Complete new guy here with 1983 telecaster, not sure what i bought.

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
First post, thanks TDPRI. I am not a player but love the tele sound. I recently bought 2 guitars and a couple amps at a garage sale of all places, the ladies' husband had recently passed and she was leaving the area. She thought he was the original owner. I knew the guitars were decent but wasn't 100% sure what i bought.

The easy guitar to figure out was the 1993 Les Paul special jr II. But the telecaster I'm confused on. I gave it to the local Luthier who is apparently very qualified but he is not an expert on all things fender. Serial # E317511, neck dated dec 01 1983 . He thinks it might be something more than a standard (like a custom shop) as it has a 5 way phase switch that's stamped fender on the back and the underside of the bridge is marked fender custom shop. It's appears all original inside and out aside from the ghastly paint job over the original pickguard. I'll have more pics soon but curious if you tele guys can figure it out or get me on the right path, thanks

Btw it looks like the name Lawrence is stamped on it if I look at it under a magnifying glass.

Attachments

• fender.jpeg
    fender.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 465
  • neck date.jpeg
    neck date.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 458
  • fneck.jpeg
    fneck.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 464
  • serialneck.jpeg
    serialneck.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
That is definitely an ‘83 usa made standard telecaster, looks mostly original. Interesting that it has a 5 way switch, that might be a Bill Lawrence circuit inside there (not stock, but cool and usable).

the body color is Sienna Sunburst, the body is probably ash, and of course you already know about the maple neck. Pickguard should be white under all that paint, if you can get that off, it should be ok-the white often ages to a parchment color, yours might be a tad more red of course-looks like he tried to create a faux tortoise shell pickguard!

This era of telecaster is very much a love/hate thing-some people (myself included) love the fast playing neck and the slightly looser tension of the top loader bridge-others hate it because it doesn’t sound quite like the old 50s and 60s teles. To each their own, and if it speaks to you, then play the thing!

Current values on Reverb are around $1200-1500 in decent shape, so if you’re looking to sell, that should get you in the ballpark, after cleaning up the pickguard. It would be good to see a pic of what’s under the control plate (pop 2 screws and you’re in) hopefully it’s not a rats nest underneath... very nice find!

Franc Robert

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
Thank you for the quick response very appreciated. On the underside of the bridge plate there is a 3/8 x 1/2 chrome fender custom shop sticker, does that mean anything? The Luthier is saying its 8-8.5 condition with original frets, minimum wear. I got in a package so probably in it $700 plus $150 to have it completely set up and new strings. Also came with non hump poodle case. I will probably sell this and end up with the Gibson for basically free. Got lucky I guess.

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Fender Custom Shop wasn’t in existence then AFAIK so that sticker was added well after the fact-maybe a little joke the original owner wanted to play on the new owner? That does look like the original correct bridge on that guitar, so no worries there...

Franc Robert

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
The Fender Custom Shop wasn’t in existence then AFAIK so that sticker was added well after the fact-maybe a little joke the original owner wanted to play on the new owner? That does look like the original correct bridge on that guitar, so no worries there...

Franc Robert

The only gtr teacher I really had (6/7 lessons?) was John Grunder from Pittsburgh and recruited by Fender when he was managing a mom and pop Fender Dealer in Butler, PA. roughly 1979 as a founder of the new Custom Shop. He would come back from trips to CA and tell me about meeting certain famous players and measuring all the dimensions of their favorite guitars. (first signature models?)
Anyway I don't think that Fender was cranking out "Custom Shop" models in '83 like they do today but I don't know and I can't call John since that bastard cancer took him in 2011.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome aboard! Don't be too quick to sell that Tele. Given a chance, it might turn out to be a better guitar for you than the Gibby. Good luck!

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
Welcome aboard! Don't be too quick to sell that Tele. Given a chance, it might turn out to be a better guitar for you than the Gibby. Good luck!
Thanks, but when I said I'm not a player it means I have only held a guitar a few times, i have never played a note. I think this guitar is in need of someone who will play it and appreciate it.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Welcome aboard & thanks for the pic.
Stay around a while and you may find yourself with another tele - and an amp or two.
:cool:
Peace - Deeve

guitar_paul1

Tele-Holic
Yes in addition to the 2 guitars I got 2 stands, what i think are 2 original cases, a yamaha G50-112II and a Peavey special 130.

I have that very same amp. New filter caps and reverb tank and it complements my DRRI very well.
The parametric EQ is really great for killing feedback on a hollow body.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
First post, thanks TDPRI. I am not a player but love the tele sound. I recently bought 2 guitars and a couple amps at a garage sale of all places, the ladies' husband had recently passed and she was leaving the area. She thought he was the original owner. I knew the guitars were decent but wasn't 100% sure what i bought.

The easy guitar to figure out was the 1993 Les Paul special jr II. But the telecaster I'm confused on. I gave it to the local Luthier who is apparently very qualified but he is not an expert on all things fender. Serial # E317511, neck dated dec 01 1983 . He thinks it might be something more than a standard (like a custom shop) as it has a 5 way phase switch that's stamped fender on the back and the underside of the bridge is marked fender custom shop. It's appears all original inside and out aside from the ghastly paint job over the original pickguard. I'll have more pics soon but curious if you tele guys can figure it out or get me on the right path, thanks

Btw it looks like the name Lawrence is stamped on it if I look at it under a magnifying glass.
Nice find. I’m quite envious. That’s my birth year, month, and favorite Fender finish! I’d snatch that up quick if I ever found it.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
The Fender Custom Shop did not exist until 1993. That is probably not the original bridge.

blowncar597

TDPRI Member
Nice guitar. But the Luthier you have found is not your friend at that price for strings and a set-up. :rolleyes:
He has taken the whole guitar apart and has cleaned everything down to the last set screw. He's enjoying the project taking his time and is charging me a flat rate not the 6 hours he's already spent on it.,