my sloppy glue job, and there are a lot of gouges and rough spots on the blank. Besides, I promised the forum a glow in the dark guitar, so a glow in the dark guitar I will deliver.

11. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Glue, scrape with a utility blade first, sand last. Also, I saw you mentioned how fast paper takes pine away.. Boy isn't that the truth?

I started using a poplar board 2' long by 3" wide I put some 120 with the sticky back to keep the pine level and only hit it briefly with the sander anymore with the pine. Get mice level pine faces and backs with this method, you use the board like a big file pretty much. The pad on the sander rides over the rings and eats the soft wood between too fast. So I learned to move away from the sander. ;)

12. Colt W. Knight

Thanks for the advice Robert.

One of the main problems I had with this particular glue job was the lumber warped long ways after cutting it away from the 2x8. So I didn't get a nice level glue job. I had to level it out(somewhat) with the ole sander. You know what, I just forgot, I have a hand planer ( Part of my mighty 19.2 craftsman series)I should have tried out. The only thing I have found any use for it so far is for trimming doors.

13. robt57

Don't rule out clamping it along the seam to force the board's to line up along the seam. I use wax paper, lay 2x4 piece on the face and back and clamp them snug, then tighten the clamps holding the pieces together and then crank the clamps along the seam on the face and back. Just remember with pine if you clamp too tight even to a block on the face or back it can dig into the pine. So use big blocks so the clamping force is distributed.

I even had on so bad I wax papered, then put 3/4" birch on both sides, [my drop top clamping boards] then 2x4s on the flat to crank the clamps and it did not leave and block marks doing it that way. Have fun!

14. Colt W. Knight

Yank these clamps off.
    [​IMG]
    Then get rid of that pesky overhang around the fingerboard.
    [​IMG]
    Setup the router to plane the peg head down.
    [​IMG]
    Working very carefully…
    [​IMG]

15. Colt W. Knight

Roughly, I have something that looks like this now.
    [​IMG]
    Switching up the bits, I put a little round over on the angle closer to where the nut will be. Then I clean it up on the old oscillating spindle sander.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I end up with something along these lines.
    [​IMG]

16. Colt W. Knight

Mark for the nut, and set the neck aside for right now.
    [​IMG]

17. robt57

[​IMG]

18. Colt W. Knight

I have lost an entire group of photos somewhere, so you will have to imagine me picking out the best place to put the routing template on the blank. Then imagine me posting pics of that particular action, and ending up at this point where I am cutting the rough shape out with a band saw. This series of pictures will be cellphone pics because I was too lazy to fetch my good camera.
    [​IMG]
    Then I use the spindle sander to bring the edge closer the line for routing.
    [​IMG]
    Then there are some missing routing photos...
    And I end up at this point...
    [​IMG]
    As you will notice, I was only able to run my pattern following bit so far along the edge. Before I got my oscillating spindle sander I would just grab a bottom bearing bit and route this little lip off. However, this is short work with the spindle sander.
    [​IMG]

19. Colt W. Knight

Now back to the neck.
    I fretted for the longest time on exactly how I was going to radius the fret board. Then I said to myself,” Self, quit your b#$%^ing, and just look it up in the Redneck wood working manual.” Well, I did that, and under making a guitar neck it said,” Git er done.” So I did just that. I started with making the radius sanding block. Again, consulting the redneck manual. I made my lines using a drywall screw, hay string, and a pencil. Cut it out to rough shape with band saw, and smoothed her up with the spindle sander.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then repeat to get a nice thick sanding block
    [​IMG]

20. Colt W. Knight

I glue the pieces together as close to square as possible, then clamp, the drill and hold the pieces together with drywall screws so I can dismiss the bulky clamps. Then true everything up with the spindle and belt sander.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That little block came out nicely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.