1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Complete newb at recording

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by golfnut, Feb 26, 2021.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been in the studio but all I had to do was play and listen to the engineer and producer tell me what to do.
    Now I'd like to start building a small recording studio at home. At home I've used cool edit pro in the past with a simple USB recording mic.
    My objection is to supply electric guitar tracks to songs that are sent to me by recording with a mic on my amp. And do a little bit of record with my vocals and acoustic.
    This weekend I'll be going to pickup the following to get started.

1. Solid state logic SSL2+
    2.Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones
    3. e609 to mic my amp. Eventually may also pickup an SM57
    4. Buy Reaper

In the near future I'll pick up the following

1. Either a Rode NT1 or AT4040 for vocals and acoustic
    2. set of studio monitors

So I am starting from scratch on this learning curve. Any recommendations with good beginner primers considering the gear list I've provided?

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  2. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

The first thing I tel anyone interested in digital recording is use an external disc drive to record the audio files onto. Think about the your file naming convention so you can easily retrieve what was recorded earlier (don't be afraid to change this at a later date if you have problems later on). Most people are more concerned with recording more than the nuts and bolts but those are important. Any DAW you're comfortable with will work.

Find out what amps and mics were used in the studio of your favorite guitar sounds and look for those. I can tell you what I use but that works for me. The plugins today are really good and it's possible to get a good sound without an amp or mic.

Youtube is your friend use it

As far as monitors I use NS10's but for a home studio I like Yamaha HS series since they are similar. Remember don't buy monitors because they make the music sound better buy them to reveal what is going on in the mix.

klasaine likes this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thank you for the response. I've been an IT professional for 25 years (Hardware, systems, etc) So I'm used to technical things.
    As for external disks, my system has 4 500 GB solid state drives. I do have a number of 4 to 8 terabyte USB 3.0 drives. Do you still think it would be better to store the files on the external disks?
    As for studio monitors I was thinking of going with the Adam T7V or T8V. I did think about the Yamaha HS but In all this I'll be getting rid of my Rega 2 channel audio system so I'll be using the studio monitors for casual listening as well as mixing and I've read that the Adams were easier to listen to with the Yamaha's not being suitable for any kind of recreational listening.
    I'm really not familiar with any DAW. The most recommended seems to be Reaper so its a cheap enough investment to try.

4. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Use an SSD drive that is dedicated to recording. It doesn't have to be external.

I have those Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones and I like them, save for the fact that they use a proprietary cord that is more expensive to replace.

The Solid State Logic unit could be a great interface. I don't know. But I do know that I and others have had good luck with Focusrite products.

Reaper may be the right DAW to get. I've been a Cakewalk user for years, and when I recently went to update my system, I was shocked and pleased to discover that a fully-featured, regularly-updated version is now free. It is Windows-only, however.

There are a lot of free plug-ins available. My favorite are the ones offered by Melda Production's MFreeBundle, which includes 37 plug-ins. I'm particularly fond of their equalizer.

5. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Cool thread, same here.

Is it that good Reaper?

edit. I've never been in a studio.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Max out your computer with RAM. I believe there's a YT about making your computer optimized for audio recording.

7. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Learn about gain staging, levels and how it applies to your interface/setup. This will save problems later on.

Understand that the room you are using is likely to be your biggest limiting factor. More so for acoustic and vocals but will effect what you can do with mics on an amp, and any mixing you end up doing.

golfnut likes this.
  8. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

The SSD’s should be fine, for me I like external to keep my projects separate. Your ram should be used for your DAW and plugins. It may not be a problem now but later if you do serious recording it will have an effect. Also I partition my external HD to just enough memory for my current project.

The idea behind the NS10’s is if you can get a good mix with those it will sound good on anything but they are expensive and need a separate amp. HS series are the closest I’ve found to them. If you’re not mixing you may not need that. There is a lot of great equipment out there and not just one right way to do recording.

golfnut likes this.
  9. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good looking list. I prefer and recommend the Beyer DT770 Pros for headphones but the AT ones are good too.

Both the NT1 and 4040 are solid. If you're voice needs warming then go 4040 and if you're always looking for presence you might prefer the NT1

You have plenty of drives. For what you have all of the options you listed are up to the task.

Reaper is great for what you've described. Big community and decent learning curve.

I have the import Adams and like them. Don't buy the Yamahas. The white cones are a marketing gimmick and they sound nothing like the NS-10 speakers they are styled after. They are also pretty poor next to the Adams in the price range (sorry if this offends anyone).

