COMPLETED -- $100 Telecaster Challenge, Lowecaster!

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Colt W. Knight, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a sidenote

For those of you who want to know what natural light does to minwax wipe on poly over a few years of exposure, here you go...
    [​IMG]
    And...let me just thank Zeb one more time for letting me tear up his barn.
    [​IMG]
    Now we have to turn this
    [​IMG]
    into this
    [​IMG]

2. Colt W. Knight

Then onto dimensioning the lumber
    [​IMG]
    Fellows, if you own a tablesaw, I highly recommend these Rigid featherboards. They have two magnets on them that make setting them up extremely easy, much better than those old style deals that slide into the miter guage rail.

3. Colt W. Knight

Here is what the oak looks like all dimensioned and planed to thickness.
    [​IMG]
    I still need a fingerboard, and I figured the the traditional Maple would work just fine. I have a pretty big stack since my cousin who is a sawyer cut a bunch of Maple boards for me back a few years ago.
    [​IMG]
    The mighty Craftsman 19.2 volt system has no problems slicing through this 3/4" maple.
    [​IMG]
    I think the contrast of the maple and oak will look nice when the neck is completed.

[​IMG]

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Now I get all confused with the mule vs. ass vs. burro vs. hinny vs. donkey thingy..

But Why do I picture a bunch of ______________ in tent on your property when you get done making Gits outta that barn ??

5. Colt W. Knight

After I was done with this work, I decided I needed to clean up all the sawdust. I got out my 16 gallon Rigid shop vac out, and started sucking up all the shaving. Well, there was this one piece of metal, a tiny sliver that wouldn't suck up into my shop vac. I reached down and picked it up.
    [​IMG]
    Damn, I think I know where this belongs... Let me check...
    [​IMG]
    Yup, Crapola! It was a cutter blade off my relatively new Bosch Pattern following bit. I have only ever routed the edge of three pinecasters and two MDF templates with it. I am very careful with my tools, so I think someone has been messing around in Uncle Colt's workshop. Probably those freakin' gnomes. I hate those guys. Every time you try to sit down in the shed, the pointy part of there hats poke you in the rear.

6. Colt W. Knight

Donkey=Ass=Burro
    Ass is an older term, think biblical
    Donkey is the modern term we use in the USA
    Burro is used a lot more in the south west, and some like to refer to a burro as a really hairy donkey or a ferrel donkey.
    A mule is the sterile offspring of a Male(jack) donkey and a mare (female horse). A Hinny is the cross between a stud/stallion(male horse) and a female donkey(jenny).
    Lucky enough for the donkey and the miniature horses he lives with, I have a whole other stable and a few sheds for him to live in, if he becomes homeless due to the guitar building process.

7. Colt W. Knight

I have a little figuring to do on the neck size...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I assure you, those are actual figures, even though they appear crude and unintelligible.
    Now we just need to extrapolate the "figures" to the oak board, but first a centerline, well off center line, to allow for the headstock shape.
    [​IMG]

8. Colt W. Knight

That is as far as I made it today. I had to take my mother to the doctor, so I kind of dropped the project in mid stream. My mother is okay by the way, it was just a routine visit.

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Very clean work, Colt - lookin' good. Hope you make it in time, but even if not, I'd like to see the finished product. Dayglo body with oak/maple neck! Not something you see every day!

10. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Neighbors down the road from me raise miniature horses and have a small donkey. Man that little guy is loud.

11. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Shedocaster? :eek:

12. Colt W. Knight

Thanks Mark. Unless something terrible happens, I should have this guitar done this weekend.

Jack - Those little guys can sure pull some volume out of their diaphram. I bet ole Poveratti wishes he could draw a note out like those little jacks.

13. Colt W. Knight

Well, just one piece of the entire guitar is going to come from that old barn, so I don't think that term is going to be appropriate.

14. Colt W. Knight

Another day of tearing stuff up!

Let me see what I can get done this afternoon. First, let’s use some of that geometry stuff we learned in high school to layout the neck shape on the oak board.
    [​IMG]
    Then freehand the peg head shape from memory.
    [​IMG]
    I know, I know, you are saying, “Colt, don’t you want to check your rough sketch against an actual tele to see if you drew it out correctly?” My answer is, “No.” It’s just going to be what it is.
    Of course, I am going to have to set up the router table with some sort of jig to route out the truss bar channel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Colt W. Knight

I will do the actual routing in three passes to reduce fatigue on the bit, and to keep shaving from building up underneath and screwing with the channel depth. Here is a cheap gauge I picked up on sale at Sears. Worth every penny I paid for it. It came with a table saw measuring gauge as well, much easier than trying to use a ruler.
    [​IMG]
    Let’s see if that angle iron fits in there.
    [​IMG]
    Yup. While it is in there, I will just mark where I need to relieve the neck for the side piece of the angle.
    [​IMG]
    Then realign my jig for a ½” router bit
    [​IMG]

16. Colt W. Knight

That worked out well.
    [​IMG]
    Now onto to the bandsaw, and rough cut that sucker out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Colt W. Knight

Now for my newest tool… The Rigid oscillating spindle/belt sander. This guy is dangerous on pine, but works amazingly well on hard woods.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Colt W. Knight

Let’s just see how well my geometry and paper figuring did on this neck…
    [​IMG]
    Score, it fits. Let’s see how well the headstock turned out.
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to cut the truss bar to length
    [​IMG]
    And for this daunting chore, I get to use one of my favorite tools, the Milwaukee portable band saw. Seriously, it slices through steel like a hot knife through butter. It is a must have for anyone who cuts a lot of metal stuff. You can even set it up in a vice and use it to cut shapes.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  19. Colt W. Knight

Looks like it was made to fit together like that. I swear, I spent a fortune on tools to finally be able to create stuff like this. Ever watch ole Norm Abrahm on the New Yankee Workshop. I am jealous of how many nifty tools that guy has. I think he has a specific tool for ever minute little thing possible. One day, I hope to have stuff like that.
    [​IMG]
    Then I have to plane that maple plank down to a ¼” for the fret board.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That went well. Now for cutting it into a workable size.

20. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah yes ............. ole Norm and his dedicated mortising machine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.