COMPLETED --$100 Telecaster Challenge - Ketchup Caster

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Mark-00255, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

They have those necks on ebay too.... I just picked up a maple and a rosewood. $30 each plus shipping. (And reasonable shipping to the great white north for a change.) I'm interested to see what they look like in person.

2. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

You got the new big Zuma! I'm trying to talk the wife into one for scooting out to the stables (since she still won't give in on my motorcycle plans).

I love my blue Yamaha, but it's not that warm here, and 4-wheel drive + pushing snow doesn't get me anywhere near 80 mpg :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

3. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Was it the NY Pro necks for $30, or Eden? I never saw any of the NY Pros ... I really like the look of the bound rosewood board Eden for $50-odd. I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience with that one!

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Indeed that is my 125 Zuma! 4-stroke, 4-valve, fuel injected, great suspension that is far above any other scooter I test drove ... tops out at about 60 MPH ... I love it!

Your rig looks like it would make snowplowing a blast, BTW!

5. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Waiting a day was a good plan ... the finish is much better looking tonight with the splotches not noticeable at all in normal light. I've found that paint instructions are very optimistic about drying times, and I need to summon patience! Not an easy thing for me.

So tonight I'll have a go at my ketchup packet pseudo-burst!

6. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I worked over the body a little bit with 0000 steel wool and then set up for the burst. I decided to mix two packets of the deep red cabernet with some of the pecan. Then starting with the edges, and worked it into the roundovers and the sides. Hard to take pics while doing this, but my wife happened by and snapped one for me:
    [​IMG]

I think it's getting close - flash shots blow all variations in the finish way out of proportion:
    [​IMG]

I may give it one more coat tomorrow ... sunlight will help.

7. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

NY Pros... They started at $30 and had a BIN for $50 look for item 360136491298

By the way, that pecan is looking good!

8. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I think the body has reached the saturation point with stain ... the last coat last night didn't do much, actually, but I think it's gonna work. I have decided it needs a pickguard, though. So, first I started tracing the neck cutout with my neck jig:
    [​IMG]

Traced the body a little bit to give me some referencing while sketching - I just read Martyb1's thread and turns out he did the same thing!
    [​IMG]

Then I sketched and snipped a couple sheets of paper, and ended up with this:
    [​IMG]

I may refine the area under the cutout a bit more, but this is where I'm headed I think. Problem is, nobody around here has any plastic stock. I spent about 30 minutes roaming around the local supermarket/one-stop kinda joint looking at everything from plastic bin lids, to clipboards. I'll find something tomorrow!

Oh yeah - gave it the first coat of wipe-on poly - pics of that process to come tomorrow.

9. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Good thing we payed attention in art class ;):)

10. fauxhican

fauxhican TDPRI Member

I ordered a 12" x 12" sheet of garolite from McMaster Carr on Tuesday, it showed up yesterday afternoon. I think it was around $7.

11. Tom_B

Tom_B Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Horizontal - harsh flash and indoor light really accentuates/exacerbates the way the grain took the stain:
    [​IMG]

I don't know about the pickguard, Mark. I'm sure you'd do a great job with it, but that mockup is the cleanest looking tele I've ever seen. Very unique and very cool. A modernist interpretation of an esquire. Whatever you decide, good job!

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Excuse my opinionated comment, can't keep my keyboard shut. ;)

That is too pretty for a PG IMO, especially with no neck PUP!. Maybe a little paisley PG like the 48-9 Proto and first year Broadcaster. Or a Clear Plexi small one like that you can put some printed paisley or other under according to your mood. ;)

Example, clear plexi guard with floral under:

[​IMG]

13. mkorsmo

mkorsmo Tele-Meister

I think a clear guard (or no guard) would look cool.

14. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Add me to the no-guard club. That is just way too pretty!! I love the clean lines. It would be a pity to cover that grain.

15. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Okay - I hear you! Thanks guys, for the vote of confidence on my original idea and design. I'll stick to it and not put on a guard. HD does have some plexiglass sheets that I could use, but clear PGs are not my fave! So, no guard it is - the pseudo-burst staincaster!

16. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Wipe On Poly

I got up early and put on the second coat of poly, and took pics. Here’s my method – start with 0000 steel wool lightly rubbed with the grain over the whole surface:
    [​IMG]

Then use a handy magnet to gather the shed steel particles – I’ll use a Bald Eagle in homage to Scatter Lee and his cool wildlife out his front door!
    [​IMG]

Oohh – fuzzy:
    [​IMG]

17. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I have an old T-shirt sleeve I’m using – I started fresh with it on coat one, but like to use the same one over for the rest of the coats so that I’m avoiding lint issues with new applicators all the time. I store it in between coats in a sandwich bag and it stays moist:
    [​IMG]

I’ve only done this once before, but while putting 9 coats on I discovered the best way was complete, non-stop vertical strokes with the grain. If I stop mid-body somewhere, I get schmutzy build-up. Here’s the back in progress:
    [​IMG]

Here’s the front – nice and flat and reflective already after the second coat – this actually may turn out all right!
    [​IMG]

18. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

And here it hangs this afternoon after 3 coats – I came home for lunch and put on another:
    [​IMG]

So overall, this project to use ketchup packets of stain is a qualified sort of success. The front is pretty cool – not professional, necessarily, but cool. But the back … it’s like a 50-year old actress. Looks good in medium to long shots, but please, no close-ups. Especially in HD!

What I really need to do is take it all back down to wood and re-apply with what I’ve learned. But, there’s no time, and since I used stain, that might not work. The stain penetrates the wood of course, so the body would probably be a mini-Tele by the time I got it all off. I’ll finish it out with another half dozen or so coats of poly this weekend, and then let it dry through the week. Then assemble next Friday/Saturday, in time for the big finish!

19. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

One More Shot Tonight ...

I got the fourth coat of poly on and it really lays flat when wet:
    [​IMG]

The texture in the light is actually the fluorescent fixture - I've never had clear come out this smooth! As the poly dries though it sinks in a bit and I get some relief in the larger dark grain. I'll have to look at Woodman's rainbow poplar build and see how many coats of poly he put on that.

20. martino

martino Tele-Holic

The texture in the light is actually the fluorescent fixture - I've never had clear come out this smooth! As the poly dries though it sinks in a bit and I get some relief in the larger dark grain. I'll have to look at Woodman's rainbow poplar build and see how many coats of poly he put on that.[/QUOTE]

I have some of that stuff around here some place what I remember is
    that it does shrink quite a bit and I thought the can said 3 coats Max?:confused:
    How fast can you scuff after your 1st coat?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.