COMPLETED --$100 Telecaster Challenge - Ketchup Caster

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Mark-00255, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ns10Fan

Ns10Fan Tele-Meister

You might have some talks with GE Smith, cause that looks WAY better than the lopped off fender bridge. This guitar is looking hotter by the minute.

2. mwaym

mwaym Tele-Meister

That's a SWEET bridge !!!!!!:D

3. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

That bridge straight up rules.

4. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks again for more comments on the bridge, guys! I had those black saddles laying around - took them off my Tele Deluxe a couple years back when I put Graph-techs on it. And my wife just doesn't understand why I don't throw stuff away!

Going is slow tonight on the finish. The splotchy places are actually ghosts of the grain filler that I didn't get all the way off. I spent a little time sanding at those spots and it seems to respond well, but the still somewhat fresh stain loads up the paper pretty fast. So, I'll wait until tomorrow night after work and sand her down a bit before progressing. I'll add some more pics of that work as well tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I found some more hardware! Rear rout cover and bridge stainless screws at 5 X 12 cents and 5 X 18 cents respectively, for $1.50. Nice aluminum strap buttons for 92 cents each! And, check out these cool RS knurled knobs for $2.99! They seem to carry on the flat aluminum and black look ...
    [​IMG]

That's another $6.33. I'm up to $49.39, not counting wood and neck. All that's left is a jack, and I forgot about a neck plate and screws, but have an idea there.

5. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Can't wait to see the rest....

6. shoretyus

shoretyus Tele-Holic

That bridge is brilliant.

7. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

Absolutely! I tell you Fender authorities are probably already propping ideas on that bridge.

8. mkhhunt

mkhhunt Tele-Meister

That's sweet!

I really like the bridge and the traditional pecan... Nice work.

Cheers,

Murray.

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys for the bridge comments! I'm totally happy with the way it turned out!

I worked on the splotchy stain quite a bit tonight. Took parts of it almost all the way down to wood to try to get a consistent look. It is much better, but I still have a little ways to go.

My neck came as well - it's seems okay, although the roundovers at the base of the heel are small. I'll have to sand it a little to fit my standard Tele neck rout.

Here's a mockup, with some splotchiness in evidence - but hopefully in areas where it will blend with the red burst:
    [​IMG]
    Horizontal - harsh flash and indoor light really accentuates/exacerbates the way the grain took the stain:
    [​IMG]

It'll be interesting to see it in natural light again in the morning. The color is getting close to this Tele that's been posted a few times - kinda always in mind when I've been on this project - although I morph it into a burst!
    [​IMG]

10. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

You can tell a build thread is in trouble when either the replies stop coming in, and/or the builder starts rationalizing the problems.

Well no rationalizing here - I took a chance on the 59 cent ketchup packets of stain, in keeping with the spirit of this challenge, and so far the results are mediocre. At this point, I can either:

• Paint it black
    • Keep after my original vision and try to salvage it
    I'm inclined to do the latter. This piece of wood is too nice to paint over, so I'll keep at it tonight with some more sanding and stain fill to try to get the finish consistent.

Meanwhile, I rounded up my final parts today - ordered a neck plate online for $4 ($6 shipped), got some D'Addorio 11s for $5.49; a jack for $2.95, and some copper tape for $5.99 (won't use all of that, so that might not count!).
    [​IMG]
    Definitely going with 11s for this picnic table looking beast! That's another $16.43 bringing my total parts bill to $65.82.

Hummmm ... with the neck, I'm over at $105.32, although the guy charged me $40 shipped for the neck and he paid $7.53 shipping. Back that out and I'm at $97.79. Can't get much closer than that!

11. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

well shipping dont count anyway, spend some more

12. roger ebelrin

roger ebelrin Tele-Holic

so far I htink it looks great

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice, I also made a Tele Deluxe with the same pine with some MIM WRHB RI PUPs, and I used a S'51 neck on it too. We are on the same wave length perhaps. It is a great neck it turns out.

Note the DIY Beer Keg Bridge and control plate I made outta Some 'Bud' Stainless Steel from a keg my son left behind. ;) While we are talking DIY bridges I mean. ;) The nickels cost .15 extra of course. ;)

14. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

I'm totally digging this one too! I LOVE that bridge. Fantastic stuff!!

15. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Neck and Rout Cover Work

Thanks guys! I decided to get back to work and quit worrying over the body - leave that alone tonight and attack some other stuff! It can’t hurt to let the stain cure another day! My wife thinks I should go ahead with the red stain – she thinks that will look cool – a deep red translucent. Would be great if it worked!

Meanwhile, I’ve got details to work on, like the weird squared off neck heel! Here’s a test fit in my neck jig:
    [​IMG]

You can see the funny squared off “roundover” and that gap between the end of the neck would have fit a fat credit card. So I marked off the area that needed trimming – not that much actually, just a smoother roundover:
    [​IMG]

Attacked with some 150 grit first – that was easy! Nice fit now:
    [​IMG]

Course, it should have worked, I was using the World’s Best Sandpaper, see:
    [​IMG]

16. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

The head stock logo wasn’t so easy – this is not too bad looking, but it ain’t gonna be an NY Pro guitar, so it’s gotta go:
    [​IMG]

This thing had some wacky clear coat that sanded to an ultra fine white powder – took a while, actually, but looks nice and clean now:
    [​IMG]

I don't know yet what I'll do for a logo ... I really don't mind the headstock shape, though. Kind of a Strat with a guthook ...

17. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

Lookin good.Was that an Eden neck?
    Mine had them same square corners:)

18. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Since I got the copper tape today, I thought I’d work on my rear rout cover. Taped the underside and sprayed it with some Fusion paint that adheres to plastic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And tomorrow brings another fine day on the left coast! It's warming up here - no more threat of black ice in the mornings, so I get to ride this to work - 80 mpg, and tons of fun!
    [​IMG]

19. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

The brand is actually "New York Pro" - their strat copies are on Amazon, but I don't know much about them. This was off a Tele copy that was a few years old - a guy on the Squier 51 forum had it.

20. martyb1

martyb1 Tele-Afflicted

I see that now.Guess I should have waited a minute before I posted:eek:
    :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.