1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Compensated saddles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by littlebadboy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Hello! I know there are threads about this already. But, I wanted to know if the aftermarket compensated threads out there would fit my Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster? And... if it is really worth it? My stock ones is fine by me, but if it would make considerable tone improvement, I would consider it. Does orig Fender or Wilkinson matter? I see more expensive Barden ones, are they better?

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If three-barrel intonation doesn't bug you, then I'd save the money.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

AS I've said many times before you can intonate vintage 3 saddle types accurately with a pair of pliers after you get it close (bend the screws).

"compensated" staggered saddles may or may not improve your intonation. And definitely won't work if you try to use a wound g string.

They work pretty much as accurately as a compensated acoustic saddle is out of the box.

rze99 and littlebadboy like this.
  4. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

I have a Wilkinson Bridge, and it intonates perfectly. The saddles are available for $14 shipped on eBay, and will fit any three saddle bridge. Only issue I have is the high E wants to end up in the height adjustment screw hole at first. But it has made a groove for it's self now.

I also have Some Gotoh InTune saddles, which are higher quality. I haven't used them yet as they are for a guitar build in progress. They are about $30 on eBay, and I would go with those over the Wilkinson given a choice.

Fender makes Individual string adjustable three saddle sets, but I am not sure how well the work. They are more expensive than Gotoh also.

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

New compensated saddles are not going to make any noticeable difference to your tone unless you have an ear like Eric Johnson...I sure don’t. Having said that I changed out the stock saddles on my mim telecaster to Glendale brass compensated saddles to improve the intonation and they did just that for me.

littlebadboy likes this.
  6. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Wilkinson bridge +1

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

But, no improvement on tone?

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Define 'improvement in Tone'. Difference, probably. What may sound 'improved' to me might sound like donkey-doo to you. There's plenty of people who will separate you from your dough and imply you will sound like [insert guitar hero here] and I'm sure some people get inspiration out of believing their equipment is better - more power to them.

Do you perceive an issue with your sound now?

If not, spend money on a setup and lessons or save for a cool amp, if you're a relative beginner; check back in when you have an issue. The CV Tele is a good instrument. It can from videos I've watched put out great tones.

My Tele has straight saddles, I play in a couple bands with keys and have no issues with intonation. I have a trick that helps I find works.

littlebadboy likes this.
  10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

They help with intonation you wont gain tone.
    If your guitar doesn't intonate properly then the compensated saddle will help with that.

littlebadboy likes this.
  11. moosie

Improvement in tone...

I find that the best-sounding Tele bridge is the inexpensive stamped steel original version, .048" thick, with the crimped corners. Anything fancier (read: thicker, machined) sounds less lively to me.

I like Rutters cold-rolled-steel Broadcaster saddles, which happen to be compensated. The compensation doesn't change a thing, except that the guitar intonates a bit more accurately than before. The saddle composition (steel), and possibly their size (these are the 5/16" fat ones), make all the difference to me, over brass. A lot of people prefer the sound of brass. Different tastes.

Compensation is about intonation, not tone.

littlebadboy likes this.
  12. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

For allllll the guys who say "you can't hear it", I bet most don't ever play past the 5th fret.
    If you venture up the neck further, like I do, you Can hear it go out of tune pretty easily.

13. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Meh. I have them on mine, had it not came with them i would be ok too.

littlebadboy likes this.
  14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm confused. Nobody stated they can't hear the guitar go out of tune with poor intonation from crummy saddles. What is being said is the overall guitar tone does not change with new saddles.

Of course the guitar stays in tune up the neck better, that is what good intonation is all about.

littlebadboy likes this.
  15. moosie

That's intonation, not TONE.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Does improved intonation mean improved tone? It's a goofy argument. The word 'tone' has no meaning when describing how a guitar sounds.

17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a freind with a 69 strat he put a compensating NUT on the neck and then proceeded to use the staggered saddles, this totally defeated his ability to intonate properly as he was adgusting the adjustment , doesnt make sense , any way A compensating NUT on a 3 barrel woulds probably make more sense and work better to fine tune for string guage and intonation, I am quite sure there are differing opinions on this,

littlebadboy likes this.
  18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't your tone with changing saddles depend on what those saddles were made of?

If you started with brass, and went to brass compensated, I don't think you're going to have a tone change.

If you start with brass, and change to steel, or something else (aluminum, titanium, copper, steel) I think you're most definitely stepping into new tone territory.

littlebadboy likes this.
  19. moosie

There's nothing tonally "wrong" with stock Tele saddles. You can tweak the tone by using different materials, such as brass, steel, or aluminum. You can even mix and match, to adjust the tone on pairs of strings, like aluminum on the E/A.

The common complaint about three-barrel saddles is that they don't allow for each string to be individually intonated. Since one saddle supports two strings, intonation is a compromise. One string will fret a bit sharp, and one a bit flat.

If this seems horrible, consider that the guitar is an imperfect instrument. Without using a compensated nut, and compensated frets, it's impossible for every note, all over the neck, to play in tune. Many bridges don't allow for ANY intonation adjustment. Acoustics typically have a compensated saddle, but it's not adjustable. The popular rocking bar bridge on a Gretsch is just a straight bar. One big saddle, like an acoustic, but not compensated at all. Rudimentary compensation is achieved by angling the whole bridge (it floats) on the guitar body. Same with Les Pauls, before the ABR bridge.

Point being, the Tele is not the caveman intonation some make it out to be. Every PAIR of strings is adjustable. The pairs are adjacent, making the difference between them fairly small. Many players intonate plain Tele saddles by splitting the difference, and do that for years, without a care.

If you do care to get closer to perfect intonation (it'll never be perfect while still using a fixed nut and fixed, straight frets), you can get compensated barrels, or you can get a 6-saddle bridge. Many feel that the 3-barrel adds something to the Tele sound, that's lost by switching to a 6-saddle bridge.

The comp saddles come in three general forms, all accomplishing the same feat of moving the leading edge of the saddle back on one side, where the B, G, and low E strings will ride.

Fender, Barden and others, angle the barrels. Wilkies (and others) exchange the top half of the barrel for two ridges, one forward, one back. Rutters does a similar thing, but with more subtlety, retaining the overall barrel shape. The tiny string grooves contain a small ridge, or takeoff point, that's forward or rearward.

The different methods might affect tone only in the sense that Wilkies have less metal. Generally, the difference is cosmetic, and possibly accuracy.

Rutters

IMG_1858 (1).jpg

Wilkinson

BP-2327-008-web.jpg

Barden / Fender

BardenVintageTele.jpg

swany and littlebadboy like this.
  20. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

If it's out of tune
    It's out of Tone . . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.