Complete Noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Headless Axeman, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hey everyone. Finally joining, after lurking for a number of weeks. Wanted to say thanks to everyone here for sharing their huge knowledge and passion for Teles. This site is a big reason why I finally dove in and got a new Squier Affinity Tele. Also took my first lesson on Saturday. I'm a complete beginner. Thanks!

My knowledge of Teles, other guitars, and playing in general pales in comparison with everyone's on here, so I don't expect to be posting a whole lot. But I'll be checking in every day to see what everyone is up to (and learning that GAS is a very real - and painful - affliction).

I know this is cheesy, and prepare to roll your eyes, but I also thought I'd mention that I'm doing a blog chronicling my attempt to learn the guitar. I'd love it if anyone checked it out and let me know what they thought. Here it is: How I Learned Guitar. Let's hope I did that right.

Cheers and keep on rockin'.

2. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the TDPRI!
    Congratulations on your new Squier Affinity Tele - and good luck learning to play the guitar!

Enjoy!

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Headless. Congrats on your affinity Tele.

4. karpis

karpis Tele-Holic

Hi, You will find that playing/owning guitar is a great way to spend Your time and money ;) Enjoy the forum!

5. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to TDPRI.
    Nice Affinity for sure.
    Neck and Body.

6. Headless Axeman

Thanks! One thing that worried me when I was shopping was the prospect of picking a crappy guitar. I had the salesman play all of them for me, but the problem was that they all sounded great to my untrained ear (all Squier Teles). So I was relieved when I went to my first lesson and my teacher gave it a thorough inspection and raved at how well set up it was. He even commented that he might have to pick one up for that price.

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Welcome and great choice of guitar (I wish I had made that choice when I started).

You are on a fantastic adventure and the people here will do a superb job of helping you along the way.

Enjoy!

8. Blustele

Blustele Tele-Afflicted

Welcome!

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome and good luck!

10. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome.
    Practice, practice then go play for your friends & family which IMHO is a better way to practice.
    If you have an iPad or like item I highly recommend the Ultimate Guitar App with the tabs, people will think you're a pro long before you feel like one!
    No matter what don't be discouraged by the things that are difficult to play or understand, time will be your ally.

11. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum !!

12. Headless Axeman

Hey, thanks for the thoughts. That is basically my mindset - practice just as much as possible. Try to have the guitar in my hands every single day. I'm all over Ultimate Guitar - and also the 100's of YouTube "how to play _______" videos. There's just a ton of online resources.

I'm also taking lessons and trying to balance out the dry book learning with the fun of playing songs I love. Anyhow, thanks again.

13. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

I think the blog is a great way to track your progress (others can follow it too). Great concept. This is a great place too, you will find a lot of helpful people here. This is a defining moment in your life. There will be your life before guitar/ and your life with the guitar.

14. Headless Axeman

Man, those last two sentences got me fired up. I hope they become true. Thanks!

15. Dingbat

Dingbat Friend of Leo's

Good luck Axeman,

I'll check on your progress from time to time.

And honestly....if I didn't play my guitar regularly I would likely have to see a therapist :lol:

You will find a new life with your guitar for sure.

16. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Former Member

You've come to the right place Headless.

17. Headless Axeman

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! This site is really great - extraordinarily friendly and welcoming by internet standards.

Anyhow, I posted my Week 2 video update on my blog. This will be the last time that I spam everyone about this. Just thought some of you may be interested.

How I Learned Guitar

18. canonbar

canonbar TDPRI Member

Hey Headless...I'm only new here too. The best thing about your blog is that you get to track your progress. So when you're feeling in a rut or like you aren't getting anywhere, you can bust out your old videos and watch and listen. This can be as inspiring as watching your fave player, or finally nailing that riff you've been working in for weeks. Great idea.

Look forward to checking out your progress. And like the others have said, you're in a friendly place with a lot of knowledgable guys...so if you need to know something, there's no such thing as a silly question. Happy Guitarin'. :D

19. Headless Axeman

Thanks. I agree re the rut issue. I fully expect to hit a rut in my progress, and I agree that looking back a month or two in my videos will be a nice way of showing me just how much progress I'm making. Cheers!

(By the way, I see you're a big beer guy. I'm an American microbrew IPA fan. If you ever get a chance to try Victory Hop Devil, jump at it. To me, it is the perfect beer.)

20. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Good on you dude

Welcome from Scotland buddy , you have a plan and a tele AND you have landed on the best forum on the planet , the guys here have helped me no end with tech probs and even just opinions . Affinity is a good choice , remember the tele was originally designed to be cheap to make and basic as hell , so if it`s the right shape it`s a good start , check out what some of the guys here have done to their Affinitys , plenty scope for future upgrades as time /cash / desire dictate . Stick with it , it`s a source for sure man , no kidding . And you have the ultimate resource here . Nothing you encounter will not have been detailed on this forum , trust me on that one . Cool log on name too , your sorted buddy , enjoy your tele , your site and your experience . Never give up . PS get posting pictures - most important here - LoL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.