Complete new guy here with 1983 telecaster, not sure what i bought.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
it's the original bridge.. really comfy to play/ heel palm.... good pickups too..;)

nice Tele... :)

83 bridge restring tool.JPG

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
On the underside of the bridge plate there is a 3/8 x 1/2 chrome fender custom shop sticker

What about the back of the headstock? Custom shop tends to put their logo there as well...

EDIT:
Aaaaand I just saw the indignant posts regarding CS not being a thing until '93.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
As already pointed the guitar is a 1983 Fender standard Tele.
So I very much doubt there will be a CS sticker there :)

And as I edited my post a few minutes back: "EDIT: Aaaaand I just saw the indignant posts regarding CS not being a thing until '93." :)

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
If?

WHAT "if"?

Have you even bothered to look at the link and the official 1983 FENDER catalog?
I am very well aware of what the bridge on a 1983 Tele is, and what it looks like. I am also very aware that the bridge on the OP's guitar looks original.

The OP said his had a custom shop label on the bottom. Are you saying that it is impossible that the custom shop ever made a 1983 style Tele bridge?

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I am very well aware of what the bridge on a 1983 Tele is, and what it looks like. I am also very aware that the bridge on the OP's guitar looks original.

The OP said his had a custom shop label on the bottom. Are you saying that it is impossible that the custom shop ever made a 1983 style Tele bridge?

Sorry I have to feed the cat :lol: .

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
By “bridge plate” do you mean the bottom of the bridge pickup? If there’s a chrome custom shop sticker on there, it means the bridge pickup has more than likely been swapped for one of the mass-production “Custom Shop” pickups from Fender… A decent swap although a small hit on current value I’d say.

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
By “bridge plate” do you mean the bottom of the bridge pickup? If there’s a chrome custom shop sticker on there, it means the bridge pickup has more than likely been swapped for one of the mass-production “Custom Shop” pickups from Fender… A decent swap although a small hit on current value I’d say.

My guess also ,many people who aren't well versed in guitar jargon make this mistake

BTW here are some threads on 1983 toploader teles (the first one is...EPIC..)

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/why-a-1983-telecaster-isnt-collectable.856174/page-2

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/1983-fender-telecaster-usa-any-help.252184/

The guitar is also known as the "Jeff Buckley" tele

Last edited:

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Custom_Shop

For nearly 20 years (since 1965), Fender was owned and operated by CBS. Many guitar players felt that the interests of CBS were at odds with the marketplace and profits declined. In 1984, CBS sold the rights to the Fender name and designs to an investor group of employees led by Bill Schultz who launched Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC).

The Fender Custom Shop began in 1987, under the supervision of then-CEO Schultz. The initial staff comprised only two Master Builders (John Page, Michael Stevens) and a Haas VF4 CNC machine (modified for woodwork) that cuts three bodies or four necks at once. ... The primary intent of the Fender Custom Shop was to create instruments in the tradition of Leo Fender and his staff at the original Fender facilities in Fullerton, CA, accommodating famous endorsers and other discerning players who wanted the accuracy, detail, and quality—as well as customization and personal touches—that were widely perceived as omitted under the tutelage of CBS, and considered lacking on the revamped Fender's mass-produced instruments. In 1991, the Fender Custom Amp Shop was created and housed in Scottsdale, Arizona. Seven years later, Fender USA manufacturing, R&D and Custom Shop divisions, were moved to its present location in Corona, California.

There was so such thing as a Fender Custom Shop in 1983.

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
You guys are great. I should have it back by tomorrow and will take some better pics. Thanks again!

* The custom shop sticker was attached to the underside of the bridge pickup.

The guy cleaning the guitar up is Rick. Rick makes custom guitars from scratch, all 1/1's and the details/inlays are beautiful.

This is the case that came with the guitar, has no markings. Saw something similar listed as a vintage Ibanez case.

Attachments

• custom rick.jpeg
    custom rick.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 51
  • case2.jpeg
    case2.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 48
  • case 1.jpeg
    case 1.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
Went back and asked If she had any gear that I failed to get when I bought the guitars. See had a box waiting for me that should've gone with my purchase. Right away I spotted the fender custom texas telecaster pickup case and sure enough the original 83' pickups were inside. So that explains why the custom shop sticker was on my bridge that's in the guitar. I also got the pedals, cables and few other odds and ends.

Attachments

• texas.jpeg
    texas.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 49
  • pedals.jpeg
    pedals.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 49
  • texas pic.jpeg
    texas pic.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You guys are great. I should have it back by tomorrow and will take some better pics. Thanks again!

* The custom shop sticker was attached to the underside of the bridge pickup.

The guy cleaning the guitar up is Rick. Rick makes custom guitars from scratch, all 1/1's and the details/inlays are beautiful.

This is the case that came with the guitar, has no markings. Saw something similar listed as a vintage Ibanez case.
That is indeed an 80’s Ibanez Roadstar case.