COMPLETED --$100 Telecaster Challenge - Ketchup Caster

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Mark-00255, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks Murray! I think my test above showing that I can get 25 1/2 inches on the bridge at the high E means it will intonate. It will be a long throw from the string through holes to the saddles though!

2. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Yeah, I thought it was strange, too, Jack. I’ve seen silly ads for necks on the bay that spout a skunk stripe as some kind of cool feature! Maybe the manufacturer uses the two-piece approach because they get more necks out of their maple boards – they can save the nice even grain stuff for fingerboards. Don’t know if that makes sense, but maybe.

I think I can take off ¼ … that would give me some more room on the bridge, and might make the long neck not as obvious when playing. And I have to think that would steer clear of the truss rod. Here’s a ¼ mark on the bottom (oh, and I finally sanded down the dowels:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a saw that would be up to this challenge, but think I could rout it!! That way I could get consistent depth too.

3. Skrik

Skrik Tele-Holic

I had the neck problem, too. Jwells had the answer. Had I owned a table saw, I would have followed his advice, too. I ended up using a mitre saw, and I almost got it right. The neck now fits, but the heel isn't going to win any beauty pageants.

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Didn't have much chance to work tonight, but I marked out a little more thoroughly how I think I'll cut the neck heel:
    [​IMG]

I figure I have to decide to go for it tomorrow, or just accept the long neck and intonate with long saddle screws. Meanwhile, I was touching up some dust spots on my rear rout cover and sprayed another coat of black fusion, and this happened:
    [​IMG]

Yuck - paint bacteria! Obviously I've sanded it down, but I may have to use some mineral spirits and start over on the black on this thing. No great loss if I have to cut a whole new piece - except for the copper tape already on the other side!

My finishing plan goes like this, starting tomorrow night after work with wet-sanding, then resuming Friday night and Saturday:

• Wet Sand Body and Headstock
    • Polish Bridge
    • Drill Neck Mount Holes in Body
    • Re-Drill String-Through Holes
    • Buff Body
    • Fit and Mount Ferrules
    • Drill Volume and Tone Pot Holes
    • Attach Neck
    • Align and Drill Bridge
    • Install Pickup and Pots and Wire it up
    • String 'er up and shoot video of first twang!

Something like that anyways! It has been a fun journey, that's for sure!

5. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

yep, looks like a job for a router w/ a pattern bit to me. and hope like heck you don't hit the truss rod :eek::D

6. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

Hey Mark,

Got my NYC necks today and the back of the maple one has 5 holes in it - the centre one at the heel is well past the last fret so you won't hit the truss rod if you cut yours back.

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Murray

7. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

Decided to go for it on the neck heel. My objective – use my router to cut off about 5/16 and leave an equal 5/16 overhang over the body. Here’s the make-shift jig setup:
    [​IMG]
    Router Path:
    [​IMG]

First Cut is straight, with a slight tear-out on the right, but … it ain’t level:
    [​IMG]

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Needed to shim the left side of the neck, under the t-shirt, using a piece of cedar shingle … second cut:
    [​IMG]

Better. Now re-set the jig to go lower to the final depth, 5/16 from the top at the side of the neck:
    [​IMG]

And here’s the final cut. Flat, but a little tear-out on the right, and a little seam:
    [​IMG]

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

– I’m not worried, though. Remember I have the World’s Best Sandpaper! ;) Rough out the corners and fix the seam:
    [​IMG]

Smooth it all out – no flash this time:
    [​IMG]

Test it in the neck template – dang, that might just work:
    [​IMG]

10. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

And test it in the real thing – just can’t resist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember in that last shot, it’s not screwed down. It’ll be nice and snug. Here’s a scale length test – last try at this I had the saddle screw almost all the way out to get it long enough – this time it’s screwed in quite a ways:
    [​IMG]

That … will … work! As the kids say, I am stoked! I’ll probably take tomorrow afternoon off and get busy wet sanding the top and back.

11. martino

martino Tele-Holic

+1

nice save!

12. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

Nice recovery. SWEET!

13. martino

martino Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

What is that green stuff and where can I get some???
    I see others using stuff that looks like it but theres is white-ish.

14. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Looks like the same material they make cutting boards out of. Wal-Mart has 'em and so does Bed, Bath & Beyond.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I know the grain did not get filled completely, but the sinking of the finish into the grain I love personally. I could care less if a finish is like that or perfectly filled and the finish flat, actually on nice wood like that and ash etc I prefer the sinking. It is wood for Pete's sake I say. ;)

16. nick.s

nick.s Tele-Meister

this is just WOW...
    absolutely beautiful...

17. Stoked

Stoked Tele-Meister

Dude I'm totally Stoked for you. ;) Great job on saving that neck. It fits beautifully now.

18. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Love the grain pattern on your guitfiddle, and the bridge and knobs look fantastic.

19. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Yes - it's cutting board from a local grocery cash-and-carry type of joint. My white is the same stuff.

20. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thank you, Nick - you're too kind. My build seems to have alternated between some stuff that worked really well and some stuff where I made some real bonehead mistakes!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.