COMPLETE : JVIN248's TeleCasso Traveling Tele 2015 Build

Discussion in '2015 TDPRI GSM Build Challenge' started by jvin248, Jun 14, 2015.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Plan (sketch below):
    -A headless Travel Tele-style electric with standard tuners routed in the body. Full sized body so maybe I should call it a Travel-Style headless guitar?
    -Pine body, maple neck
    -Esquire-style single bridge pickup, volume only (some call it a tone pot anyway since when you turn the volume down the tone changes)
    -LP style fixed-intonation bridge or TOM due to space constraints, low in the body to match the flat neck joint. I like the fixed-intonation solid bar best since it avoids the little TOM pieces that get lost. I've repaired a lot of Fender style bridges that lost pieces due to missing strings.

Unplanned as yet:
    -Which color? May try matching paint to one of the colors in the picture, originally thought one of the famous Fender blues (Lake Placid, Daphne) but that red in the painting is catchy. Or maybe a burnt wood finish - as if it fell in the campfire and was rescued in the nick of time to keep playing? If this doesn't work out I guess it's firewood anyway :eek:
    -Full open body windows or "f"-hole one or more cavities - thin wood for travel is not so good, but having a resonator for campfire use with no electricity would be nice.
    -Make a secret locket for picks/capo and some sort of cord wrap/storage.
    -After I wreck the first neck, (bound to happen) I will get a piece of poplar to start over.

Off to get pictures of some wood! :D

Inspiration (picasso):
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  2. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very interesting design!

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Good luck with your build.

4. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

I really like the headstock in the body idea!

5. Lars81

Lars81 Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build, nice design.

6. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Innovation Sensation right here. As we say in Arkansas...Who would have thunk it?
    Wade

7. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Clever! Good luck with your build!

8. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Should be fun to watch! God luck.

9. Helix.Bam

Helix.Bam TDPRI Member

Eagerly await this one!

good luck to you.

10. HenryD

HenryD Tele-Meister

Same here, very creative

11. jvin248

Wood picture attached!

Pine board for the body, maple neck, walnut fretboard

Dark spots on the wood are from today's rain. Increasing my moisture content! But only for a moment. I like to work on the driveway when I can so the rain is stopping today's work.

The pine was leftover scrap from a stair project, the maple was a new board I bought six months ago for guitar necks, the walnut is a slat from a pallet. A little bend in it but it's long enough to fit.

The second shot is the beginning of the layout to check fits.
    I'm feeling a little affinity for "Captain Nutslot's Coca Cola Tele" since my layout work is the inside of a Coca Cola 24-pack case.

Attached Files:

12. jvin248

Closer view of the tight fit between the bridge and the tuners.

The 'headstock' is rotated slightly to keep the strings in line with the machine tuners since the string pitch is wider at this end of the guitar than at the nut. The type of bridge I'm using needs to keep the strings straight.

Rotating the tuner position helps fit the group a little easier between the bridge and the tail. I'm expecting to cut the body a bit long too so the last tuning machine is protected.

The finger slot for the tuners will likely be widened, I can always cut the wood deeper later. I think I have a set of smaller headed tuners that will help too. These example parts are off a pair of Epiphones I have on the bench.

Attached Files:

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, another traveling guitar, very nice concept. Good luck!

14. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Cool idea. Good luck.

15. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Very cool concept.

16. jvin248

I see all these other fabulous build threads and know I am way way behind.:eek:

I did a little work with the truss rod today. Making it from scratch.

Recent example of this rod style is used on many PRS guitars, but I saw the origin came from the 1930s-1940s Gibsons. Stew-Mac used to carry them, from what I heard. This style works like a turn-buckle where the rod is spun and the two nuts embedded in the neck draw together or push apart.

General features:
    - Slanted truss rod pocket in the neck, just under the fingerboard at the headstock end, cut deep at the heel. This way the rod pulls the neck at an angle.
    - Right hand thread on one end of the rod, Left hand thread on the other end
    - Matching threaded bar-nuts that drop into neck notches.
    - Welded cap nut on the end of the rod to wrench it.
    - Wax dip to ensure no glue sticks to the rod during fretboard install plus it provides lifetime lubrication and corrosion protection.

I'm basing the threads around 10-24 Standard coarse.

Bought taps and dies at McMaster-Carr plus the raw rod. I thought they would fit my die holder but I had to shim with strips scavenged from left over vinyl siding scraps.

By the way, if you want good picks for cheap, I've been cutting vinyl siding and they are the correct thickness, durable, and don't leave dust residue on the guitar. They are also textured on one side providing a non-slip surface. I just hand cut them.

Last image shows I'm cutting the threads down for the right hand thread end that would be the headstock end for a regular guitar. I used a file at the cut end to clean up the shear marks/burrs when the rod was factory cut to length. For cutting oil I used a little synthetic oil I had left in an oil bottle, that part that doesn't drain when you change the car oil. Twist the die to cut 1/4 to 1/3 turn, back it until the chips snap off, cut another 1/4 to 1/3 turn, repeat until a couple of inches of threads are made.

Up next is blanking the cross-nut, drill, and tap it. Then I'll thread the nut on, followed by the cap nut that will get welded to the end of the rod.

Attached Files:

17. jvin248

Finished the truss rod, but had a little issue along the way.

I cut the piece of steel I found in my junk drawer in half so I could make two adjustment nuts for the truss rod. I scribe an X, ***** the center, drill it out. Then I take the right hand threaded tap and thread it. I put the adjustment nut on the rod, run it a few times and drop it low on the threads. I get the store-bought coupler and spin that on at the end. This needs to be welded to the rod so the wrench turns this nut and spins the rod. The two adjustment nuts work like turn buckles to bend the neck forward or back.

I have a meeting across town and stop in a buddies shop on the way. He does welding. He's good and welds it up for me. Looks great! I drive back home.

I get an idea I should test this nut before I thread the opposite end (with left handed threads). I'd hate to have this installed in the neck and come undone with now way to repair. So I put a little wrench on it and twist just a little ... the weld pops free. :eek:

Now I've got a wee problem. An hour and a half round trip drive if I want to ask my buddy to take another run at it.

Or I do a little forging ... with fire! He he he. :twisted:

Attached Files:

18. jvin248

So, as they say, I'm cooking with gas!
    I'm also trying borax as a flux.

The propane can get the rod and the coupling nut into the red zone.
    So I spent a while heating the tip, putting borax on it, screwing the nut up to the end, heating more.

Then I use a hammer and pound the end down. It's all pretty soft and as I expect, the end of the nut mushrooms a bit. More heating and hammering.

I'm thinking, maybe that drive might have been more efficient? Hmmm.

Hammering and straightening. I get the hex back to shape and size to fit the wrench. Whew!

Attached Files:

19. jvin248

I finish off threading the far end of the truss rod, putting left handed threads on the rod and the matching nut.

I check it against the neck template I have and do some scribbling on my neck blank.

Overall length of the rod is 18inches. The rod itself and the thread size are much larger than the forces involved really require. Future builds I can scale back.

I still need to coat the rod in wax but I'll do that before final install.

Attached Files:

20. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you are the first one to make a rod like that here!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.