1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compensated saddles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by littlebadboy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

I upgraded to Joe Bardens 3 barrel compensated. Helped a lot, but I didn't notice I needed it til I made the switch. Cheap and fairly painless. And tone is better too

littlebadboy likes this.
  2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Thank you all for your comments and advice! Really appreciate it!

Been playing for awhile, sir. But I would call myself as an intermediate player. I recorded with a band, some gigs, I'm now older and just making songs on my DAW. I would like to serve in a worship band when my kids aren't so needy of me anymore. I have to admit that I'm not so good with guitar tech and this is my first tele (loving it!) that I have acquired not so recent.

I have replaced my pickups (Squire CV) to hotter overwound neck and single sized humbuckers. Nothing wrong with stock, but it didn't fit my need. Also changed the electronics with Fender switch and pots with the help of Moosie. Just so happened that I have some money to spend and looking what I can upgrade on my baby. As I mentioned, I can live by the stock bridge as it is now as I just split the difference in intonation. I usually vibrato the string anyway when I hold a note. But if a bridge + saddles upgrade will have some considerable tone improvement, I would swap it.

Since the majority of the replies says it is just an improvement on intonation, perhaps I would put it down at the end of my mod wish list. I would probably just get the d-tuner.

Just making the guitar into what I need it to do for me.

As usual, thank you for the complete explanation! I really appreciate it. As mentioned above, I would just probably put it as least priority on my mod wish list. I'll probably just get a d-tuner to switch to drop d tuning easily.

Does the ash tray bridge type of material has anything to do with the telecaster's tone? If ever, do I need to just upgrade saddles and keep my stock ash tray? Some say it is thin.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

IMHO, the plate is fine. Just swap the saddles, if you feel the need.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

One of my partscasters has a set of Wilkinson intonated saddles and it works fine. In fact, one of the 2 or 3 luthiers I trust, complemented me on my choice of bridge and how he could intonate it well and easily.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Of course not.

6. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Actually, improved my MIM Tele. Warmth a bit, and a little more twang.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Actually, I notice improved nuances of tone the more percisely my guitar is in tune, especially on chords and intervals. Additionally, I'm more inspired by sweeter sounding in tune sounds, so that inspiration enhances my technique, which in turn, makes my tone better. Every aspect of a guitar and the whole playing experience can have some effect on all the others. It's a "cumulative" thing! :D
    That's About It,
    Gene

rze99 and Dobronaut like this.
  8. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It is thin, and therein lies the heart of my Telecaster's tone. Or some of it anyway. That thin, cheap, stamped steel sounds more Tele-like than any nicer option I've ever tried (and I've tried a few).

Looking at a Tele for the first time, you'd think WTF, leftover tractor parts? I don't know how much was accident, frugality, or design, but it friggin works, that's for sure.

littlebadboy and Amby like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.