I also have the powered CLA-10 speakers (NS-10 styled remake). I love them and the reality is that my Adams are always turned off and the CLAs are always on on my desk. I only turn the Adams on when I want to listen with the sub (I have the matching sub).

hope this helps. Ask questions if you have any more.

(my opinions on this are backed by my music tech degree and years of gainful employment in the music tech industry but they're still just opinions)

golfnut likes this.
  10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thank you all for the advice. I'm all set up as far as hardware. Unfortunately the sales guy gave me the wrong cables to connect my studio monitors so I haven't heard the Adam T8V's yet. Got the cables today at lunch and will connect after work. Pretty busy every night this week but I'm hoping to find some time to get in to the software setup and learning how to use it.

[​IMG]

11. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Classic GC nonsense :lol:

Sweet! Looks great!

Start thinking now about how you want to eventually handle room treatment. Even a bit of trapping at the reflection points can greatly improve the frequency response (and timeywimey stuff) of the room. Personally, I'm a big fan of fabric over Rockwool Rockboard (you can buy it from Grainger and pick it up from them for free).

I have a strong distaste for YouTube producers that teach DAWs. It's not that there's anything wrong with the people. It's that I only want the information in its most direct form (aside from the manual).

https://www.groove3.com/browse/by-category/daw/reaper

I recommend just paying for the "all access" pass for a month when you know you'll have time. It'll be the best $20 you can spend for jumpstarting your production education.

Best of luck and be patient with yourself! I know you have a tech background but learning this stuff can still be crazy frustrating at times.

golfnut likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck as you start the process. It's a lot of fun. I am not sure what the learning curve is for Reaper but start off simple. Record a cover to something you know well, that is not difficult. Then compare the two and try to see how close you can get to it. It's a good measuring stick. Chances are you're not coming close to the dynamics and overall production quality. But the value is determining if your mix is boomy or lacks body or high end. Don't be disappointed in your results.

13. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This is not necessary for audio recording, except on something like a MacBook or Mini, say, where the memory cannot be expanded, and options are limited. Audio recording on a modern computer, which should not be doing much of anything else while recording/mixing, can be accomplished in with a reasonable memory configuration of 16GB or even less possibly. My ancient MacBook Pro has only 8GB and it's completely functional - recorded 12+ tracks at a time with a live band on that thing (external hi-speed drive). Disk access/speed and, to a lesser degree IMO, processor speed are more important, especially if using lots of DSPs.

Many modern computers can be maxed out to a huge amount of RAM. If you're going to venture into video, *then* extra RAM (and computer cores) become necessary to keep the cobwebs from forming while you wait for things to happen.

Keep your music project/audio files on a separate disk from the OS, so its internal machinations and loading/unloading of stuff do not interfere with the record/playback of audio bits and bytes.

Splodgeness likes this.
  14. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Love that desk!

Those are giant speaker monitors!

15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Got the monitor stands for both sets of speakers. The second pic is about 12 feet behind my desk. The amp is mic'd up ready to record.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GoldieLocks, suthol and studio like this.
  16. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

studio likes this.
  17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

@golfnut love your studio!!!!

Now, gain staging... what the heck is that??? I'm still learning too.

18. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

It's the proper setting of levels, all thru the signal chain, so the quality of the signal is optimized, and noise/artifacts are minimized. It can be a little challenging to get the concept at first, but after you get used to it, it becomes second-nature.

FortyEight likes this.
  19. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All great advice here. I have learned a ton from this sub forum!

I too am relatively new to the home recording game. I've only been doing it seriously for the last year.

1) You will want to treat that room a little bit, especially behind your speakers and the corners off to the sides of the speakers. I can't tell how high the ceiling is but you may also need something above your head/workstation.

2) I dedicated a machine (Mac) to recording. It does nothing else.

3) When I track guitars, either electrics with an amp or acoustics with mics, I use the ATH M-50X headphones (which I love). When I need to listen critically (really check my parts and/or mix), I use a pair of open back Sennheiser HD-650s.
    *There's a company called 'Mass Drop' which has Sennheiser make these and then they re-label them as HD-6XX for almost half the price. The only potential issue is that they wait until a certain amount has been pre-ordered before they ship. Usually about two months depending.
    https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

4) I would get one other mic, preferably a condenser to use either in conjunction with and/or as a foil to the e609 dynamic. There's a ton of them. MXL, Rode and audio Technica make good quality, low cost condensers. *A ribbon mic is also cool for maybe down the line (they can be pricey).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    FortyEight likes this.
  20. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

so the signal chain for me would be my DAW and interface... But I guess the amp and any pedals are included in that thinking????

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.